Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined today and in UK with 356C and 987 Boxster

Hello

I've signed up today and I have recently acquired a 1964 346 Coupe in quite respectable condition but needing some work.

So far we've had the clock repaired, got the radio working, replaced the brake light switch, all track rod ends, though they probably didn't need it and the steering box is away have a reground worm and new peg made. Everything seems pretty good, there's a tiny bit of rust, but that will wait, but I've ordered a new trim kit with leather seats from Lakewell.com in Belgium. They rank high.

Because of the box I've not done many miles in it, so can't wait for it to be back together so I can get driving.

I also have a Healey 3000, which is something of a contrast.

I'm UK based in the Cotswolds, a most beautiful area, so could be a tour guide if anyone is taking advantage of the falling pound and popping over.

Welcome Ashley. Nice 356. Healey is a great car also. Had a 100-4 years ago.

Phil Planck

Comment

Welcome Ashley! You'll find a lot of expertise here. I've had my 356 for 35+ years and I learn something everyday. Enjoy!
      Alex

Comment

Welcome Ashley and thank you for joining with us here! Congratulations on what appears to be by your photo and description, a very well preserved coupe. As this is your first 356 I think you did very well!
        Welcome once again!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks everyone very much. At the moment I'm trying to obtain key blanks for the transmission lock and the door, but don't know what to ask for. Is there a part number for the blank that would make it easy?

Comment

Have you seen http://derwhites356literature.com/ there's so much info on that website. I think they even have a section on keys, styles and what years they were for.

I also found this reference https://www.sierramadrecollection.com/files/keyServices.pdf

Comment

Welcome Ashley,
              Try this for your key needs:

http://www.lockandkeyid.com/

Cheers,
              Joel

Comment

Ashley,

Your car looks a very nice example indeed. I also live in the UK on the south coast. Good driving in the Cotswolds !!

Roy

Comment

Good to hear from you Roy. I was hoping to find other UK owners.

Comment

I recognize your name from the other site. Welcome aboard!

Mike
                    Mike
                    '63 B coupe

Comment

Joel wrote:
                      "Welcome Ashley, Try this for your key needs:
                      www.lockandkeyid.com/"

Be very careful. I am not throwing "Daskeyman" under the bus...BUT...

While Tony, my first business partner in the early '70s, is a VERY knowledgeable and talented man, I am getting regular requests for how to retrieve items sent to him for re-keying or rebuilding, chroming, whatever. A few years now of "how can I reach Tony?" Major players and individuals, both. I cannot help. I imagine he is so backed up he's spinning his wheels, laying low.. I guess "a victim of his own success."

Sadly, he is now not replying to even my VM's or emails, so Tony, if you are reading this, please let me have back the '55 356 door handle set I sent many months ago...done, in process or never begun. I will deal with that myself. No hard feelings, I just have a very nervous customer......

There are others who had been advertising in the Registry and now I see SM has a service for keys...but I'd contact Mike Smith if in the UK.

Bruce

Comment

Welcome Ashley to the best and friendliest 356 forum around.
                        Great to have another UK member on here.
                        More photos of your car please, and maybe start a thread in restoration projects so we can follow your journey.
                        Regards
                        Drew
                        Surrey UK

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help and hospitality and for other UKers for getting touch. I was beginning to think I was alone.

It seems to me that of I can't get a key cut in the UK or make my own from a blank that the best things is to buy new locks and keys. I'm four weeks into a five day steering box rebuild as I type, so the thought of chasing someone 5000 miles away.....

I'll sort out some photos as things progress.

Comment

Hi Ashley
                            There is a guy (Ben) here in the UK that can cut a key from your Porsche code.

keys in the post .com

mailto:enquiries@keysinthepost.com

The code is stamped onto the end of the door handle only visible after removing handle from door.
                            And assuming that the lock is still original to the handle.
                            Blanks are available from all the usual sources.
                            Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the key man! And another pic as promised.

Comment

Working...
                              X