THOUGHTS ON EXTERNAL COOLER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THOUGHTS ON EXTERNAL COOLER

Looking for your thoughts on an external oil cooler setup for a 356A with big bore 200 cam 40MM Weber's. the car is going to be a driver and my wife is going to be probably driving it a lot by herself. I'm a little worried about the stock oil cooler and the problems they have, cracked cooler mount. I would REALLY hate for her to get several hundred miles from home and have that problem. I would like to install an external oil cooler with the full-flow spin-on filter. I think this would be a great improvement. only problem I've seen is that most of these leak. there must be a way to install them and not have them leak. ANY thoughts on this would be great.
    thanks Jay D.

I understand the external filter, Percission Matters makes a easy to install spin on. Unless you live at the equator, and drive 100MPH all the time, the standard one is fine. Unless you want to add all the external pipes to install a Carrera system, all the aftermarket coolers change the look of the car. I have see one that installed in the left rear wheel well like the C2 but it's a big expense for not. New factory or aluminum cooler, properly installed will do you fine.
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

I have a front mounted external oil cooler and Oberg filter on my '59 356A and have had no problems whatsoever. I do not have a cooler under the fan shroud and run a small pulley as well and have never had problems idling in traffic. I do however live on Vancouver Island so even the summer temperatures are not terribly high. I do plan to add a thermostat as it is difficult to get the temp. up to 180 in the winter. The plumbing is all -10 Aeroquip with a Skirmants pressure limiting cover on the oil pump and has been completely trouble free. The motor is 1720cc with ported heads, Isky 1010A cam, 9.5 CR and 40mm Dell's.

Comment

THANKS for the input. my main concern is the stock cooler causing cracks it the case. the cooler could be mounted forward of the fan housing like we use to do with the VWs.and yes Aeroquip would be the way to go.
        Jay D.

Comment

Jay if your main concern is potential block fracturing I don't think you'll have any issues if you secure it properly. There is a mount on the very top of the cooler that secures it to the doghouse which reduces all the leverage. My 356 guru friend told me that more often than not he'd find it unsecured on these engines.

Welcome Geordie and thanks for joining us! looks like an interesting hotrod coupe there in your photo.
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

this is a 58 A it doesn't have the top mount. I've read an article by Gene Burg that explains that the engine will actually run hotter with out the stock cooler and an external cooler. then I read that they will run to cool never fully warm up. I like the idea of the aluminum stock coolers but just can't swallow the 500.00 that they cost. and then no good filter set up. but then the VWs ran for ever with no filter and regular oil changes. well until the #3 exhaust valve gave up.
            Jay D.

Comment

When the cooler is removed a baffle is installed in the shroud to maintain the correct airflow over the heads. Craig Richter's book has full instructions.

Thanks Justin. I've looked in on this site for a long time, thought it was time to join in.

Comment

THANKS, for the tip on the baffle I believe I have that book
                Jay D.

Comment

[quote="badsix" post=36036]THANKS, for the tip on the baffle I believe I have that book
                  Jay D.[/quote
                  That's not the book I thought I had. I can't find any info on Craig Richters book, were can I get one or some info on the baffle
                  Jay D.

Comment

The book is "how to make an old Porsche fly"

http://vintagetechinfo.com/

Comment

thanks man, just ordered it and can't wait for it to get here. it looks like some GOOD bed time reading.
                      thanks again, Jay D.

Comment

Geordie, those look like magnesium torque thrust wheels you're running. Can you post your profile pic so we can see better?
                        trevorcgates@gmail.com
                        Engine # P66909... are you out there
                        Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160319_1708495033.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	81954
                          They are original Torque Thrust cast magnesium, I've had them since the mid 80's

Comment

Those are killer!
                            trevorcgates@gmail.com
                            Engine # P66909... are you out there
                            Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Working...
                            X