No announcement yet.

Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce, english is not my first language.....

With active I was referring to him staying mentally active and positive. We would e-mail on a frequent basis right to the end.

Comment

• Joris, come on, your English is better than mine. I know that was the fate of a typo and I have faith you did not make that word choice intentionally.

I am glad to hear Tim was mentally active and even positive, as that is what scares me so much with ALS...the mind stays sharp but the body just shuts down gradually from the feet, up.... and I doubt I would/could endure that, as I believe that both body and brain shutting down simultaneously is better.

Still, this is too morbid in a thread and site that is typically a lot of fun. Thanks for the clarification and let's move on, if you don't mind.......

-Bruce

Comment

• Hi Bruce,

Actually, from my understanding, Steve was much more than a Client to Tim. Steve and his wife Dorothy vacationed with Tim and his wife Diane a number of times. And Dorothy and Diane are very good friends to this day.

We lost two very good Porsche men who were also good husbands to these fine ladies.

Michael Doyle

Bbspdstr wrote:

Yes, Michael...Tim had Steve as a VERY good client and I was blessed to call both of them friends, learning much from each but meeting neither face-to-face. Just 3,000 mile phone calls and emails......about details of a shared passion. Just don't expect any posthumous "kiss and make up" offerings from the Registry....that would be to the powers that still be, a sign of weakness. That whole saga was a shame.

-Bruce

Comment

• "We lost two very good Porsche men who were also good husbands to these fine ladies."

Michael, we have lost career 4-cam people lately; here on the East Coast, Gerry McCarthy and Heinz Bade..... and not to forget, Bill Doyle. As we age, we may also forget many others!

This is why I suggested to Justin that a list of "Replacements" be started and vetted. Like Jeff Adams for Gerry McCarthy or Lee Raskin for James Dean......(hey, let's lighten this up..."life is short").

On another note concerning replacements: I just received the latest issue of The Porsche 356 Registry magazine from a good West Coast friend. Great issue but not of the same 'tone' as when I got those magazines myself. I remember the Powers-That-Be being dead set against ANYTHING in The Registry, magazine or club in general, having to do with clones, tribute cars or anything that was originally termed a "kit car." Now, it is cover art and much inside concerning the same.....but very high-end reproductions of the Typ 64. I guess Gordo scooped Pete Stout for "000" and maybe Pano.....and I would suppose it is only a matter of time before more of the same will be the fodder of the R-mag. I am amazed Gordo has been able to assemble as much as he has "from the trenches" 53 years after the last 356s were made.....but now I must apologize as being "off topic"....unless the next big splash of a Porsche not a 356 is about a 550.
          -Bruce

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	550r550.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	100488

Comment

• Just bought that slide on ebay - nice one of 550-13 with the new RSK nose

Click image for larger version

Name:	porscheinwas598x600_2018-05-04.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	100494
              Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• "Just bought that slide on ebay - nice one of 550-13 with the new RSK nose"

I am surprised by the shape ...was it the new first attempt of a different nose on a 550 that eventually evolved into a K nose?

Here below is what I think I remember was RSK 718-023 with me 'driving' it about 38 years ago at a show having been dusted off after about 5 years on display for 5 years at my shop. Now it's a picture I keep on my desk for the very fond memories of my favorite Spyder styling.

The nose on this one is what I remember being typical for an RSK.

Name:	BBinRSK.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	100504

Comment

• Joe Playan rolled the spyder at Willow springs in March 1956

Name:	Playan-56_2018-05-04.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	100506

Within a week he had it repaired with the new front and painted and racing at Paramount

Name:	JoePlayan-paramount57.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	100507

Comment

• Comment

• Need some advice..

I have the photoshoot for 550A-0121 coming up this week in the hills above Monaco, which is pretty exciting! Then I will finalise the website to promote the sale of the Spyder. I need to get as much exposure as possible to flush out potential buyers and I have made a list of classic car sites I follow but I really don't have anything for the European market. Can you guys please let me know which websites you follow, or would be suitable??

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Really difficult, Andrew.
                        I don't follow any Porsche or classic car site here in Germany for a simple reason:
                        There is actually nothing comparable to Justin's site here.
                        Sad but true.
                        But I wish you Good Luck and will keep my eyes open...

Gerd
                        www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Thanks Gerd - I think there would be a lot of potential buyers in Europe, but as the market is very tight at the moment, I want to get as much exposure to as many collectors as I can

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=42950
                            Need some advice..

I have the photoshoot for 550A-0121 coming up this week in the hills above Monaco, which is pretty exciting! Then I will finalise the website to promote the sale of the Spyder. I need to get as much exposure as possible to flush out potential buyers and I have made a list of classic car sites I follow but I really don't have anything for the European market. Can you guys please let me know which websites you follow, or would be suitable??

thanks Andrew
                            The web sites I use are this, 356 registry, ddk and piston heads sometimes. However, I'm not sure that many 550 buyers for your car are regularly on those sites?

There is a a chap called John Ruston who comes on DDK sometimes and is a serious collector. I would be happy to give you his email address. He is a no nonsense, straight talking chap and might be able to offer some inside into where/how to target the right buyers. neiledwardbardsley at googlemail dot com

Comment

Name:	550r312.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	101065

Comment

Name:	550r915.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	101103