COOL "A"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COOL "A"

Here's a few old pictures of a '58 Sunroof coupe that made a huge impression on me when I was just 17 years old and in the middle of my first attempt at restoring my coupe. These shots were taken at the pomona Swapmeet way back in 1988. It had a stance and attitude that just blew me away! The owner was just a bit older than I was; probably in his mid twenties. He was a VW guy who got his hands this S/R coupe and treated it to all the typical "CAL BUG" Styling. This car stole the show! It had groups of 10 to 15 people constantly around it for quite some time after it arrived. It took me several attempts "between waves" to get these clear shots of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	777.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1172
    While stock 356's can sometimes appear stuby and bulbous; The rake and extremely low stance made this car seem to be just a bit longer and sleeker.It also really drew attention to the raised center of the hood area and how its spills over beautifully into the fenders. A detail I normally did not consciously make note of on stock 356's. It was always there of course just not as pronounced to me like on this car.

Name:	778.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1173
    All the typical "CAL BUG" mod's of the day. Polished 5.5 Fuchs on the rear and 4.5's on the front with a low profile tire to get the front down just a little more. Front torsion bars were disengaged and was riding on the bump-stops. I'm sure it did not ride or handle very well but it sure looked sweet sitting parked!

Name:	780.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1174
    "CAL BUG" mods did not end with the wheels. He was also running a really nice fully chromed out type 1 motor with dual carbs. I'm sure it performed much stronger than the old original Porsche unit. Note the custom aftermarket VW style exhaust system. You can just make out the licnese plate in this photo: "cool A". It certainly was! looked good then; still looks good now!

Name:	779.JPG
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1175
    You can see this was not a full on show car but a work in progress. Fully dressed USA front bumper with a missing rubber insert.

Name:	782.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1176
    Bare rear bumper with only a deco strip. Note the emblems switched and in the wrong positions.

Name:	781.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1177
    Not a perfect car but it more than made up for it in Curb appeal! Like I said earlier it got tons of attention! I remember the owner of that T-6 coupe in the background being very annoyed and dumbfounded as to why all the the crowds where around it with their backs turned toward his car. Its all in the stance!
    Justin Rio

Great pics. I wish I knew where all my old pics I took were today.
    Mark Erbesfield
    57 356A
    65 911
    68 912
    73 911S
    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you liked them! I am happy I was able to locate these old photos but I sure wished I would have taken alot more. Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

It reminded me of some of the old shots I have of my first 73 911S. I will post my 911 in the appropriate section and include the old shots for fun.
        Mark Erbesfield
        57 356A
        65 911
        68 912
        73 911S
        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Like you say, after an hour or so at a car show, people start to walk by the rows of perfect "as they left the factory" cars and look for something different. Maybe something with a little attitude. This car definitely had it!!

STP

Comment

I agree Steve, Bone stock can get mind numbing after a few hours at a show. Different and cool always is refreshing! Like Your Speedster once you get it completed! Looking forward to that! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

That was my buddy Paul's 356.

For reference he went on to build this -

Name:	37458.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	23799

Name:	131594.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	23800

Name:	432376.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	23801

and this -

Name:	IMG_1561.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	23802

Name:	766518363_06a3175895_o.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	23803

Name:	IMG_1562.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	23804

Comment

oh, no shit that was your buddies 356? Small world! He really went on to build some nice stuff! Like that retro-fitted 60 Impala? Dash and wheel in his chevy. Did you help him build that red coupe?
                Justin Rio

Comment

I had no input on any of his cars. He is a craftsman. Had his own shop, worked for a few others (So Cal Speed Shop being one of them) building cars. When I last talked to him he was doing prototype / concept cars for one of the Big 3.

In other words, I would only have been in his way trying to help.

Comment

He sure knows how to get them to go low. That truck is wild. Amazing he was able to tuck those huge meats up under those fenders.
                    Mark Erbesfield
                    57 356A
                    65 911
                    68 912
                    73 911S
                    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Originally posted by merbesfield" post=10487
                      He sure knows how to get them to go low. That truck is wild. Amazing he was able to tuck those huge meats up under those fenders.
                      The Single cab is on hydraulics, the dually is bagged, so neither actually drives as low as they sit.

The dually also had a narrowed front end to fit the 22's in there. I've never seen anyone else do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X