Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	60665

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	60666
    Originally posted by Trevor" post=26987
    Thanks for joining this site Jim and posting!

Jim - Are you aware of any car shows that cater specifically to the coachbuilt cars? D&S, Rometsch, Denzel, etc............
    ..... The shame is that outside of the occasional one or two seen at the VW Classic, Laguna Seca or VW Treffen every other year, there really isn't a car show for them to be displayed at - not a VW and not a Porsche, so they kind of fall into no mans land. Do you think that if there was a special section at one of the 356 shows such as Dana Point or North meets South we could rally the troops and get a lot of them to attend?
    Here are a few shots from the PCA 50th anniversary Parade at Hershey, 2005. Funny-looking cars with Porsche engines appeared welcome, as well as at least one with the name Abarth attached.

Jim, I was really, really tired and you looked the same as we returned to the White Rose at Hershey last month and we did not have a chance to say hello. I have a Denzel brochure somewhere in my memorabilia I will scan and post here when found.

Regards,
    -Bruce

Comment

• Back to Otto Mathe life after the Friedrich Huber Porsche special diversion
      Otto Mathe after a normal education,specialized in mechanical engineering
      and at the age of 20 joined an Innsbruck mechanical plant
      At that time all his interest was for bicycle racing and after for motorbike racing
      From 1927 to 1934 he won many races on all kind of surfaces : racetrack, sand, grass and ice
      On September 30th 1934, he had a very serious accident taking part to the Graz Sandbadrennen
      He rescape from this accident, but lost the use of the right arm

Name:	ottomathe1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	60691

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottomathe64Bras.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	60693
        On the above pic of Otto Mathe with his type 64 Berlin Rome race car the paralysed right arm is easily visible

Comment

• Comment

Name:	Ottomathe54.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	60696

Name:	Ottomathe55.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	60697

Name:	Ottomathe80.JPG
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	60698

Comment

• Otto Mathe run this busines until 1991 when he sold it to a German company who still is on the market

Name:	Ottomathe26.JPG
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	60704

Comment

Name:	Ottomathe67.JPG
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	60712
                sponsorship

Comment

Name:	Ottoathefiatballila.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	60714

Comment

Name:	Ottomatheinnsbruck48fiat.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	60716Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottomathefiatballila.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	60717

Comment

Name:	Ottomathe78.JPG
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	60744
                      to have it back from the company who bought his oil and lubricant business

Comment

• Ferdinand Porsche had 3 cars built for the 1938 Berlin Rome Berlin race
                        race who was never raced due to the Hitler Anschluss
                        These 3 cars were owned by the Porsche family
                        In the middle of the war (1943) at least one car was moved from the Stuttgart Porsche plant to the Zell am Zee Porsche family hous

Name:	Ottomathe64Gmund49.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	60746
                        one of the 3 type 64 in the Porsche Zell am Zee garden

Name:	Ottomathe6439FerryP.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	60747
                        The young Ferry Porsche very proud to show his father type 64 to friends

Name:	Ottomathetyp64accident.JPG
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	60748

Comment

Name:	Ottomathe92.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	60751
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Sorry please scratch the above wrong post here the correcft one

Name:	Ottomathe64history_2015-05-08.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	60753

Comment

• This car is in fact a unique car for two reasons :
                              It is the first car to wear the name Porsche even before the first 356

Name:	Ottomathe641.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	60757

Name:	Ottomathe35.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	60755

Name:	Ottomathe62.JPG
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	60756
                              It is also the first RHD Porsche as Otto Mathe had it converted to RHD to drive it as explained at the start of this post

Comment

• Porschinelle yesterday posted a photograph of an Otto Mathe Bardahl ad that appeared in the U.S. "Holiday" magazine. Here's my story of that ad:

Otto Mathe and his Berlin Rome coupe attended a Porsche 356 Registry Holiday in Monterey, California in 1998. Gene Babow had visited Mathe a few years earlier, and he is the one who invited Mathe. Before the event I recalled that years earlier I had seen a large full-page ad for Bardahl Oil in some magazine. The ad had a wonderful photograph of Mathe racing his Berlin Rome coupe. I thought maybe it was in a non-automotive magazine called "Holiday", published in the U.S. At the time I was working far from my home on a very time-consuming engineering project. There was no nearby large library, so I called my wife at home and asked her to do a search at our local large library. I told her to look in the old issues of Holiday magazne. She did, and managed to find the ad.

This was 17 years ago, before it was so easy to find and obtain things through the internet. I called all kinds of used book and magazine stores, mainly ones in California. I managed to get seven copies of that old Holiday magazine. I took them to Monterey with me. At the Registry concours, where Mathe was showing his coupe, I walked up to Mathe and had him autograph one of the ads for me. Then I had my wife do the same. Then my friend Bruce Anderson. Then his wife, etc. I ended up with each of the seven ads autographed. After about the fourth one Mathe asked "Where are all these old magazines coming from??" I later gave several of them away and traded a couple away, but I still have one!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X