Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625 - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin, you are right no way could you have repaired and welded that side wall in with the closing wall in. Your repair looks so good !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Roy! Definitely after this repair I wouldn't recommend buying the battery box as a prefabbed unit.

• Bumper bracket mounts repaired and installed:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	113848 Both inner surfaces cleaned old rust, coated in epoxy just before final installation.

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	113849 Plug welding completed. Rivet heads reinserted and plug welded in from behind preserving this original detail.

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	113850 The repro mounts are 20 gauge so I'm going to harvest and save the right side as well.

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	113851 Job went a little faster as the bottom welds gave up post accident and "repair" attempt all those years ago.

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	113852 Acid bath next while I was still in process of welding in the left side at this point.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Right bracket repair and install:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0054.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.2 KB ID:	113854 Acid cleaned and now onto rehabbing this poor thing.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.4 KB ID:	113855 Stretched and torn like its mate but a little more severe on this side.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.1 KB ID:	113856
      Several rounds of heat, welding and lots of pounding but eventually came back into usable shape.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.1 KB ID:	113857 Inner surface epoxy coated just before final install.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0060.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.1 KB ID:	113858 All welded in with reused rivets plug welded on to preserve that original detail. Onto the next deal...

Thanks for looking!

Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 03-26-2023, 10:47 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin nothing much frightens you regarding all this metalwiork repair does it !! It is so satisfying for me to sit here at my desk and watch you trasform a twisted bit of metal back into shape and correctly re-insert back into place looking as though its never been off the car. For sure , these great photos of yours somehow make it look so easy. I know it isn't and your head though is constantly thinking ahead to make sure this work all ties up with the next part to be fitted !

I remember once maybe 8 years ago telliing you I liked your variety of spring clamps ( we call them 'mole' clamps here ) They must be so useful and you seem to have so many and just perfect to get into place. How on earth could you do all the work without them? The guy who invented them needs a medal I think.

Good luck with the next deal !
        Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Roy, I'm really glad that you find this journey of some interest! I definitely get stumped from time to time but eventually a way through reveals itself. Yes, you are very aware as to what you are actually looking through here; there is a lot of time and effort in between each one of these progress shots and it doesn't just lay down and fall into place for certain. I remember your comment about those mole clamps. I'd be at a loss without the ones I have and I definitely need to expand my collection. Thanks again for all of your great comments and word of encouragement during this process. It is always appreciated! Justin
          Last edited by JTR70; 03-28-2023, 09:35 PM.

• Inner trunk panel prep.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.3 KB ID:	113862 Repairing and installing these two panels would be next
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0039.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.4 KB ID:	113863 But before they go in I do have the option of remounting my rotisserie jig to finish out the welding on the lower gussets and that diagonal brace.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0061.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.2 KB ID:	113864 While I make up my mind I went onto removing the left side wall to free up the new floor and forward closing panel.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0063.jpg Views:	3 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	113865 New reinforcement plates for the overrider tube mounts are also 20 gauge so I'll also be recycling the heavier gauge originals.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0064.jpg Views:	3 Size:	198.1 KB ID:	113866 Lots of prep and repair work before these panels can go in but this is what's next unless I decide to finish up the frame reinforcements first. Quick battery box mock up next.
        Last edited by JTR70; 03-28-2023, 09:59 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Initial battery box mock-up:

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	113868 Slid in and just about fit on the first try.

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	113869 It stopped just about a half inch shy of the bottom flange. A little trimming up on the top flange of the wall will take care of this.

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	113870 I'm going to try and keep these two panels together and avoid breaking them apart if possible.

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	113871 test with the rear wall and so far so good.

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	113872 Again, a lot of prep work yet to come but its getting there. During this mock up I discovered a huge fitment issue that would have confronted me if I had attempted to install this box as a unit. Will share that next. Thanks for looking!

Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Unforeseen issue with Prefabbed battery box unit .
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9665.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.2 KB ID:	113874 As nice as this prebuilt unit comes this was never going to fit correctly down in between the front beam mount flanges as delivered.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0077.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.1 KB ID:	113875 With the side wall mounted tight and straight off of the beam flange the new floor's edge starts out tight in the front corner then continues to taper away and comes up better than a half inch short by the time it gets to the back wall. Plug welds are in the foot print of the initial spot welds. The new back wall is mounted in this shot to confirm what I was seeing and it fits snuggly between the two walls now...
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0078.jpg Views:	3 Size:	181.1 KB ID:	113876 but I had to relax it apart with a couple of light tugs then it quickly reached both sides. You can see the floor is now short in relation to the vertical wall recess for the battery by about a half inch. This is a T1 version wall but the width between the front beam flanges is the same on all 356A cars so this was not the issue. It was just preassembled too tightly back here.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0079.jpg Views:	3 Size:	236.6 KB ID:	113877 Short on the left side as well but not as much.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0067.jpg Views:	3 Size:	203.8 KB ID:	113878 There would be no way to overcome this discrepancy without cutting the back wall and sides free and resetting them to the correct width to allow this factory overlapped attachment at the beam. Then of course adding onto the floors edge where its short; all of which I'll be doing anyway. The box was just assembled about a half inch+ too narrow at the back. Another example of reproduction part fitment issues and how you can't assume its going to plug right in no matter how nice it looks right out of the box.
            Last edited by JTR70; 03-29-2023, 10:25 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Begin forward trunk floor repairs/reinstallation prep.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0074.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.2 KB ID:	113880 A lot going on with this leading edge, Pinched seam with a lot of spots welds to break, old crash damage and the center section compromised from aggressive grinder damage.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0075.jpg Views:	3 Size:	190.7 KB ID:	113881 Spot -welds first. The really turned the amps up on their spotter when they hit this pinch seam. Heavy shouldered deformation around each one.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0080.jpg Views:	3 Size:	199.7 KB ID:	113882 Initial plan was to grind and remove the bottom of this pinch and the remains of the vertical in between. It quickly became apparent that this wasn't going to go smoothly. Because of the spot weld deformation I was grinding into the top of the panel as I was going after the first two layers. The remains of the top side would be thin and compromised at best. In light of this, the crash damage and the grinder damage repair needed at the center I decided to elmintate it all in one shot.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0081.jpg Views:	4 Size:	245.6 KB ID:	113883 Repurposing this rocker gives me a leading for a new pinch seam and just enough width to replace the damage behind it.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0083.jpg Views:	4 Size:	224.5 KB ID:	113884 Troubled areas removed with new donor section cut to rough shape. Still some straightening to go at the front of the access cover openings but only a little.
              Last edited by JTR70; 03-30-2023, 09:56 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Part 2
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0084.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.0 KB ID:	113886 Onto straightening and cleaning .
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0087.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.3 KB ID:	113887 Trickiest part was hammering out these little step details without causing more deformation.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0088.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.2 KB ID:	113888 Ready to etch in the final trim line.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0090.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	113889 New leading edge tacked in
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0089.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.8 KB ID:	113890 I like preserving original metal when I can but there was just too many obstacles along this leading edge. It was the right choice as it will be a much cleaner final presentation when its finished and mounted back in. Stitching it now.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin if ever the there was a case for using a spare part that was it! Again so sensible and rewarding to see just how good that area will be. More and more it kakes me wonder just how many people can start a project and find they can never finish it. With careful thought and some luck in having spare parts or at least another car to compare against it must be so hard to complete things. Even harderwhen a repro part that really looks so good has the dimensions too short in places. Many would think just weld it in, add some pieces and it will all fit together just fine! Again without the right inspection fixtures etc so very difficult.
                  Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Roy! I have a corner of junk/scrap metal that I'd like to get rid of but can't bring myself to just throw it out and its instances like this one that really reinforces why I don't. It was nice win/win though as it saved some fabrication time, repurposed an old part and reduced my scrap pile just a touch. Agree, rebuilding these cars in the way that they were originally constructed especially down in the deep recesses can be extremely trying and corner cutting can become a very attractive option when you get really deep into things. I've been there many a time...
                    Last edited by JTR70; 04-03-2023, 09:08 PM.

• Hello Justin (and Roy), What lovely work as always. Reading it/catching up, I was anticipating that you’d straighten that damaged driver side vertical panel with a wide clamp and a Celette pulling arm, plus some heat and hammer/dolly work. Obviously not necessary. You do conservation as much as restoration, utterly scrupulous and almost monk-like in your integrity … a lesson for us all. I certainly always come away from reading your posts with a healthy dose of Zen.

kind wishes, John

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi John, Unfortunately I don't own that fancy pulling arm but it wouldn't have helped much for pulling out that old battery wall since most the deformation/damage was lateral. Definitely, I do try and save as much of the old metal as possible where it makes sense but some times it isn't worth the effort and you're just better off with a fresh piece of metal. Just doing the best that I can to copy what the factory did all those years ago with what I have on hand and my current skill level. Thank you very much for those kind words and wishes!
                    Last edited by JTR70; 04-03-2023, 09:22 PM.

• Forward trunk floor repairs complete:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0093.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.6 KB ID:	113896 Entire run stitched together.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0091.jpg Views:	0 Size:	245.2 KB ID:	113897 Lots of grinding and weld finishing next; especially around that ID number. Heat deformation and a few low spots of old accident damage under these two reinforcement ribs so they were removed for a clear shot with a hammer and dolly.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0094.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.0 KB ID:	113900 Weld joint smoothing complete with low spots and deformation leveled. Lateral plug weld holes drilled and as numerous as the original spots to replicate the attachment strength.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0097.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.8 KB ID:	113898 With the holes predrilled I could begin heeling the flange over a little more in preparation for the vertical wall flange.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0099.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.5 KB ID:	113899 Weld repairs to the floor all but complete. Onto the vertical wall repairs.
                  Last edited by JTR70; 04-04-2023, 05:30 PM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Back to upper vertical wall repairs.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0100.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.2 KB ID:	113902 Cleaning off the remains of the old trunk floor on the lateral flanges and straightening out some old accident damage.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0101.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.6 KB ID:	113903 Lateral top flanges cleaned and prepped. Reopening and flaring the center conduit hole next.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0103.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.3 KB ID:	113905 The hole was flared towards the tube end as originally done.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.1 KB ID:	113904 A gas weld around the tubes end on this side will join these two when the time comes.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0104.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.3 KB ID:	113906 Repairs and prep between these two panels mating surfaces all but complete. Onto repairing the bottom and the sides of this wall so it can finally go in for good.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                    Last edited by JTR70; 04-04-2023, 05:46 PM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Dash top detour:

Upholstery for this car is getting ready to wrap up so I need to get this new dash top fitted and trimmed to this car and sent off to Autos International.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0105.jpg Views:	3 Size:	185.7 KB ID:	113924 This R/D's dash top offering and I have to say, right out of the box , this is the best fitting new part I've ever tried. Its a complex piece for sure and the initial fitment issue was its inability to slide all the way home. As you can see its leading edge was about a half inch shy of the car's leading edge reveal.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0108.jpg Views:	3 Size:	192.5 KB ID:	113925 My first thought was that the tabs were set just a few mm's too far forward.

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	113926 I thought I'd have to remove them for repositioning but after lifting them upward...

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	113927 that turned the trick allowing the cap to move forward that last half inch. Sure is nice when the answer is easy. Doesn't happen too often but I'll take it when I can.

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	113928 Fortunate to have my original dash top on hand for correct positioning and contour confirmation.
                      Last edited by JTR70; 04-16-2023, 09:53 PM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Dash top part2:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0110.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.9 KB ID:	113930 With the dash top fully seated I moved to the right side corner first to shape and relief cut an opening for the sun roof drain tubes.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0115.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.6 KB ID:	113931 Unfortunately I don't have an original reference as to how these corners were trimmed back so it will be opened slightly larger than the drain hole behind it.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0117.jpg Views:	3 Size:	168.1 KB ID:	113932 Final opening shape with rolled edges to make life easier on the eventual material that will be wrapped over top.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0118.jpg Views:	3 Size:	176.2 KB ID:	113933 Another of many repeated test fits as it goes. Slightly oversized to account for future material thickness.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0119.jpg Views:	3 Size:	165.3 KB ID:	113934 I don't have a section of actual drain tube on hand either so this is all just a guesstimation. Hopely this will work on installation day.

Last edited by JTR70; 04-16-2023, 10:10 PM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                        X