Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A newly discovered dream find speedster project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack and Justin,

Thanks very much for advising its an air scoop. I just could not see that. Great pictures Jack of the restored ones.

Cheers

Roy

Comment

Quick story about those 'unusual' type of brakes...I met Bill Jones in San Antonio in '69 and returned to the Philadelphia area when I left the service. I 'inherited' the Porsche oriented shop of Jack Heron in '72 where I had apprenticed off and on for years and with that came a lot of parts.

Jack was the area's 4-cam guru and lots of street and race cars populated that small shop and racks held spare 1500, 1600 and 2-ltr motors and parts rebuilt or waiting to be.

Bill called and asked if I knew of a good front RSK drum he could buy to replace a bad example on one of his cars, so for all he had done for me while in Texas, I sent a NOS drum as a gift, still in the special wooden box with the handwritten part number on it. He still will bring that up in conversation, so it must have made an impression.

Forty years ago, things were 'different' in many regards. (This reminds me that I must call Bill and see how he is doing.)

-Bruce Baker

Comment

Guys,

Just to be sure---probably all know---this is/was not a 4-cam car.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

I'll bet he still remembers that Bruce; what a nice gift that was. Sure was a different time...

Thanks for the confirmation Steve. I am almost surprised to hear that its not; this guys been batting a thousand so far with this thing!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Surprise, surprise! The auction was pulled before the 12Hr deadline. Can't say that I blame him; I'd bypass all those fees they pile on and deal privately too. Would love to know what it ultimately went for though.
            Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=9970
              Surprise, surprise! The auction was pulled before the 12Hr deadline. Can't say that I blame him; I'd bypass all those fees they pile on and deal privately too. Would love to know what it ultimately went for though.
              That really borders on unethical IMO. What was the last bid amount? Ad now only shows $1000.
              Mark Erbesfield
              57 356A
              65 911
              68 912
              73 911S
              66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Last time I saw it $86k.
                60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Originally posted by merbesfield" post=9975
                  Originally posted by JTR70" post=9970
                  That really borders on unethical IMO. What was the last bid amount? Ad now only shows $1000.
                  I agree. Bypassing fees that you agree to in the beginning isn't right. I've lost out on several machines I had bids on when the seller pulls the ad.
                  Mic
                  1959A coupe

Comment

"Bordering on unethical" I would agree with that too. My disdain for Ebay got the better of me in my earlier post. I used to sell alot of parts on there but with thier ever increasing fees and charges I quit. I too have lost several items because the auction was ended early. Thats why if its something I am really serious about I always contact the seller directly to make sure the rug doesn't get pulled out from under me. So this auction was no Surprise. Sure would like to know what it sold for though...
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

I have been on ebay for 13 years and while I dont like the cost or the way they do somethings I sell stuff on there that I would have to literally throw away because no-one local would take much less buy.
                      60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

I have done business on ebay for just about as long Brock. You're right it is a fantastic place to sell "junk" that otherwise you'd have trouble finding a buyer for. As a matter of fact it was my "go to" place right up until about a year ago. It was fun and exciting to see some items I would have been content getting 20 bucks for going for +3 times as much at auctions end. It was fun, addicting and felt a little like gambling. Before the economy tanked of course. Also once my sellers fees went from an average of 75-100 a month to 3 and 4 hundred a month I just got aggravated and stopped. The new and exciting fees they keep coming up with just pissed me off. I do miss the old days though...
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Let's just hope the car went to a good home and some stupid flipper did not get his hands on it (I fear that has happened but who knows)

Comment

Why is it bad if a flipper buys it? I understand it will drive the price higher most likely but if he can make a buck good for him (imo). If he has the car restored & then sells it, then it will be back in circulation so to speak. No matter what in the end it will probably end up where someone will garage it, look at & keep it for an investment instead of driving it like it should be used.
                            Mic
                            1959A coupe

Comment

I think that Joris is just a romantic at heart and would prefer to see the car with its final "end user" who will truly love and cherish the car. Not a "cold calculating dealer" who is only about the "flip". Unfortunately Joris we've already witnessed the "first flip". How many more before it arrives at a good home?
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=10070
                                How many more before it arrives at a good home?
                                And once it's arrived at a good home, will the price have been driven up to the point no reasonable person could afford to restore/repair it.

IMO, nothing wrong with people making a profit on hard work. "Flipper" implies people whose only goal is minimum investment for maximum return.
                                Jack Stenner
                                ---------------
                                1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                                1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Working...
                                X