new with a basket case '62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new with a basket case '62

hello. many year VW'er. Did the 911 thing. now have a 356. its a basket case. need help with the frame repair panels. Stoddard has inner and out http://www.stoddard.com/64450108606-nla.html
    , but where do they go/repair? does not make sense to a new guy/ thanks

I'm new to site and not 100% on pictures so I posted my samba.com link where I started looking for information. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644798

as you can see the drivers side is pretty bad. do these panels fix this area?

Comment

Hi Seth, Thanks for joining us and Welcome! We'll be happy to help answer any questions you might have about your project and if we don't know the answer we make one up!

If you're having trouble loading photos you're probably using Firefox as your browser. The system for some reason doesn't work with mozzila for loading photo attachments. try google chrome, IE 8 or Safari this should solve the problem. After you've loaded each photo be sure to hit the "insert" button on each one so they will display in full.
      Welcome once again!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,
        My pictures take 30-45 seconds to load, seems like an eternity. If I hit "insert" then leave the topic/area or hit the backup button they seem to load in a few seconds. I'm using Windows Internet Explorer 8.

Comment

I have pictures loaded (see above). Does anyone have any idea on the frame rust repair panels?

Comment

WHOAH! That is about as bad as it gets. There's nothing sound enough to weld to anymore other than starting from scratch at the torsion housings.(I'd like to see what's left of those as well) Before anything you have to jig the both front and rear torsion housings for factory spec to establish your base line. The frame repair section you provide a link to from Stoddard is only a small patch repair. You need everything else around it; you require almost the entire frame from what I gather so far. Those frame sections are not as readily available through the catalogue. Trevor Marshal of "Trevors Hammerworks" is going to be the guy to contact for those. Neil Blaber from Australia is another guy who could help you with fabricating these pieces. He has fabricated just about the entire car/frame new under his original roof clip. Its the same year as your car take a look here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/29052-62-bt6.html

John Pierce is rebuilding his '63 practically from ground up. I highly recommend studying his fantastic chassis repair entries so you can get familiar with exactly how these frames go together and what is involved in and around the torsion areas like the heater ducting etc.
            http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/14008-63-356B-T-6-Rebuild.html?limit=6&start=558
            Phil Planck, David Gensler, and Tom Perrazzo are also in process of building T5 &T6 coupes like your building take a look at their posts as well.
            This is all assuming you want to build it as stock. I read your original Samba entry and it sounds like your considering a tube frame? I see that Mic had already post a link on the hotrod A coupe with a tubular sub-frame. (Thanks for putting out the good word BTW Mic!) Is it your goal to build a hotrod out of this donor?
            Just moved this thread to the projects sections. Best of luck with however you decide to proceed with it.
            Justin

Hey Don, sorry about the slow system and I do appreciate your patience with that. Part of that time is due to the web host checking each attachment for malware. You might notice once you have loaded a photo for that particular visit any photo added after that loads a little quicker. Once you log out it starts over again of course. This is what I've noticed anyway.
            Justin Rio

Comment

hey again. thanks for the links. The torsion housing itself is solid. That one of John Peirce is about perfect. Just what I've been looking for. I need the pictures to make sense since this is my 1st 356. I could bring a rotten beetle back, but just getting to know 356's

I'm probably more toward the Hot-Rod. Due to the fact that I don't have anything other than body and steering column However I don't plan on building a 500hp monster. I also don't need heat tube if that makes it easier. The Plan is to get is sitting straight on wheels and go from their with a 914 2.0 and possibly a turbo. [/img] thanks

Comment

A daunting project. You've come to the right place, with the guys that can get you to completion. These cars would have been scrap or spares not long ago and I'd have to be much younger and crazier to do one of them now. I'm in awe of the kind of commitment and skill required to complete one of these builds. Look forward to watching and learning as your project progresses.
                Cheers,
                Joel

Comment

hi seth,

good luck with the project pal, you'll have plenty of fun rebuilding the body, i am going the type 4 route. still debating about the turbo option though... i guess we both have plenty of time before the engine goes in lol.

there are plenty of people with a vast amount of knowledge on this site, so ask questions if you need to, you'll get plenty of answers

Comment

Seth, you could just drop it on a VW pan and go racing much the same way this guy was built.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaaaamod21882.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	71234

I'm with both you and Neil, a big Type 4 motor is the only to go. If I wasn't building a polo-motor for my coupe a type 4 would surely be going in its stead.
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Any other info on that green one with vw pan

Comment

Seth, you may want to look at this link. This VW oriented guy did some amazing work to a car similar to yours.
                        http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430774&highlight=richter
                        Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

I spoke to the guy who built it several years ago(who sent me the pics below) I'll see if I still have his contact info. This is what it looked like before he sold it.

Name:	012_2016-01-01.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	71269

Name:	041_2016-01-01.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	71270
                          Its a big window T6 coupe like yours but with an A-version fiberglass front end.

Name:	054_2016-01-01.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	71271
                          I saw one interior shot of it which clearly showed it was on a VW pan.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

there was a pre a listed on the samba a few months ago which was sat on a vw pan, it didn't state that on the advert though

Comment

Glad you found your way over here. Check out this thread where he is mating a 356 body with a ghia chassis.

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modified-356/9790-Back-from-the-dead-outlaw-build.html
                              Mic
                              1959A coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X