The Polopolus 4 cylinder 911 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey trevor,

The whole process was and still is a huge education! You're right this has been a huge undertaking time wise. I could not have built these without the ability to flip the car. It would have been impossible. I'll post some other pics here shortly. Thanks again Trevor!

Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera707.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	7080

Here's a photo Dean sent me a while back of one of his engines with some experimental heads a guy in Canada had built for him. They are 4-valve per cylinder heads. Dean said they flowed like crazy and made gobbs of horsepower but for whatever reason the motor ran HOT. They tried everything they could think of but could not keep the oil temp from soaring. When I went for that visit to his shop they were already shelved. He did say he would give it another try at some point. Very trick looking though.
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Here is another video of that car were you get a better look out of the windshield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2jGrYmOlY&feature=plcp

Can someone move this. I put it in the wrong place.
        Chris

Comment

Thanks for posting that Chris! Great video! A mistake, Where do you want it moved to?

We need a ride along video like that in your car now!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

This is another video of the 356 POLO car on utube. If you prefer it here then thats fine with me.
            My car is at Dean's. When he is done we'll do a video.
            Chris

Comment

What work is Dean performing on the motor? Great! Looking forward to that video! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	polopolus.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	11854
                Hi Justin I found this 356 engine picture
                Is it a Polopolus or a straight 991 6 cylinders ?
                Have you see this car yet ?

Comment

It appears to be a single plug 6. It has 3 coil packs, my POLO has 4 coil packs as it has 8 spark plugs.

Name:	Engineinstall024.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	11856

Comment

Livesigns from europe!
                    Me and my friend were influenced during a USA-trip back in 1992 and a visit at Charles Beck by a special powered 550 spyder replica, his very onw personal car. "The engine" was a former 3,2 Liter 911 carrera engine which was "shortened" to 4 cylinders. Later we found out that this was created from Dean Polopolus !
                    After that brainwash we started our own project here in good ol Germany on a basis of a 3.6 Liter 964-engine.
                    I will tell some more about this in the future here in that forum.

Infos for now are - All major single parts are manufactured, and maybe it will be installed in a Volkswagen beetle !

Comment

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for joining our forum and Welcome! Very interesting story. Any photos of your spyder or the polo motor? Please tell us more about your 964 product and anything else your company offers. Always on the lookout for trick parts! Thanks and welcome once again! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Well we know the Polopolus motor is obviously shorter and lighter than a regular 911 motor but I have yet to see a direct comparison to put it into perspective. After getting my fathers 2 liter 911 engine block back to my shop I was interesting in seeing a comparison and I thought you might be too. Here are some shots.

Name:	old66046.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	25513

Name:	old66048.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	25514

Name:	old66049.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	25515

Name:	old66050.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	25516
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Now for a real comparison:

Name:	old66042.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	25518

Name:	old66041.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	25519

Name:	old66043.JPG
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	25520
                          A lot of weight and more importantly a lot less leverage and mass hanging off the end of the trans. Just the right sized motor for a little 356...
                          Thanks for looking! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Gee, any chance for some shots of the Polo motor from the inside?

Maybe with notes?

Thanks in advance.
                            ----------
                            Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Name:	356090.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25833
                              Here's one from back on page one of this thread SJ. Uses all basic 911 parts. Again it's advantage over all other VW or Porsche 4 cylinder engines push-rod or 4-cam is the extra crank support just like its 911 counterpart.
                              Justin Rio

Comment

To confort Justin in his choice to use a Polopolus engine Eextracted from the French Porsche magazine Flat 6 of August 2013 a report on personnal 356 C of Alois Ruf the famous Porsche gurou in Germany
                                This 356 C was his father car bought new in 1965
                                He has just completed a total restauration on this car who is now fitted with a 2.2 liter Polopolus delivering 170 HP good choice for a guy whose job is to increase the performance of standard Porsche engines
                                To accept the increased power the 356 is now running on 911 suspensions

Name:	alois.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	26503

Name:	alois2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	26504

Name:	alois1.JPG