Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A newly discovered dream find speedster project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know what you mean Bruce, Once something hits a new record price everyone thinks thats it until the new record price is set making the old one appear to be such a killer deal in retrospect. Eveything's relative.

You might think its foolish Brock but I have it on good authority that these deals happen with regularity. These "puzzle" cars are put together as a package and the Europeans snap them up. Then in short order they are asking for more..

Mark, Brock was referring to those garbage cans I posted shots of earlier. Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

So how would you go about explaining to the next generation that these cars are really worth this much & they should get involved? They are very slow, only good in sunny weather (unless you like leaky tops) & at these prices you wouldn't want to drive it much. Say it sells at 125 & then 75 more to fix it, that's 200k. IMO someone would be crazy to pay that. I do think these cars are cool but getting way overpriced for my taste.

For 200k I could go to Beck & get three cars, a Spyder, a Speedster & a 904. I would rather have 3 replicas I could drive all over than one real one that I could take to Porsche shows. Sorry for the rant but I just don't see why people are paying this much money.
      Mic
      1959A coupe

Comment

Yes I ment the few parts that look like they were a 356. When I had my Boss 302 it was a rough project and had lots of patch panels. The Boss forum guys were all bent out of shape at the time over mine and other cars still being called original Bosses because of the little ammount of original parts left. This does not seem to bother the Porsche crowd unless it has RSR on it.
        60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

I think what you have to explain to the next generation Mic is that 356 is a highly coveted collector car worth striving for. A rolling 401K, a tangible appreciating asset, A safe and fun place to park your money. Sure, for 200K you could buy alot of other toys that are faster and more modern like several replica Porsches, a brand new Porsche, hell even a lamborgini However, with each passing month and mile your original investment errodes. If your in a nice 356 your only headed up. Barring any misfortunes of accident or theft of course. Your coupe is perfect example would you trade straight across for an equally valuable newer modern 911 for your car? (Its faster, handles perfectly,all the bells and whistles) Hell no you wouldn't, why? because your car is appreciating, that flashy shiney 911 is only depreciating. Also you get way more compliments in your old coupe than you ever would with a new Porsche. So there is even more enjoyment while your out and about. Sorry to ramble on but my point is there is stability in having the real thing and that is the draw and continued climb in value concerning these cars. The next generation will understand that these are highly sought after cars and that they are worth striving for and anything worth having in life never comes easy or cheaply. They'll have to get thier feet wet in a replica then once the sickness sets in they'll become maniacs like we all are. The new reality is that the replica is now the entry level 356 for most which is also why this site welcomes them. I think the young and new replica owners are the future for keeping the flame lit for the originals.
          Justin Rio

Comment

It's 10 a.m. where I am and the bid is 86K+. The view meter is at 26,700 and rising fast. People are watching this one. I wonder how many e-mails the seller has received. Glad I didn't sell my Speedster back in 2003!

Comment

Ya almost sold it in '03 huh? I'll bet your glad you didn't! Whats always kept me from selling any of mine are all the car guys you talk to about vehicles they used to own and they all say the same thing: "sure wished I hadn't sold it" I just never wanted to be that guy...
              Justin Rio

Comment

Gotta love Cali...amazing a car like that can sit outdoors and not be dust by now.
                Jack Stenner
                ---------------
                1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

"sure wished I hadn't sold it" I just never wanted to be that guy...

You got that right, that's exactly what I keep saying everyday! Tho dollar signs sometimes get in the way.
                  Mark Erbesfield
                  57 356A
                  65 911
                  68 912
                  73 911S
                  66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                  79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Yes, I am absolutely glad I didn't sell it, but I have sold others I should have kept. In 2003 things were different. Years ago my stepmom sold Dad's 65 Cab, a top of the world, near concours example for $42.5 which was good money at the time. I talked to her about it a couple of weeks ago and you better believe she's sick about it. For now I'll just sit on mine.

Comment

1/12/13
                      Three days left and the seller just added two photos:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	dfs9.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	22541

Name:	dfs11.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	22542
                      The Car has GT brakes too! By the looks of the cooling fins they're probably RS61 drums. Appears to also have the HD sway-bar as well. The brakes alone easily Adds another 15-20K of value of this speedster!!
                      What a homerun find this was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Justin Rio

Comment

HHHHMMMMMMM Seems the original owner may have been a bit of a hot rodder. Wonder what was under the bonnet back then........
                        60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Justin,

I am confused by that backing plate with the curved section coming away from it. Why is that on there? I can't see it directing heat away only as a form of guarding?

Can you advise

Roy

Comment

Not Justin, but hopefully helpful

Here's a better view. There's a duct behind the screen that funnels air into the drum. It's pointed towards the front of the car:

http://www.specialtycarsservicecenter.com/Recent%20Projects/projects18.htm
                            Jack Stenner
                            ---------------
                            1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                            1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Sure looks like RSK/RS61 brake drums. Very cool Find!

Front

Name:	image_2013-07-13.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	22646

Rear

Name:	image_2013-07-13-2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	22647

Comment

Hey Roy, those are the screened air scoops. They look odd because the screens are clogged with grease and dirt.

Jack, thanks for fielding Roy's question and for providing that link. I've never been on specialty cars site before. It was so cool to see all those before shots of the brakes. I bought that set from Mark Burkitt about 3 years ago.

Name:	547233.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	22650
                                I had to step up big time for this set but Mark was kind enough to let me make install payments. A great guy!

Thanks for posting those additional shots of the drums on that Speedster Chad. I think you're right they are RSK. I thought they might be RS60 or 61 but they appear to be aluminium and not Magnesium like the RS60's are.

Name:	carrera1178.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	22651
                                The earlier shot of the edge of the fins next to the wheel told me that they might have been RS60 because they dont have the raised teeth at this edge like the RSK version does. A direct comparison shot above. Magnesium RS60 with out raised teeth and alloy RSK on bottom with the teeth. The ones on this speedster are most certainly alloy so the teeth were either removed or this is just another varient. BTW: those steel stock 15 inch wheels would never fit without a spacer had those teeth still been there.
                                Thanks again you guys! What a Score this car is! Just read the sellers update; he had no idea about the brakes until it was pointed out to him.
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X