"Perfect historical replica" of 550A #0140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Perfect historical replica" of 550A #0140

I am doing some research do have a historically correct aluminum replica built of 550A #0140 which is buried in Johannesburg South Africa somewhere. I am currently making a documentary about this Porsche - www.giantkiller.co.za

If anyone can send me some contacts or ideas, it will be much appreciated.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for joining us and welcome! I went to your site and not only was I impressed with its presentation but equally so with your passion and commitment to the 550A and in particular with #140. Well done!
    So were exactly are you at in this project build? Just the planning stage? Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin, thank you. At first I was actually only interested in making the documentary on this 550A #140 and how it came to be mysteriously buried somewhere beneath Johannesburg. But now I am also starting the process to build an actual museum piece. So, yes ... planning stage ...

Comment

There are several really talented shops that could perform the sheet metal work and the guy who performed the entire re-body on #141 is located in Lake Havasu Arizona:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	part6pic3.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	52166

Name:	part5titlepic.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	52167

Name:	part4pic2_2014-11-11.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	52168
        The 550A version space frame would be straight forward enough to replicate provided the original plans can be procured.

So is 140 still buried?
        Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin, yes #140 is still buried somewhere.

The body work on the 550A below is beautifully done. Really accurate. Where could I reach the artist who did that?

Comment

If you are searching internationally you may wish to consider Barry Carter, based in the UK. Search on the DDK site. However, like anybody good he has a very long waiting list.

Comment

I'll see if I can get that contact info for you. In the mean take a look at this: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/19930-Joe-Cavaglieri-workshop-video.html
              He's another artist who could most certainly perform the work.
              Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin! I sent Joe a message. He would be perfect as he has done a 550A before. Fingers crossed

Comment

Thx Neil, but I can't seem to find any details on Barry Carter...

Comment

Hi

are you still looking to build a 550A replica?

I can supply an accurate chassis copied from an original 550 A

I also can supply other parts

get in touch if you are interested

Dom

Comment

Frank,
                      See the March issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars for the article on Rainer Cooney's Spyder reproduction work. He could also be your man.
                      Cheers,
                      Joel

Comment

I forgot to mention

All my data came from 550 141. Steve kindly let me survey the car when it was in Bill Doyle's work shop in pieces being rebuilt. A long time ago now actually.

Ill post a picture when I get back to my studio.

We also have a perfect digital survey of the body and are in the process of making the buck.

Dom

Comment

Thank you Joel! I'll check it out.

Comment

Please Dom, that will be awesome. frank at smokejumpers dot co dot za

Comment

... now you got me drooling

Comment

Working...
                              X