No announcement yet.

Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with your assessment Andrew! Thinking about 0126 I wonder if they "reproduce" a s/n plate to put on a newly fabricated body did they also "reproduce" a frame s/n plate to attach to a newly built frame? I would be very concerned if I had paid over 3 million for the car, Who knows, maybe I own more that is original to 0126 than the new owner does.
    Last edited by alan hall; 08-01-2019, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• I was recently involved in the sale of a 550A and what started out as a couple of panels replaced ended up being totally rebodied, but everything else original, which then after a bit of digging changed to the majority of the parts and accessories new - at what stage is it still original..?
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Seems to be a lot of that these days, especially new bodies but also cases with frames replaced but original bodies then the original frame that was replaced is repaired and a new body built. Which one is considered the original? Probably the one with the original serial number tags.
        Last edited by alan hall; 08-02-2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Quite fascinating guys and scary all at once. Buyer beware was never so true. By the way great to see you back here Andrew. I've been on holiday but I am left wondering where everyone else is??
          ~Vance

Here's a new though the image appears flipped.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	z64.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	106644

Comment

• Good to be back Vance. Still doing a heap of research on many of the spyders with some good finds and many dead ends. Someone on instagram posted a photo of a rear end of a spyder they saved from a skip which was amongst parts when 550-10 was restored. I noticed the extra middle rear grill and holes for tail lights similar to 550-13, which I was able to confirm with period photos. The question now is why did the owner of 550-10 have the rear of 550-13 - cannot find a link along the line of previous owners...

Name:	tn_IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	107424

Name:	#140-3 copy.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	107425

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              What a great artifact. If anyone's going to unravel that mystery its going to be you Andrew.

356 commented
              Editing a comment
              Fascinating to see that vintage photo and a match or clue in the present day. It must be so exciting to put these puzzle pieces together Andrew.
              ~Vance

• Same car as in your previous post Andrew?

Name:	550r550.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	108802

Last edited by 356; 05-13-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	old46541.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	109245

Comment

Name:	866952.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	109303

Comment

• Type550
                  Type550 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great photo of 550-10 after it returned from Holland for the 1954 German GP at Avus

• Just doing some research on 550-0083 which was rebodied into a Devin Spyder. From memory Bill Brown did the restoration on it. Lynn owned it at the time (does anyone know his surname?) Recently came across this photo of it in full flight when Gene Cates raced it in 1960. Does anyone else have some info on this car..?

Attached Files
                Last edited by JTR70; 07-16-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Andrew, Bill Brown owned this car or just restored it?

356 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I sure wish Steve H. was still around to discuss. ~Vance

Name:	025954.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	109346

Comment

• I think Bill was just involved in changing the Devin back into a 550 body, but he didn't do the bodywork on it Justin. Yes Vance, I wish Steve was still around too. I constantly find discrepancies in the Carrera book, but there is no one to bounce it off - this last week was one of those weeks that the history of four 550/550A spyders were in question - still none the wiser!

Comment

• Originally posted by 356 View Post

Name:	025954.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	109346
                    Why would they change the race number decals for the actual race??

Name:	28-29 copy 2.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	109354

Comment

• Henk Vasmel
                      Henk Vasmel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Obviously TT '55. A have 550-0046 as chassis number. In the column Alt-chassis, there is 550-15. So at least another source has shown that number. Now looking carefully at the pictures here and on www.type550.com, I consider it possible that the above car maybe 550-15.But that number is listed for start number 29. So I am still confused. And could 550-0047 also play a role here?

• Lynn Larson here in Lincoln owned 5500083. I helped put the car back together after we got it back from Jo Stafford`s shop in Mass. Don Bell ran 0083 at the 1982 Monterey Historics with the Devin body....listed as "Porsche Special" in the catalog. I built a pushrod engine for it when running the Colorado Grand.....ran at Mille Miglia ca. 1990 with its orig engine 90087. Now lives in Colorado.

Comment

• Type550
                      Type550 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the details Bill - much appreciated

Name:	IMG_4637 copy.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	109374

Comment

356 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Andrew, are there any photos of this car as it sits today?

• Here it is today.

Bill - in my files I have a name - Bill Bencker - do you know who he is?

Name:	15124774391_10c135d396_o copy.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	109389
                    Attached Files

Comment

356 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Andrew. Returned to its former glory, how wonderful to see.
                      ~Vance
                  Working...
                  X