ID:	114041 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7772.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	114039 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7776.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	114040 ​ ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7907.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	114032​​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7731.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	114034
    Last edited by MarvinsPorsche; 05-11-2023, 06:30 PM.

Hey Marvin, Thanks for sharing your build here. My car is from my Father as well so I understand your passion for this car. When stripping the old paper out you'll either want one extreme or the other. If the paper and tar are really cold then it will chip away very manageably with a narrow scraper and hammer. On the other hand if you want to try and preserve the paper for a later reinstall you'll need to heat it with a gun or a map-gas torch from the backside of the panel if accessible. It takes a lot of time and patience but knowing what I do now I try and preserve as much of the original paper as possible. The repro kits are very expensive for being what they are and while some are close there is no substitute for the real deal. But again, it depends on what your final goals are with this restoration. Best of luck with it and we look forward to your progress updates.

Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• MarvinsPorsche
      MarvinsPorsche commented
      Editing a comment
      Justin - BTW I'm Mark. Dad's name was Marvin and we still refer to it as "Marvin's Porsche" in the family!

Floor work to date on driver's side.
    Last edited by MarvinsPorsche; 05-11-2023, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mark, Just saw John's post on the Registry and realized this was the same car under that tarp in the back yard?!? This car looks to be in surprisingly good condition considering the way its been stored. Tarps usually work like a hot house and the rust just goes nuts under there.

That's the one Justin!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7895.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	113583 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7906.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	113584 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7854.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	113580 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7881.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	113581 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7887.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	113582 Progress photos from my brush work on the floor pan, longitudinals, and shifter tunnel.

Comment

I am helping Mark long distance with his tub. Its better than I expected. this is his first attempt at a resurrection, so everyone feel free to chime in and help him. He is in Austin Tx., He's a good guy, if anyone is close give him a call. He can always use the help.
        Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

John - thank you! To everyone else - John is a great resource if you need help. He's mentoring me long distance and knows his stuff. Great guy.

Comment

Mark, like you I have been through the restoration process on my 59 A coupe. but I started on it though now 54 years ago, Since then a lot has changed on equipment and methods . In my opinion your best resource is any one of Justins restorations. His way of doing it and the really helpful photo;s following each stage should be carefully studied. I only had oxy/acetelene welding gear in the early 70's when I did most of my welding so many choices now and after trying a Mig a few years ago, it would have been so useful back then. Its the same with so many tools, they are so important to have nearby. Look at each area to see if its problem is replicated on the forum. If you are replacing metal always make good templates, make sure you have accurate dimensions of the existing part. Justin always has another car to make comparisions with and don't trust that replica parts you buy will always just slot into place. I guess your 58 car is a T2 version like mine? There were 356A changes frrm the early T1 to the later T2.

My car was only 10 years old when I bought it, even then it had rust as its a wet area UK delivered car and when I started, I thought 6 months should see it finished. As you no doubt already know, these time factors never usually work out like you think, months turn into years if only you are doing it. But it is very satisfying to see it gradually take shape and you be very pleased, if you make a good job of it.

If you can smile when busy on it that helps too.

Best of luck

Roy

Comment

• MarvinsPorsche
              MarvinsPorsche commented
              Editing a comment
              Roy - Thank you for the feedback and advice. I really appreciate the help I've received on here. It does take a lot of time and patience. I'm determined though and think about my Dad while working on it so I'll slowly get there.

Name:	floor pan removal update 3.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	113908
            Slow but sure progress on floor pan removal. Found a loaner rotisserie so as soon as I get it mounted should be easier than crawling under the tub to remove spot welds.
            Attached Files

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              A rotisserie is a must have for the lower steel work no two ways about it. I can imagine how miserable you must have been crawling in, around and under this car to get this far.

Name:	IMG_9123.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	114028 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9124.jpg
Views:	237
ID:	114029 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9125.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	114030 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9127.jpg
Views:	224
ID:	114031 Rust removed, Ospho applied, primer coming next.
            Attached Files

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking good! The ospho treats the metal nicely. Based on the holes I'm seeing in your rear seat pan I would highly recommend removing the parcel shelf to clean and inspect the rust and how far it may have advanced inside there. Keep up the great progress.

"highly recommend removing the parcel shelf to clean and inspect the rust and how far it may have advanced inside there" Assistance with what is the parcel shelf and how to remove it?

Comment

Take a look here: 1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625 - ABCGT Forum

Begins toward the bottom of the page. Post # 409
              Last edited by JTR70; 05-12-2023, 08:14 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

One application of Top Coat to the interior.

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking good. A fresh coat of sealer sure can change your perspective. Are you foregoing the inspection under the parcel shelf?

Mark, you are doing well , a lot of work involved but its always so nice to see an area repaired! Your dad would be smiling at your effort!

Roy

Comment

Appreciate it Roy. Its slow work and my lack of knowledge on the subject slows me even more - but I'm determined and know that will serve me well. One of Dad's mottos was "Never Give Up" and that is very helpful to remember as I'm trying to move this forward.

Comment

Working...
                  X