No announcement yet.

Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree Andrew, its neat to see these areas in such detail. The wicker-weave style passenger seat frame reminds me of WW1 era fighter plane seats I've seen photos of; Maybe that was the inspiration?
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Ed Hugus entered 550 0131 spyder at the 1957 edition of the Le Mans 24 hours race with the dutch Carel Godin de Beaufort as co pilot
      Being a US citizen this car was painted in white with 2 blue stripes is the official US color for the US cars in the 60's

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDHUGUS3.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	37134

Name:	EDHUGUSLM57.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	37135

Comment

• Out of the 6 Porsche (2 off bright new 718RSK + 3 off 550 + 1 off 356 speedster) this car was the only one to cross the finish line and the 8th place overall and first in the 1500 cc class

Name:	EDHUGUSCAREL.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	37137

Name:	EDEHUGUS1.JPG
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	37138

Name:	EDHUGUS2.JPG
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	37139

Comment

• Question for Andrew
          Does 550 0132 still exist to day ?
          If so is she still white with the blue stripes ?

Comment

• I believe the car was 550A-0132 not 0131.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Agree Steve Ed Hugus/Carel Godin de Beufort car at le Mans 57 was 550 0132
              I made a mistake in my first post but I rectified in my question to Andrew
              May be you can answer ?

Comment

• For Michael Doyle if he read this topic
                Le Mans 24 hours 1957 race was held in June 22nd/23rd
                Reims 12 hours July 13th

Porsche entered 2 off 718RSK and 2 off 550 spyders
                550 0131 race number 34 driven by Richard Von Frankenberg/Hans Hermann wear on its front face number 162911

Name:	numero1.JPG
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	37148

Comment

• Sorry I made a typing error Richard Von frankenberg/Hans Hermann car is number 33
                  Car number 34 is 550 0120 (hence an older car than the one above) driven nby Claude Storez/Ed Crawford wear number 911959

Name:	numero.JPG
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	37150

Comment

• If I am right your carrea GT wear number 163658
                    You told me that you believe 163 was the number of the Saar custom
                    I agreed with you
                    But what worries me now is that 550 0131 has a number starting by 162
                    So was 162 also a number for the Saar custom ?
                    550 0131 was registred before your car (le Mans in June/Reims in July)
                    Hence these numbers have clearly something to do with a registrationj number but it could also be a number by order (162911 smaller than 16365
                    What do you thinck ?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	1604964_10150355672894944_1171211182_n.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	37179

Comment

• Unfortunately I do not have any photos of 0132 today. I haven't quite got up to full speed with the 550A spyders as it is hard enough to keep up with the RS550s!

Here is a colour photo of 0132 at LeMans

Name:	1957LeMans550a.8thfix.JPG
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	37181
                        Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Porschinelle" post=16157
                          If I am right your carrea GT wear number 163658
                          You told me that you believe 163 was the number of the Saar custom
                          I agreed with you
                          But what worries me now is that 550 0131 has a number starting by 162
                          So was 162 also a number for the Saar custom ?
                          550 0131 was registred before your car (le Mans in June/Reims in July)
                          Hence these numbers have clearly something to do with a registrationj number but it could also be a number by order (162911 smaller than 16365
                          What do you thinck ?
                          Gerard,

I understand your thought about the earlier number order LeMans 162xxx vs. Reims 163xxx - but I have to ask - do we know if there is a 162 region in France? ...as the 163 region is Saar Germany-France.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• We all agree that 162,163 and 911 correspond to a temporary number given to a foreign car entering France for a

Comment

• Sorry posted by mistale I continue
                              I was saying temporary registration number given to a dedicated car entering into France for a race or a show etc
                              The problem comes that the only direct border between France and Germany is the Saar region (capital Sarebucken)north of Strasbourg
                              Going more North you have the Luxembourg between Germany and France and further North Belgium and further North again Nederlands and Belgium
                              If you carry your cars on a lorry or even by driving them on the road the quickest way to go from Stuttgart to Le Mans or to Reims is of course to go through the Saar custom
                              Now these numbers have only be in force in 1957
                              Before and after cars were wearing special temporary registration plates starting for Germany by the letter W
                              As an example if you US citizen come to France for a long holydays you may buy a car ex duties
                              This car will be registred with the letter TT which mean in French : transit temporaire (temporary transit)

Comment

• Examples
                                Gilberte Thirion Ingeborg Polensky with a factory car at the 1954 Tour de France automobile

Name:	je1.JPG
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	37213

Comment

Working...
                                X