No announcement yet.

1964 Bali Blue SC Coupe Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ll check my car which is a B however the floor is a bit of a “v” to the tunnel. The floor is not flat from side to side to each longitudinal.
    1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
    356 Registry main thread;
    http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
    1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

• Red911
      Red911 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Scott. I put the RD floors on the garage's concrete floor and the perimeter is flat all the way around, so I am confused.

Tom

• I will check measurements. To install floor you need to bend it a bit then use jacks underneath to bring it snug to the underside of the tunnel. I also made a block (two pieces to sandwich the end) to reshape the floor at the end to get the correct curve as well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CB1A9C60-E19F-49A5-B524-D2012A78AA55.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	110629
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E845EA91-EAA9-40FB-ACF0-22B4BC6CB70B.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	110631
    Attached Files
    1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
    356 Registry main thread;
    http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
    1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

• Red911
      Red911 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Scott, I appreciate your input.

If the RD floor needs to be curved to insert, I understand that fact to get the floor inside the 1/2" 90 degree flange. However, I do not understand why my floor is flat from one side to the other side at the joint between the front and back sections?

• The tunnel flanges do sit a touch lower than the longitudinal flanges so the floor does run up hill slightly at the sides. Don't worry about the floors initial shape the flange heights are going to dictate its final profile. If tunnel is in your definitely going to have to bend it like Scott is showing so you can feed it in. So far I've had the luxury of the tunnels out so I haven't had to prebend them for clearance.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Red911
      Red911 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Justin,

To summarize where I need to be, since the tunnel is a tad lower, I can maintain the 4" from the bend on the inner longitudinal to the 90 degree flange and bend the floor as Scott demonstrates after the RD perimeter kit is installed?

• Hello all,

I am back in the garage after a long Rhode Island winter. I trust all have been vaccinated, or soon will be against Covid.

To tidy up the heater system, I wanted to remove the front heater pipe that turns vertical to the defroster. I ground off the two welds on the chassis and it seems to go all the way up to the defroster.

Has anyone taken this off? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4294[1].jpg
Views:	186
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	111248 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4294[1].jpg
Views:	183
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	111249 It is # 55 in the PET.
    Where are the welds?

[ATTACH]n111247[/ATTACH]

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see you back at it Tom!

• Hello all,

I used the PET and traced the pipe up to the rubber connector to the defroster system. The pipe is attached to the inside panel and the pipe is curved at the top, making the removal impossible.

Time for another approach.

Thanks for watching.

Tom

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      None of that old tubing strikes me as original Tom....

• Hello all,

I am retiring from restoring my '64 Bali Blue 356 Coupe.

At 75 1/2, this project is just too much for me and I sold all, and I mean all of my 911 and 356 parts to Adam Wright at Unobtainium.

I strongly recommend Adam as a purchaser because he bought my other three 356's two years ago.

What i can say is the ABCGT.com site is by far the best Porsche site on the Internet. Thank you Justin for all you do for the hobby. I learned a lot from everyone here and I thank you for that.

Best of luck and I may lurk one in a while.

Tom

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Tom, Very sorry to be reading this but at the same time I completely understand your position. We all have to take stock of our lives and be realistic about the current circumstances and the unique limitations we are all faced with during our existence in this life so I do commend you on this wise decision. I'm a few years behind you but I clearly see the writing on the wall in my own life which is why I will not entertain buying another personal project car for myself. I'll be lucky to finish what I have. So many gear heads I know with 5-10 project cars with every intention of restoring them "one day" Complete Pie in the sky from my perspective.. Thanks for all the great words of support Tom and please enjoy your retirement!. Keep in touch and stay well.

Justin

• Tom , it is true when you get over 75 its harder to sort things especially a lot of things ! I manage okay with individual jobs that I do on my car but.... although I can see some paint errors I made that have appeared over the the past 32 years since I last sprayed my car these visual things I could correct but, the thought of tackling all that stripping down work for a third time is just not going to happen. I am happy to keep it running on the road and hope it continues that way.

There is so much involved in the position you were in with your car, you made the right decision enough is enough let someone else have the fun ! You are correct though if you are involved in restoration this site is by far the one to use to help you do it.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      You still have it so correct Roy. Don't take your car apart to try and improve it now. Enjoy and drive the hell out of it just like it is. Let the next custodian worry about that...

Justin
Working...
X