The crusty '54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crusty '54

Time to get moving on this old girl. Looking for some help as I go hope you guys don't mind.... Here is my plan on getting started.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03307.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	50763

Name:	DSC03308.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	50764

I got the doors off and have metal coming and would like to get them repaired and remounted then get the get the front battery box welded in so I can get it mounted on the rotisserie.

Any thought's
    52 split window
    62 T-6 cab

Good luck with the '54.

Since you asked, one thought is to question using a battery box for a rotisserie mount. I use the suspension in the front and the trans and hoop mounting spots in the rear, as those BETTER be the strongest part of the car to be restored. If you are interested, some pictures of what I cobbled together can be posted when I return next week to where they are.

-Bruce

Comment

Bruce,

That would be great and thanks for the advise.

Plus I could use all the luck I can get with this thing the worst thing that might happen is I learn something.

Tony
      52 split window
      62 T-6 cab

Comment

Tony,

Have you seen the rotisserie we use? The plans are available on our website for free. It's great for limited space, and has lots of accessibility to work on the car. Check it out!

http://www.restoration-design.com/pdf/rotisserie.pdf

Cheers

Comment

Hey Tony, glad to see you getting started on her! Enjoy this "new toy" phase while you can as you've got an involved restoration journey ahead from what I can see. Thank you for sharing your build and I am looking forward to watching your progress! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	DSC03309.JPG
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	50860
            Well I cut the clip of this afternoon so that I can get to the trunk side panels and the battery box area. Trying to move in sections and keep this thing moving forward. Now I need to wait for a box of metal to come so I can get started on the doors. Plan on trying to get it mounted on the rotessorie this weekend.

Name:	DSC03311.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	50861
            Bought a new spot bit drill kit this afternoon this thing rocks compared to the one's I used to get from Wurth.
            52 split window
            62 T-6 cab

Comment

Things begin looking better once the ratty metal sections begin to disappear. A nice start Tony. Like that spot weld kit of yours.
              Justin

BTW: don't forget to hit the "insert" button on each of your photo attachments so they will display. Place the curser where you want them to show up and hit insert on it. You can see how I added them in after the fact on your last post.
              Justin Rio

Comment

You are off and running Tony. Good place to start with the whole front off. Wish I had done that when I started my project. Back then I did not have the confidence or knowledge to do so. I have a 55 coupe, so if you need pictures or info will be glad to help.

Phil

Comment

Thanks for the tip Justin on the pictures

Phil I could use picture of the battery box area if you have any.

Also today project is the threaded plates that hold the door hinges to the body looks like I will have make four of them up does anyone have a part number for the "T" nuts?

Name:	DSC03325.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	50927
                  52 split window
                  62 T-6 cab

Comment

They still use them on moderen Porsche/VW vehicles so hopefully I can get them from the local dealers and not wait a week.
                    52 split window
                    62 T-6 cab

Comment

They're still being made though getting the actual manufacture might be the challenging part. Here's a place to start: VW Wagen Werks

Name:	aaaaaathG1XRXNIS.jpg
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	50938
                      They offer these fender nuts though I'm sure these will be too small for the hinge bolts.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

My 55 is all original metal except the battery pan, so I don't have many shots of bare metal stuff as body has not been restored.

Name:	Overallview.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	50940

Name:	Triangularupright.jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	50941

I have a dimensioned drawing I made of the triangular battery walls. Not sure if it is jpeg, but if you need it, let me know.

This was advertised as NOS on Ebay several years ago:

Name:	EbayNOSbatterybox.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	50942

Phil

Comment

The part number was just what I needed VW still stocks them will have 20 on Monday morning. For the record the part number is N 011 407 1

Phil he pictures was just what I needed.
                          52 split window
                          62 T-6 cab

Comment

Tony,

Great start and I'm looking forward to watching your build. Mine is a '63 so the battery box is much different.

John
                            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

The door hinge threaded plates ar different too.
                              Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Working...
                              X