Speedster in a Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster in a Barn

O.K. It' my Speedster in my barn. I started the rebuild in 86' in a rented warehouse. Built the barn in 98'. Finished Speedster in 2000 1 week before ECH. Took it to Roanoak and had a blast. 2003 had a kid, car broke, I'm broke. To be continued. Erik
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P6170248.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	20666

Like the monkey said when they cut off his tail, "It won't be long now". 66 912 almost ready to install.

Name:	P6170252.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	20668

Name:	P5290214.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	20669

Comment

What year is the speedster, tell us about it. Perhaps "before" restoration Images.
      Black is a rare color on late 57-58.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Erik! Cool little shop and a great looking Speedster! Black with polished Fuchs are my favorite custom combination.
        Really nice!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

84112 (AKA Ferdinand Von Stuffenhausen or "Ferdie)was born in late 1957 as a blue 58 T-2 Normal with red skins and oatmeal on the floor. In 1968 he was found hiding under a tarp in Seattle, sad and sick from being forced to race around tracks on the west coast fighting with others of his kind for several years. He was brought to southeast Alabama and in 1972 was resurrected in silver with dyed black insides. His 60 hp heart was broken so he got a transplant from a younger 616/36 brother with a third again as much power. I was 14
          the first time I met Ferdinand. I wasn't impressed. While Dad oohed and ahhed over the bathtub I was oogling it's stablemates, a 67 427/465hp vette roadster and a 73 Trans Am SD455 4 speed with a Pearl Beer tap handle for a shift knob! I listened to Bob as he excitedly explained how rare it was to find one of these not eat up with rust, that the only bad spot was in the floorboard under the pedals. I walked around to the back of the car and exclaimed "it's got a Volkswagon engine! They shared a hearty laugh but how was I supposed to know? Up until that day the only "Porsh" I had ever seen in Po-Dunk southeast Alabama was a 914 and everybody knew it was just a hopped-up VW that didn't have a V8 any couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt. Three weeks later Dad bought a 64 C coupe. Fast forward a few years. A second garage was built. Too small. A warehouse was rented. 40+ 356's came and went and a few hung around. I got to drive a 57 Coupe and had a free hand to customize/bastardize it as I saw fit. (still looking for pictures of it) I got to pick out color, interior, engine etc. from our parts dept. FF Bob found a 1 owner 62 Chevy 409 bubbletop he had to have and besides, he was a BIG man and he said the Speedster made his big ol' head look like a Macy's Parade float so Dad paid a $6,000 adoption fee and "Ferdinand" came to live with us on March 29, 1976 and Bob got his Bubbletop. FF My parents divorced, Dad remarried. I lost and found myself several times. My Dad was cut down in the prime of his life by a massive coronary. Life is cruel but you have to carry on. Dad always told me you can't stay where you are. If you're not moving forward, you're backsliding. FF 2 years. The scumdog lawyers are finished. Stepmom Judy (we're still friends today) got Marlene Von Stuffenhausen (65 Cab), I got Ferdinand, and my 5 siblings just wanted the money. I spent some time tuning up the car and made a few events and had lots of fun but the paint was tired, the clearcoat was yellowing and ominous, noxious looking bubbles were popping up in all the wrong places, not saying there are any good places. I was going to "fix" some of them and before I knew what happened, the hood and doors were off the paint was gone and the engine was inside on my coffee table! I think what happened to the paint was cocaine spilled on it during the prep phase. He was a better drug dealer than painter at least until he went to prison for trafficking. Where was I? Sorry, flashback. Nine months of scraping undercoating, minor bodywork, then off to Beal Hardy in Atlanta for a front half floorpan, small spot in battery box, and a little work on the passenger side cowl in front of the door. WHAT COLOR? I think the door tag says 5707 and remnants of paint were indeed blue. The door panels were red under the cheap vinyl dye and the only factory carpet left were the scraps glued on as pads in various places although I suspect the original carpet was oatmeal. The human eye cannot focus red and blue simultaneously - every see the puzzles? I showed Ferdinand a magazine article about Steve McQueen's Speedster and he started to purr. To quote Yul Brenner, "So it is written, so shall it be done". And it was. Pictures forthcoming. Erik

Comment

84112 was indeed Aquamarine.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Thanks Erik! Great background story!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Great story and history, thx mate!

Comment

Erik, I can relate with your story on Ferdinand, My 55 Speedster Eleanor Was put in storage in my parents barn in summer of 1976 with broken transaxle. Like you no money to fix it. Eleanor sat there until I retired from the Air Force and pulled it out in 2008 and started putting her back on the road finally is road worthy by 2012. I bought Eleanor in 1965 my parents co-signed a bank note so I could purchase her. They did this as a graduation present and part in getting me to not drop out of high school.
                  I really enjoyed your story very nice looking Speedster. Thanks for sharing Ferdinand with us and what a great way to keep your memory lf your DAD close to your heart. Drive the wheels off Ferdinand and enjoy the memories with your Dad.
                  George

Comment

Great story! Its going to be sweet when you get to go for a ride again!!
                    60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

I'm hooked Erik, more...
                      trevorcgates@gmail.com
                      Engine # P66909... are you out there
                      Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

This is my Dad with the car that started the obsession. circa 1974

Name:	P6200301.JPG
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	20832

Comment

Three weeks later a couple that looked like Tiny Tim and Janis Joplin showed up with a rusted out 64 Euro SC Coupe - towing it behind an equally rusted out 50's Mercedes 600 Limo -no joke! Half an hour later we were dismantling our new parts car.

Name:	P6200298.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	20834

Name:	P6200299.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	20835

Comment

That's me on the left supervising a group of local neighborhood volunteers. When your dad has Porsches you are the coolest kid in the hood. We had just pulled this engine (Dad made me study the Elfrink's book) to put it in the other car.

Name:	P6200300Q.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	20837

Comment

Erik, Thank you! These are some really great vintage photos. Great shot of your dad and I especially like the shot of you and your friends working on that motor. It truely represents the "future" of this hobby and the passing of the torch. I can only hope there are similar photos being taken today. Did any of the guys there catch the porsche "bug" besides you? Thanks again, excellent posts!
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                              X