No announcement yet.

Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The #30 is a 550A raced by Lucien Bonnet in the 1960 GP Cuba in Havana. This car is also not listed in the Carrera book and was driven only once by Bonnet
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	550v503.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	83217

Comment

• Originally posted by 55Speedster" post=36542
        Watkins Glen #103

These photos of #103 have been on my mind for the last week and I was determined to work out which spyder it was. Not an easy task, but it was a process of elimination which has taken up a lot of time and opened a hornet's nest effecting the race results of 4 different cars as documented in the Carrera book. This was the only way I could do it:
        The spyder is an early 550 as it has the rubber strip on the nose, therefore it is between 550-0016 and 550-0044.
        The car raced on the east coast of the US, so I split all the white US spyders with the white European spyders.
        With the remaining six US spyders, I split them into the West coast and the East coast which brought it down to four - 550-0017 / 550-0020 / 550-0022 / 550-0024.
        Then I started comparing race results and photos to see any races with more than one of these spyders to eliminate them. The only Spyder left with a possibility was 550-0017, but the Carrera book didn't match any of the drivers or races I had. In my research I had found about 15 photos of this car with the painted darts coming off the headlights, so I had enough to start comparing the body features etc.
        I know that 550-0017 was in the 1955 Sebring and Cumberland races, so I used a close up photo as a base. When I compared it to a close up photo of the mystery Spyder, I noticed they both had clips around the top of the cockpit to fasten a canvas tonneau to. Most 550s were fitted with an alloy tonneau, so this was a rare feature. On close examination, they were in identical positions (except across the door).

So, my conclusion is that the car is 550-0017 and this one race has effected about 40 race results!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot2016-12-24at9.06.53AMcopy.png
Views:	57
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	83233

Name:	BillWeldonWatkinsGlen17_9_55copy2.png
Views:	67
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	83234

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	1435581.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	83302

Name:	1435578.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	83303

Comment

• Where did you find these Chad??? This puts a whole new twist on the car! Based on the drilled wheels, it looks like 550-0073, but I have never seen it in red or Mayberry as an owner

Name:	1015578.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	83305

Comment

• Andrew,
              I thought the same when I saw the drilled wheels...however the sign says early Spyder. The windscreen and roll bar behind the drive is also unique. The picture is from the early 60's. Chad

Comment

• At first I thought that, then thinking the photo was taken in the 60s, an early spyder would not be a 550A or RSK, RS60 or RS61 etc - 0073 was built in December 1955. Mayberry was the mechanic for Bob Holbert where he was able to race a lot of his Porsches. In 1962 he is listed as driving a 550, but it is difficult to know if this was the red one or one that he borrowed. If you enhance the photo you can see the air intakes in the nose, so it is a later build of the 550s.

The windscreen looks more for rallying than racing - very unique to a 550!

thanks again - great shots for the new year!

Comment

• Von Frankenburg #75 at Linz Airport 1959

Name:	550718in59_2017-01-07.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	83492

Name:	55oA.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	83493

Comment

• I have an original photo that was signed by Annie Bousquet, but I do not know where to start with a google translation! If any French members here can read this handwriting and translate, I would be extremely appreciative!

Name:	IMG_6432.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	83545

Comment

• It's in German, Andrew.
                      It says: "In these days I found a genuine, sporty friend in Hans Klenk.
                      Bousquet, Monthlery, 17. August 1955"

Her maiden name was Schaffer (born in Austria), so, of course, her mother language was German.
                      www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Thanks Gerd - I would have had no hope!

The note must have been written a while after the photo was taken considering the accident she had in the car. (film would have needed to been processed and photo printed) It is interesting she dated it the day she raced.

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Very cool you guys. Is the photo itself top secret for now Andrew?
                          ~Vance

Name:	550v504.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	83549

Comment

• One of my favourite photos in my collection Vance

Name:	IMG_6433.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	83564

I have just done a search on Hans Klenk who the photo is referring to. Klenk worked with the Porsche factory on a number of body designs including the Sauter-Porsche, so it is highly likely that he made the aerodynamic changes to the 550 for Annie's speed trials.

Research says the American Roadster's humble beginnings started when Stuttgart commissioned Hans Klenk Karosserrie to build an all steel, open car in 1950. Called the Sauter Roadster, it weighed in at only 1,298 lbs. and was fitted with 'easy access' suicide doors. It was used as a Rally Car on the Leige-Rome-Leige Race and carried a 1500cc motor. It was then purchased by Porsche in 1952, and used as a development mule, refitted with the 'new' Typ528 Super 1500cc motor.

Klenk would be the guy leaning over with the walking stick - he was an official Mercedes test pilot, but a serious accident at the wheel of the 300SL forced him to stop his career and he focused on car design.

Comment

• Great stuff Andrew.
                              ~Vance

Name:	ins55578.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	83754

Name:	ins55987.jpg
Views:	37