356 Carrera GT seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 356 Carrera GT seats

I think there are original 56-57 GT seats. But it's been 50 years since I have touched one.

Do these shells look correct? Your comments please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2017-04-17.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	87482

Name:	image_2017-04-17-2.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	87483

The top pair, seat back hole pattern is what I remember, not the evenly spaced 2-3-2-3 as in the single seat in the bottom photo

Thanks
    Pushed around since 1966.

Michael Doyle would be the one that could give you a definitive answer as to any differences between an early steel GT seat and the standard Speedster seat if there are any. I'll forward him a link in case he doesn't see this.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

This may help:

The one single seat is a '54-'55 356 Pre-A Speedster steel seat shell. The other pair are '56 356A and later steel Speedster seat shells.

The Pre-A seat can be recognized by the defined top corners of the seat back. The later are more rounded at those locations.

In early 1957, the 356A GT Speedster & GT Coupe began production and both used the basic steel Speedster seat. There was no "GT" seat.

In the 1958 GT production, an Aluminum alloy seat shell started to be used in some of the cars.

The upholstered appearance of the Speedster seat changed little other than the more rounded shaped at the front of the bottom seat pad in 1958. Was more angled before then. Many GT models featured "Cord Samt" (Corduroy) inserts.

During the 356 B/C time period, GT models did have a different upholstery feature at the top of the seat back with an unique finished Vinyl wrap over the top edge. Also, a longer bottom seat pad extended under the legs further. Some wider width seat shells have been documented as well.

Michael Doyle

Comment

If the seat shells are for sale, I may be interested in them.

Michael Doyle

email:

md4mdoyle@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Michael

Thanks so much for the info. The 356A pair is going into a speedster that is in work now. Its been a long time and I was young and stupid the last time I messed with these type of seats.
          Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

That's great you have the car that goes with the seats!

Notice the prior upholstery job on them had glued on aftermarket foam on the sides. Not the correct installation. I do all the original Reuters materials and install methods now. Basically recreate the Speedster seats including the Horsehair pads.

I'll post some photos later. Let me know if you're interested in having yours done.

Michael Doyle

Comment

Michael,

I recently bought a pair of GT seats which came out of a Carrera 2. One was definitely fiberglass, which I have sold. The other is steel.

How can I determine if the seat is a factory unit? Has anyone reproduced steel GT shells? I think I understand that it was primarily padding differences which created the wider dimensions. Is that true?

The steel rails have some interesting home made aspects.

Please enlighten about this.

Thanks!

Ed

Comment

One thing I`ve noticed with all the new repro aluminum and steel Speedster seats, is that they don`t have the punched-out "darts" to hook the seat material to........why?

Comment

Hi - Yes, there was a little wider width factory seat made in the late T6 B/C series. I've seen some similar Aluminum reproductions by niche vendors at the LAX Hilton meet each year.

As Bill noted, the reproduction Steel and Aluminum seats do not have the V shaped Tang on them to hold the original vinyl in place with the sewn in heavy wire rod.

Glue and Foam has taken over the install of the upholstery materials.

Because I have recreated the Reuther Speedster seat materials and install techniques that Porsche originally wanted, I have had the Tangs made individually that we install by hand to the seat shell with special oval head rivets. Will post some photos of all these steps in a while.

Michael Doyle.

Comment

Thanks Michael. Please do post pictures showing this.

Comment

This is the only pic I can find of the steel driver`s seat in my old 62 Carrera. The bottom pad extended further out, and I remember measuring the width of the shell, and it was wider than a standard Speedster steel seat. I owned a Speedster at the time I had this car. The seat was in original condition.
                      [attachment:1]SAM_3116.JPG[/attachment]

Comment

This is the only pic I can find of the steel driver`s seat in my old 62 Carrera. The bottom pad extended further out, and I remember measuring the width of the shell, and it was wider than a standard Speedster steel seat. I owned a Speedster at the time I had this car. The seat was in original condition.

Name:	SAM_3116.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	97659

Name:	SAM_3116.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	97659

Comment

Thanks Bill! Is the steering wheel a VDM or LL?

Comment

The wood wheel was a Carlotti

Comment

Stirring this great thread back to life ...

Does anyone have pictures of original GT rails?

Not so long ago I bought a real steel GT seat, which I intend to use on the driver's side for my '62 car. It came paired with a fiberglass reproduction (not a Fibersteel) which I have sold.

The two sets of rails have some (I think) homemade features, but I would like to see originals.

If my suspicion is confirmed that what I have isn't correct, does anyone have a real driver's side rail to liberate?

Comment

Working...
                              X