seat recliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat recliner

I'm starting to get all my interior parts ready and I need to have my seat recliners chromed. I have he cover off and see the big spring that should come off, then the rest of it should just unbolt. now how do you get this big assed spring back in were it belongs. it looks like its strong enough to hold up a 16' garage door. THIS IS FOR A 356 A CAB.
    thanks Jay D.

I've put together several sets JD, don't let that spring intimidate you. All you have to do is get the spring indexed correctly which will be a very short reach for the outer tab if its in right. Wish I'd taken some photos but you don't seat the spring all the way down but start the center about half way on. Take standard pair of mid-size vise-grips and clamp securely onto the outer most portion of the outer tab. Hold the neck of the seat hinge with your left hand and then take the other and crank the vise-gripped end forward until you hook that notch in the hinge then remove pliers. The spring still won't be fully seated and looks dangerous but don't worry even if it does slip out it won't shoot across the room or anything; it only makes a little noise. Take a small hammer and drive the spring down flush. Hope this made sense.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

thanks, I understand sounds easy and yes that spring looks intimidating.
      Jay D.

Comment

First time is scary for about anything.

Spring is wicked if you get pinched, so be careful. Take a picture or make a sketch/notes on each one, noting the spring orientation and after it's off, the center part that the spring's center part lives in, as they are not the same. Dot with a punch or etch with an electric scribe to make it easier upon reassembly.

Then, with leather gloves and/or a rag, cover the spring and pry it off it's outer interface with the reclining part and the easy part is done. Your next step is difficult without the correct tool. Remove the locking washer carefully. I made a tool with a steel rod and masonry nails, spaced to the notches on the big flat nut.

I'm assembling some A and C versions tomorrow and I'll try to take pictures but one other tip I found out late in the game for me is to use a long baby-step step drill to open each hole one small step where the pins go through and are snap-ringed to hold it all together. That compensates for the new chrome process thickness and gives a tiny bit of assembly wiggle room rather than clearancing after the fact.

Not a bad project with the correct tools and enough bread crumbs to follow your way back home.

-Bruce, going back to the game after halftime.

Comment

Hope this link works.

https://porsche356registry.org/article/104
          Mic
          1959A coupe

Comment

thanks Bruce for the information. i'm going to make a tool to take the spring nut off, a couple of pieces of square stock welded to something the right dia. should do it. were are these pins and snap ring your talking about. i'm going to try and attack them tomorrow night

MMW link worked nice pictures

Comment

Jay, I was imagining B seat recliners having the inner covers snap-ringed together on posts which slightly protrude through holes. The pictures below show an A recliner and a date as struck on that set. Those go on a '59 Cab. Another shows the early and with the separate pivot/washer the late version with the smooth exterior.

Sorry for the confusion. Happy tool-making. BTW, I ground a taper on a Sears 14mm socket to get to the hardware in the recess. No 'regular' socket or wrench would fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_11801.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	55952

Name:	IMG_11781.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	55950

Name:	IMG_11791.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	55951

Bruce

Comment

thanks Bruce, I'm going to try and start my too building tonight
                Jay D.

I got them all apart and boxed ready to go to the chrome shop.
                thanks Bruce, Mic, Justin for the great advice it was an easy job after you guys got me pointed in the right direction.
                thank Jay D.

Comment

Working...
                X