No announcement yet.

65 C hood kink, new projct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaps done, laser is out to tram and check distances.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2018-01-04.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	95461

Laser water line to measure panel positions verticals

Name:	image_2018-01-04-2.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	95462
    Looking well overall, now off to order the paint. Have Johns color card to computer match
    IRISCHGRUEN 6406. If it was my car it would be AURATIUMGRUEN 5712 my favorite green on any porsche. I had one in the 60's it polishes up well and does not show dirt. But it's not mine.
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Staying Irish Green? If so, great color! Thanks for the update John.
      Justin Rio

Comment

All the body metal work is finally finished. Have to replace the battery bracket, "oh by the way". But no sweat easy to get at and have a new bracket in hand. Irish Green next week.

Name:	image_2018-01-17.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	95737

Name:	image_2018-01-17-2.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	95738

Name:	image_2018-01-17-3.jpeg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	95739

Name:	image_2018-01-17-4.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	95740

Name:	image_2018-01-17-5.jpeg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	95741

Comment

The saga progresses. This is a Karman coupe, so it has some extra rubber drain plugs that I have not seen before. Under the rear vent windows and a pair under the windshield.

Name:	image_2018-01-24.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	95974
          They are in the lower corner under the windshield seal. The just drain inside, under the dash, outboard of the defroster duct and have no drain hose. It would appear to just drip on your leg or puddle on the mat.

Name:	image_2018-01-24-2.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	95975
          Passengers side is still there but the drivers was missing. I can not find them in my parts book, anyone have an idea of the nomenclature or part number on these drains? I am thinking these are more of a dam than a drain. Thinking about just countersinking the hole a little using a little seam sealer and leaving the plug out. This is a dry area so it should be OK. Your thoughts.

The good news is there is no shinny green paint remaining on the body now. Dash is repaired and sanded. My fingers are sore from the edges, inside radius on the radio and ash tray. Paint is a week or so.

Name:	image_2018-01-24-3.jpeg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	95976
          Thanks for looking

Comment

John, I added drain holes in the front and rear corners of my A coupe a few years back. What little rust it originally had was directly due to water finding its way back in there with no place else to go but in which rusted out my Original dash topper and the upper left inner corner of the engine compartment. Regardless of how new the seal is some moisture will get in between there so I prefer the idea of giving it an exit. On your car I'd make the existing windshield holes functional by either soldering or welding a nipple to the inside then run some small diameter rubber hose out into the door wells. This is what I did.

Great progress!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Hey John,

Karmann added a whole lot of drainage holes and plugs throughout their cars to try to prevent the rapid rusting that these cars experienced. I documented these changes that were unique to Karmann as compared to the other karosseries on my build here on ABCGT. Below is a picture of an OEM windshield drainage hole and plug.

Name:	90WindshieldDrainageHoleandPlug.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	95983

Unfortunately, they drained into the cabin, so Justin's idea to add a nipple and tube is very good.

HTH.

John
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks, I agree. This little hole caused the package shelf on my 912 to rust out. Fixing that was the window corner replacement adventure and new woven interior last winter. Looking to see if I can design a tube or hose from this drain to the wheel well. I like a metal brake line tube welded at both ends, it's just so tight inside to get to.

Comment

John
                  If you use a break line, might be easier to attach a fitting at each end, then bolt like to the fittings.

I dread looking under the parcel shelf on my 69 912.

Phil

Comment

if you use a brake line tube I would coat the inside with something to keep it from rusting on the inside and eventually plugging. to install, drill the hole in the proper place then use panel adhesive to hold it in . this way its all sealed up no bare metal were the hole was drilled and no leaks. I've done this with other cars and had excilent results.

Comment

Holes are there already. I may flare the brake line top and weld it, then grind and polish it on top, exit out the side high aft of the speaker dome. Then cut it flush in the fender/ door well. That way it would not draw the attention of the authenticity police. Probably not see too much water, it's not like a sunroof drain, and no rubber hose to crack.

Real fun would to carefully part mark the tubes with a 644.628.305.01 & .02 and a little SKF triangle. Then in 50 years, the expert R club could argue online where that came from, with no Brad Ripley to act as tie breaker.

Comment

JB wrote: "in 50 years, the expert R club could argue online where that came from, with no Brad Ripley to act as tie breaker."

When Brad himself is no longer able to break ties, his ghost will still haunt such gatherings of authenticity. In the meantime, make sure your faux "original" drain tubes are really, really CLEAN for Concours presentation!

I like that idea. Create a faux Kardex with a Swabish-termed "window drain option" on it as "delivered new." With the new seals not doing what their name implies very well, it will drain the water away to less enable rust creation.

The existence of those holes with the plastic plugs in the them is still to me an aborted attempt by Karmann to have their 356 bodies outlast those of all other subcontractors to Porsche. Why plugged, why there at all? I theorize that Karmann did that on their own but expected Porsche to pay more for that feature and the Porsche accountants counted to Nein! The project ended on all fronts and as long as the plugs stayed intact, the cars stayed dry inside.

This is, I'm sure, is analogous to the Continental scripts being replaced by European scripts...because there were already holes in the fenders. Another noble idea that needed plugging.

(please note, I edited this post due to a re-reading that was embarrassing due to bad spelling in both English and German and other obvious mistakes, sorry.)

-Bruce

Comment

Finally got the paint, starting to green up a little. Cut in and drying for a few days. We progress. The PPG DDC Acrylic Urethane goes on quite nice and covers well. Flashes in a few minutes. Works fine, but I still prefer the Old single stage Glasurit

Name:	image_2018-02-09.jpeg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	96723

Name:	image_2018-02-09-2.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	96724

Name:	image_2018-02-09-3.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	96725

Name:	image_2018-02-09-4.jpeg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	96726

Color the body next week sometime. Thanks for looking

Comment

Love the color. Do you have a paint booth? How do you keep the overspray and fumes out of the air?
                            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Agree, I like the colour John has chosen as well.Looking very nice.

Roy

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X