Gmund GT 356/2 062 driven by Guillermo Suhr/Oscar Alfonso
    DNF
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GS.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	42020

Comment

• Thanks Gerard! The photo above your last must be the DNF shot of this race.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	gmund93.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	42274

Comment

• Some history around the above pic posted yesterday by Vance
          Obviously this pic represent Porsche mecanic maintening 2 off 356 GT
          On the roof of nearest car a rallye plate number 22 with around the indication of the rallye : Liege Rome Liege 1952
          I thinck these 2 cars are in the Porsche race atelier who according to Jacques Mertens was located in a small wooden building at the back of the Reutter plant
          Always according to Jacques this building was just large enough to admit 2 cars
          Here a pic taken from Jacques site porsche356sl.com

Name:	JM.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	42326

Comment

• Now I said 1952 because I know that this year Hushke Von Hanstein drove the Porsche race number 22

Name:	LRL521.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	42328

Comment

• To complete my story may be you remember that this same 1952 year the Liege Rome Liege rallye was won by Gilberte Thirion Gmund 356SL 356/2 061 driven for this only rallye by Helmut Polensky/Werner Schulter with the race number 81

Name:	HLRLHPWS.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	42330

Comment

• This victory was so important for Porsche that the below picture was turned into a very famous publicity poster

Name:	LRL52HPWS.JPG
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	42332

Comment

Name:	Poster.JPG
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	42334

Comment

• And now the little story behind this victory
                    Huscke Von Hanstein and Helmut Polensky had the same age
                    Before the 2nd world war as young fortunate sportmen they competed once against the other on BMW 328 and Polensky was far better driver than Huscke and from that time Huscke did not liked Helmut
                    Helmut Polensky was a gentleman driver and in the 50's Porsche plant use it a official driver
                    Helmut was willing to race the 1952 Liege Rome Liege rallye but Huscke decided that a will drive one (car number 22) of the 2 official Porsche race cars the other one (car number 3 being given to Petermax Muller if I remember well but I may be wrong
                    Anyway no official Porsche race car available for Helmut
                    Some weeks before the Liege Rome Liege rallye Helmut Polensky met Gilberte Thirion and his father Max during the coupe des Alpes rallye (again not sure at 100 % of that)
                    Helmut car was stopped by a petrol pump failure
                    Gilberte and Max stopped along to help him and by chance had a spare pump in their car which allowed Helmut to finish the rallye
                    That was the start of a long friendship story who lasted until their death
                    Furthermore Helmut wife Ingeborg became the favorite Gilberte co pilot
                    Helmut made the following deal with Gilberte and Max Thirion :
                    Gilberte will let Helmut to drive her car for the 1952 Liege Rome Liege race and nin exchange Helmut will arrange with Porsche factory that 356/2 061 be entirely updated as the last race cars
                    End of the story Helmut win the race and the 2 official Porsche cars had to retire following accidents

Comment

• And to end this story a fantastic pic showing that nothind is lost at the Porsche plant
                      Below several 718RSK beeing prepared in a Porsche workshop in say 1958
                      If you look carefully on the wall in between the 2 windows you will see as decoration the 3 Liege Rome Liege 1952 race plates 22 38 61

Name:	LRL228138.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	42337

Comment

Name:	Tevent1306_2014-05-16.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	42359

Comment

• I have always wondered the thought's of the workers in these type photos. Are the annoyed? Do they care?
                          52 split window
                          62 T-6 cab

Comment

• From experience of many years ago working a large press in a factory, making car bits (pre Uni), probably very bored!

Comment

• Great observation Tony! They all seem to have "that look" don't they? Now that you mention it the only ones smiling and hooping it up in these old shots are the drivers and upper management at these race or special events; not so much with the guys down in the pits. I'm pretty sure that I must have a similar look on my face as I drudge through on my projects.
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	gmund67.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	42413

Name:	gmund200.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB