PORSCHE 356 NOS Green Metal 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PORSCHE 356 NOS Green Metal 101

Having had more than one conversation with Justin over discrepancies in reproduction metal, we decided to post images and start a thread on Porsche Green Metal. Unmolested 356 examples have become more difficult to find as reference material for the quality and detail expected of the demands of accurate restorations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedstertinretail.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	52075
    We BUY $ell Trade any NOS green Porsche metal!
    Call toll free today.
    877-356-8827

Name:	IMG_2039.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	52079
    Call toll free today.
    877-356-8827

Comment

Thanks Ric! This should be a very fun and enlightening topic. I am very interested in knowing the subtlest of details concerning what was originally stamped into a factory part versus what is available today. That's a very interesting trunk floor you have. By the lateral holes in the gas tank area I assume this is for 356BT5. Not only is it RHD but looks to be also set up for the large 80LTR. GT tank. IE. the longer strap leads, lack of strap loops for the standard tank and the twin smaller holes toward the front for a GT strap mount. Can you take a photo of the underside of that lower GT strap mount area? I'd like to know is there is a reinforcement plate spot-welded on. Thanks! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Good eye Justin! Most green metal panels from Porsche have black marker, hand written numbers that generally match the sticker on the part on the opposite side. Floor - No Longer Available
        Looking it up in the factory catalog: Floor - No Longer Available

Name:	801-05.gif
Views:	144
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	52084

Name:	IMG_2048.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	52082

Name:	IMG_2049.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	52083
        Call toll free today.
        877-356-8827

Comment

Interesting how the fuel cock opening had its flanges hammered flat then quickly plated over. Today we certainly worry about details that they could of cared less about.
          I've had a few NOS pieces over the years but gradually sold them off to pay for other parts that I wanted. The only one I've kept was this NOS rights side speedster door top:

Name:	Achassis2491.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	52086

Name:	Achassis2493.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	52087
          Part#

Name:	Achassis2494.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	52088
          "door Sill" barely readable from age.

Name:	Achassis2492.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	52089
          Ferrules were brazed in then it was all primered over in green. This was actually good thing as its preserved the original chrome plate.

Name:	Achassis2495.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	52090
          I paid 300 bucks for it about 10 years ago...wonder what its worth now?
          Justin Rio

Comment

Love this topic and I wish I could contribute something NOS green, but I just don't have anything. This is a great resource for those of us who care about original panel fit and shape. Keep those pictures coming!

That oval patch Justin mentioned is really interesting! Kind of factory blooper or at least a not so elegant revision change.
            Thank guys,
            Tom

Comment

NOS C rear clip that used to have another color....it was e-coated to clean it up and save it.
              I thought of the extra small pieces of metal stripe behind the emblems to make it thinker and firmer.
              Photo was taken by Mike @ PRS many years ago to show me what I was buying from him.
              / Per

Name:	image_2014-11-10.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	52102
              JOP

Comment

NOS rear wing.
                To show the litle piece of metal under the window channel.
                And how panel used to be delivered.
                Photo taken by Mike @ PRS

Name:	image_2014-11-10-2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	52104
                JOP

Comment

Anyone have any speedster quarter panels similar to what JOP posted? We will buy them! We can trade a cab rear quarter, or other green panels. This one came in this reddish oxide primer, not green.

Name:	image_2014-11-10.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	52109
                  Call toll free today.
                  877-356-8827

Comment

Your speedster door top is worth a lot more than you paid Justin. The article below shows the repro ones now apparantly available along with wired wheel arch repair panels.

I have spoken about the 356 wheelarch items to KK as Jan on Samba has also, for his resto but very strange, neither of us has had an answer. I was advised the wired wheelarch items were being produced by KK not Simonsen their normal body part supplier.

Name:	rsz_2014_1118_wheelarch_repair_006.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	52111

Roy

Comment

Name:	image_2014-11-10-4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	52114
                      Richie has had this product for some years...... I was told inhouse production and about 90 mm of metal on the arch.

Name:	image_2014-11-10-3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	52113
                      JOP

Comment

Per,

Thank you for posting the good photos of thee wired wheel arch panels.

I will advise Jan on Samba forum to phone them not mail.

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy! I knew it was better than money in the bank or in stock market weather I ever use it for my project or not.

Name:	Achassis2503.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	52139
                          I do have a mate for it though not NOS but original and in very rare cherry condition. Even the chrome ferrules are nice.

Name:	Achassis2504.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	52140
                          Followed the factories lead and primed the whole thing to preserve the chrome..
                          Justin Rio

Comment

11/13/14

Well I don't have anymore green metal but I knew my buddy here in town had a few pieces up in his rafters so I went by today and took a few shots of his remaining stash. Lets start with this mouth watering T-6 B/C trunk floor section:

Name:	3562713.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	52276

Name:	3562714.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	52277

Name:	3562716.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	52278

Name:	3562715.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	52279

Name:	3562727.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	52280
                            I was really amazed about how intricate this piece was; right down to the vertical embossment relief for the suspension horn.

Name:	3562728.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	52281
                            Your VIN# here...

Name:	3562729.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	52282

Name:	3562730.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	52283

Name:	3562717.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	52284

Name:	3562718.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	52285
                            This piece had to have required several rounds of pressing before it was over..

Name:	3562719.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	52286
                            He's had this part for over 35 years and was one of several purchased from Gary Emory back in the early 80's. As I took these shots he was explaining that this floor was one of about 20 stacked together and like many other structural parts like this: "they were really nothing, no body had any use for them in California back then , our cars weren't rusty. Maybe to repair a wreck which is what prompted him to buy this piece in the first place but back then there was no real demand for this stuff. Keep thinking about that time machine... Hope I took enough photos of this piece.
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

My '59 GS twin-grill eng. lid was in grn. primer when I got it from a friend back in the mid-80s. Aside from paint, it remains unmolested on the back of the Trusty Coupe.

It had its part no. tag still on it, but despite some care, it has not aged well at all. This is unfortunate as I have not been able to find anyone who can tell me the part no. for this piece. I even called the guy in N.E. Europe (forgot his name), but he told me the piece does not exist.

Anyone out there have a clue?
                              ----------
                              Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Working...
                              X