Views:	36
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	79096

Click image for larger version

Name:	LM59start_2016-08-23.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	79097

Looking more closely to this 2 pics it looks like Hans Hermann car had an air inlet added on the left side
    Does somebody know why ? (brakes cooling ? but if so why on one side only ?
    On the Le Mans race track cars turn clockwise
    Therefore the left wheels cover more distance than the right ones
    Your ideas appreciated

Comment

• As I posted in great detail some time ago, All 1958 built works cars that had the hood oil cooler assembly with cad plated surface and no paint were also equipped with an in-line auxiliary oil cooler alongside the driver's left leg and had an inlet scoop and circular exhaust behind it. It still did not provide sufficient cooling and the whole idea was dropped on the 1959 cars. No series built cars had this set-up.

I will search for my earlier post...RR
      Richard Roth
      New York City
      Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Thanks Richard

Some more pics of 718 RSK during the Le Mans 1959 race

Jo Bonnier

Name:	LM593.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	79100
        Ed Hugus again

Name:	LM5937.JPG
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	79101

Name:	LM59537.JPG
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	79102

Comment

• I believe my Carrera had the engine from 718-024. 90216. Which was also raced by Ernie Erickson at LeMans.

Norm

Comment

• Hi Porschenelle
            Colier has done extensive research on 718-007 and has done a sympathetic restoration on it check with them.

Comment

• Joe Cavaglieri in Sherman Oaks did his usual brilliant job restoring this car to Le Mans configuration for Miles. I knew this car when it was black and was raced extensively on the west coast by the late David Love. Dave was a gentleman who also owned and raced a sensationally beautiful Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, now commonly referred to as "pontoon-fendered", an appellation I have never cared for that was never used in period.

Note that this RSK, and only this car, had that wider vertical air intake scoop opening for the auxiliary oil cooler added by the works mechanics, as seen in the photo. It remains on the car to the present day.
              Richard Roth
              New York City
              Amagansett, NY

Comment

• My education continues, Thank you Gerard.

Name:	718rsk9124.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	79161

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	718rsk54rsk1960lemans.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	79261
                  At the 1960 Le Mans

Comment

• Today the revs institute has posted this photo. Someone knows this car? Maybe more photos?

Name:	20160910_081149.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	79591
                    https://www.instagram.com/nur964/
                    Only air

Comment

• David Love in 718-007 now in the Collier Collection. See my earlier post on the car. Note dog leg air intake, just visible below door. Only car with that shape scoop.
                      Richard Roth
                      New York City
                      Amagansett, NY

Comment

• You will find more photos of this car well back in the Site postings here, including a photo of David Love standing alongside the car with Innes Ireland, and Bob Holbert seated in it. Ireland did some journalistic work for Road and Track which may explain his presence there. Although it appears black it was actually very dark grey with a curved black stripe. By the way, that is not David Love driving the car in that photo of car #9. David Love drove this car many times at the Monterey historic races and also competed with his beautiful Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago.
                        The first time I saw that car at Monterey it was silver, but later it was repainted and slightly "improved" in this new livery. Denise McCluggage also drove it the in the Historic one year.
                        Richard Roth
                        New York City
                        Amagansett, NY

Comment

• See Page 18
                          Richard Roth
                          New York City
                          Amagansett, NY

Comment

• I believe the center-seater above, silver #44, is being driven in that shot by John Higgins. The only high point I remember from back then was being behind him close enough to smell the bean oil.

Bruce

Comment

• Rickie
                              thank you very much for the detailed answer. This one car?

Name:	12362038_483236445213784_1961435820_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	79597
                              https://www.instagram.com/nur964/
                              Only air

Comment

• Only this car,007, had the so-called Dog Leg scoop with the larger vertical opening on the mouth. All the others had a straight scoop with the length having a slightly wider mouth then at the back end. I always assumed that it may have been a trackside modification that stuck.I have a photo of the interior showing the boxed-in oil cooler that helps to clarify this setup. I will post it when I can. R
                                Richard Roth
                                New York City
                                Amagansett, NY

Comment

Working...
                                X