Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 356 engine run in stand

G-day guys,

After putting Tom's engine together, I realized I needed to up grade my engine stand. I have 4-5 engines left to build and need to get at it before I run out of time. My current stand is just the left half of a preA transmission. This has worked well for over 50 years, but it's time for an up grade.

Not fully designed yet, but I know what I want. Instruments will be the normal 356 dash information. I addition I will run a Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) for each cylinder, oxygen sensor and cylinder head temp for each side. Oil Pressure and temp gauges plus the lights.

I want to be able to see everything and isolate it by side and cylinder. Probably too much information but I want to run the in for a couple, hours before they go in the car. This way I can tune the engine, and fine adjust the carbs on the stand.

Started with the exhaust system, split pipes on each side left and right into paired collectors. Got a tube bender, (SEE RESTORATION TOOLS) and got started on the pipes. This was pretty easy, but hot work. Have not done headers in 50 years, this is fun. These bends look much better than the old cut and re weld with gas method.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2018-05-07.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	100567

Name:	image_2018-05-07-2.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	100566

Name:	image_2018-05-07-3.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	100565

Started with a engine mock up, just a spare case and heads. Cut some flanges from 5/16 plate, just copied a gasket, then made a internal sizing mandrel to square the tube at the end. (SEE 356 reproduction sheet metal) If you ever make your own exhaust tube, square the tube first, then bend it. It's hard to get the flange position correct, after bending the arc. The bender used about 1" of extra pipe in the start end of the bend, so the transition from rectangle to round will fit fine.

More to follow, thanks for watching.
    Pushed around since 1966.

test Headers look good. Puts me in mind of Harley pipes.
    Justin Rio

Comment

Let me know if you want one of these to hang a starter on there. Looks good!

Name:	ring_only_web.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	101082

Comment

Tom

I have seen these adapters and the complete engine stand. They are pretty cool. I thought about it, but I have used a split window transmission half for over 50 years. I just needed a engine holder and a control board for the gauges and instruments, and it's made from my scrap pile. I do like your ring design. I would recommend them to some one who is just starting out.

Name:	image_2018-05-31.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	101097

Oh by the way, I like your 911R back date project on YouTube series.

Comment

Moved these from new tools.

Started instrumentation installation. exhaust tempertature on each cylinder, all 80mm from the valve seats.

Name:	image_2018-05-31-2.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	101099

Name:	image_2018-05-31-3.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	101100

and oxygen sensors for each side, (yea that's a 928 sensor) these are .5v @ 14.7% O2. Super easy to check and very accurate.

Name:	image_2018-05-31-4.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	101101

Comment

Wow this is going to be a good setup. I have always thought that one of the weakness of fuel/air mixture readers is that you only get one reading for all 4 cylinders. Will you do a check that the sensors are all calibrated to read the same?

Comment

Neil

They should be easy to calibrate and I can always swap the sender and the gauges. These are the old 1v non heated, early ones. I think between the cyl head and exhaust gas tempertature, I should be able to see, if one gets out of cal

I stuck them in because I could, and I can see how the idle mixture adjustments effect the combustion. When I adjust the idle jets for peak RPM, I can cross check the Stochmetric condition of each side. I can always add one per cylinder later if it looks productive. I have one of thoes old glass spark plugs, when it's is burning blue, I should see 14.7% O2 on the sender.
              Thanks for looking

Comment

We used the test stand base today to tune and leak check the Harry Pellow rebuild repair today. Worked out just as planned. Started the instruments, but needed to use it and could not waite to finishe it. I needed to get Toms car back on the road. The 356Group NW Bull Sesson is next weekend, this is a mandatory visit to Denny Akers toy box.

Name:	image_2018-06-08-3.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	101336

Name:	image_2018-06-08-4.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	101337
                Rolls easily with the full engine on it by lifting the trans 1/4" and push or pull.
                It's so solid, I balanced a transmission bolt washer on the shroud with the engine at idle.

Name:	image_2018-06-08-5.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	101338

Comment

Thank you. I haven't heard of Denny before but he has a very interesting collection.

https://pocketmags.com/magazine-arti...idden-treasure

Is this the Popper that won the battle with Glen Campbell at Rennsport V? Search on youtube for the race!

Comment

Got the control panel fabricated and the Gauges installed to test them, so far so good. need to finish wiring the lights but they all appear to work so far.

Throttle lever on the lower left corner is going to be a challenge to interface into the shroud linkage, and calibrate for different carbs. But that's tomorrow.
                    A couple holes

Holes filled

Name:	CPholesfilled.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	101487

thanks for following

Comment

Progress on Fathers Day. Installed the gas tank and started on the instrumentation harness. Things are coming together

Name:	image_2018-06-17.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	101557
                      Put the controls on a swivel so the panel spins 270 degrees, can access it from three sides.

Name:	image_2018-06-17-2.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	101558
                      Making the cable stand offs with a magnetic base so the can be easily changed later.

Name:	image_2018-06-17-3.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	101559

Comment

Finished. Now take it apart and paint it.

Name:	image_2018-07-03.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	102064
                        Thanks for following

Comment

Nicely appointed test stand John. Opting not to put it on castor wheels?
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Another effort entirely worthy of the "Dog's Bollocks Award"! So cool. John

Comment

Justin
                              Wheels are in the legs up front, lift the transmission 1/2" and it slides around on 2" steel caster wheels. Rolls easy, I have another system for larger wheels if needed,

Name:	image_2018-07-04.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	102083

Comment

Working...
                              X