• Show
Clear All

• Trick Parts

Click image for larger version

Name:	FINSHBOREPUMP-2.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	73563
    someone clued me in on how to post pics this is one of my many projects to keep our cars running and vintage racing without the burden of damaging the original parts.

Glad you got the picture loading thing dialed in Jacque. What exactly is this 4-cam case being milled for? Custom inserts to repair worn out bearing surfaces? Thanks for posting some of your handy work!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin
      we started off with a raw casting now the hard part will be to do the heads I just will have to figure out how to use 911 heads like Dean.
      j

Comment

Name:	DSC_0114.JPG
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	73583

Name:	SNC14608.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	73582

Name:	DSC_0118.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	73584

Comment

WOW, So you're making your own newly casted 4-cam blocks!
          ...and new 4-cam oil pumps? Very cool! You're not casting new 4-cam heads but retro fitting 911 heads?
          Beautiful parts!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Some cool parts I am involved in

Name:	IMG_3628.JPG
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	74655

Name:	IMG_3627.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	74656

Comment

WOW! That is cool to see such rare and valuable parts being made available once again. Beautiful oil pumps! Any word if a run of 547 heads will ever be reproduced?
              Thanks Joris!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, yes they will Watch this space in the upcoming months

Name:	IMG_3622.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	74691

Comment

Hi making parts is a good exercise. the need can be for a unique situation when nothing is available. When i do the heads they will be honest that is not just a copy and improved the way Mezger/May would have probably done it. besides Joris' effort now there already exist heads by Capricorn also the following are involved in the effort https://www.facebook.com/BenColesHistoricRacingComponents/ i think the other set of heads done by the 3D method is more efficient http://www.voxeljet.de/en/case-studies/case-studies/reconstructing-cylinder-heads/

Comment

Jacques, making parts is a good exercise indeed.

What do you mean by honest? And how do you know that we are not incorporating improvements into these heads?

Ben, who's facebook page you link to, is my partner in this project. he has a long track record of making NLA parts for both Porsche and Ferrari to a very high standard.

To each their own, as you know I am a purist. I do not like the texture 3D parts give a casting. Our heads are done the old fashioned way. While the upfront cost are much higher the variabel cost per head is substantially lower compared to the 3D printed option. Our head will have all parting lines in the original locations and original markings. Down the road we will offer improved port design and possibly smaller chambers for those people who like to push the performance envelope.

I look forward to seeing your heads. I think it is a huge benefit to 4-cam owners that they will have various options. Also, competition will drive down prices which should benefit owners also. I can tell you right now that our price wise will be superior to any other option currently available in the market.

Comment

Hi Joris
                      IMHO no matter how well you make reproduction parts they will never be original. Why would you make parts the old fashion way if other methods are available. You state that your parts will be lees expensive than the other ones on the market. Ben states that he has to commit 800 or so hrs to the patterns the old fashion way how many heads do you think you can sell the demand is not elastic. My goal is to create a stunt double engine that is reasonable in price superior in performance so that the real engines can go to museums or cars that are never used.
                      j

Comment

Hi Jacques,

I know you are in the camp of improving our cars and I applaud that. I however, and I believe others, value originality and strive to restore and keep our cars as as original as possible. I think the great efforts of John, Justin etc. are a testament to this. One of the reason Brad has been so successful for all these years is that his parts look, fit and function as original.

If I want to drive the next step up in Porsche development I will take out one of my 911's as I did today. I like my cars stock the way they were intended back in the day.

I do not claim our heads will be original. They never will be as they are not cast by KS using the original patterns etc. We are however doing our best to keep things as true to original as possible as that is what we like. However, based on the request of some friends we are also looking into port and chamber modifications.

Yes, by now we are way past the 800 hour mark. Our goal is not to get rich doing this, that's impossible. If we wanted to do so we would have never started this project. Ben's hobby is reproducing NLA Porsche race parts. He wanted to challenge himself and take a next step, the heads are the result of this.

I m not concerned with how many we will sell. We have enough heads pre-sold to make this a worthwhile project on the personal front and not be to deep in the hole. As mentioned if we wanted to get rich we would have never started this project. It's a labor of love.

Comment

Hi Joris i agree that there are easier ways of making money it is all about the passion. My concern is that the potential enthusiasts that follow us will be unable to experience the universe of the 4-Cam. Capricorn has the patterns and raw castings done and the maching potential they probably could meet your price if they wanted to. I am after a different set of potential purchasers and if anything i do has benifit to the original engines all the better.
                          j

Comment

WOW!!!! I went to that guys FB page and that has to be as close to OG as it gets...right down the part numbers in the castings. Joris that is quite the undertaking but absolutely, A labor of love. Both you guys please keep us posted on your 4-cam development...Amazing!!
                            BTW: what about a Hirth roller repro???
                            Thanks again!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin, yes, Ben is a magician with the same passion for originality as I have. He always claims his parts look just as shitty as the factory originals. I will be sure to keep you guys posted. There are many exciting things in the pipeline. I am also indirectly involved with some other people's 4-cam parts projects which I will post about if they allow me.

Roller cranks are an issue for many people right now. Rebuilding capacity is not enough for existing demand creating problems. Warren had some cranks made in Europe 15-20 years ago. Rumor has it that Capricorn has also made them. I am yet to hear of someone who has seen one of their cranks and used it. @Jacques, have you?

Comment

Working...
                              X