Comment

11/3/17

New door skin finally mounted.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5834.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	92988
      Pretty much had the skin in its best adjusted position here.

Name:	IMG_5835.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	92989
      Forward corner of the rocker sags a little but it still needs to be removed to repair the longitudinal so I'll have my opportunity to clean this line up against the final finished shape of this repaired door.

Name:	IMG_5839.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	92990
      But before I could lay down my first tack weld I noticed this really strong crown or bulged at the center in relation to the rocker. The rocker is slightly bent inward but the threshold line is still straight and the center of this skin was hanging out way too far.

Name:	IMG_5840.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	92991
      Once I dismounted the door and removed the skin my straight edge highlighted the problem. The lower flange is bowed at the center. I checked some original examples and the best I can tell is that there is some slight bow in the factory flanges but not this pronounced. As more confirmation the new repair section for the right side isn't this curvy.

Name:	IMG_5841.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	92992
      A little hammer work to reduce some of that excess curve. Always something.

Name:	IMG_5843.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	92993
      After a few more rounds of trial and error I was finally able to tack it on. I finally won.

Name:	IMG_5844.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	92994
      The entire upper run is a slight overlap and I was in no mood to remove it one more time just to get that last fine trim in.

Name:	IMG_5845.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	92996
      But first began joining old with new permanently at this upper rear corner and would work my way forward to chase out any potential "bunching" along the way.

Name:	IMG_5847.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	92995
      Decided on zip wheeling the excess on a very steep approach angle versus straight on to reduce the gap width of the final joint.

Name:	IMG_5848.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	92997
      It really turned the trick as once they were pushed into level position I had a close gap. I also had angled edges which seem to blend together really nice on this convex surface.

Name:	IMG_5849.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	92998
      I took it in stages and ground back to each of my initial tack welds then carefully set and tacked these small runs into final position then repeated the process. At this point I just have a little more to grind out at the front but she's almost there. Much to my great relief this joint is holding the shape I need so far.

Thanks for stopping by!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

This time I let you write what your "green arrows" mean before I ask

Good that you catched the missalignment before having done everything and bolted it back...

So often that you se wrongly made doors, front fender and back that dont follow a line on older renovations.... I think people are a litle bit more aware of it today! Also thanks to guys like you Justin that takes the time and photo to blog/write about the "traps"

As always you do a good job that doesnt need to be shown in a dimmed poor lighted room
        JOP

Comment

Justin,

I would have liked you around over 40 years ago when I welded my self fabricated half door skin. Trouble is you were only a very young lad then I guess.

Really nice result been wondering how it would go for you.

Roy

Comment

Thank you Per!

Yeah Roy, I'm afraid I wouldn't have been much help to you back when you did your doors. Thanks once again you guys; Always appreciated!
            Justin
            11/4/17

Name:	IMG_5851.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	93022
            Entire upper run all tacked in. Placing a lot of tacks in first then once close enough I'll zip-weld between the spots.

Name:	IMG_5850.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	93023
            This area felt right with the forward run still overlapped but now that its all level this area felt a touch high now. Zipped the tacks and reset it ever so slightly lower. A few years ago I wouldn't have bothered and just would have seamed it right up thinking I'd correct it later. Heat distortion aside if you "lock" or set the material in the wrong place to begin with its only going to get harder to correct after the fact. Just one of those hard knock lessons you pick up by failing at it few times first.

Name:	IMG_5855.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	93024
            After that adjustment I welded and finished this rear corner and edge first.

Name:	IMG_5852.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	93025
            This run will have some rollers in it before its all over for sure but hopefully I'll get it all ironed back out.

Name:	IMG_5856.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	93026
            Repeat more of the same process tomorrow.
            Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

cool, neat trick with the cutoff wheel.
              I just put a lower skin on mine, the door was fine but the pinch weld at the bottom had some rust in it. so I took care of that with the skin. anyway my door undamaged had a curve to it much like yours with the level on it. it fits my threshold good as it has the same curve.
              Jay D.

Comment

Yeah Jay, the doors are not supposed to be flat and should have subtle curve but my repair had too much curve in it.

11/6/17

Finishing up the new skin installation.

Name:	IMG_5860.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	93118
                This long upper weld joint fully stitched and ground.

Name:	IMG_5861.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	93119
                A great relief to get this one in the books and with minimal distortion.

Name:	IMG_5863.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	93120
                A quick pass with a body file highlights the irregularities. Nothing serious

Name:	IMG_5878.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	93121
                and will pick and file this run right after I have the back side ground smooth. I'm going to hold off until the rest of this skin install is complete.

Name:	IMG_5864.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	93122
                moved onto crimping down the flanges.

Name:	IMG_5865.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	93123
                Door skin jaws crimp down only so tight so once initially set I followed it up with a hammer and dolly to draw the flange even tighter still.

Part 1
                Justin Rio

Comment

Looks great Justin. I too used MIG as the mating of the old and new metal doesn't go that well with TIG. Maybe due to the thickness difference.

JP
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

LOOKS GREAT, i'm sure glad i'm past that stage. now if I could only get some ambition.
                    Jay D.

Comment

Can you show a photo of the tool you used to crimp over the door skin along the edge please.
                      1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
                      356 Registry main thread;
                      http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
                      1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

Scott, you can see it in the second to last photo above to the right of the door resting on that angle iron. Its nothing special, I bought that from Eastwood almost 20 years ago.

Thanks John! TIG is a softer and easier weld to work with but I am just too slow at it and I am up against the clock here so my MIG is the best option to knock it out in a timely manner. Since this weld is harder there is a concern about it cracking as its worked but I've got it dialed in enough to where it hasn't been an issue. The coupster body was almost entirely MIG'd and I Picked, filed and literally beat the shit out of some of those joints to get the contour I needed; all with no cracking I like the TIG weld more but I just can't spend the additional time on this door.
                        Thanks again you guys!

part 2 of my earlier post

Name:	IMG_5869.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	93128
                        After crimping down the flanges the door was reinstalled (again) and as you can see it grew a little and closed up the bottom gap. I'll compensate for this change when the rocker is reinstalled.

Name:	IMG_5867.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	93129
                        Very happy with the initial shape and transition off the rocker; the straight parts.

Name:	IMG_5866.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	93130
                        Not all good news of course as strong crown or bulge remained on the more forward section. I didn't get it all on the first try before the skin was installed. Some of the rocker is bent here but its more than that as there is just a general bulge in the lower skin in this area.

Name:	IMG_5880.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	93132
                        Block sanded the area to highlight that troubling high spot.

Name:	IMG_5879.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	93131
                        The skin is snugly against the bottom flange in this area so I know for sure its shape is translating through the skin. Tried carefully hammering it but with no real change.

Name:	IMG_5881.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	93133
                        Its not much just a couple thousands high but just enough to piss me off. My foremost concern through this problem was not to F-up that beautiful new skin as I chased this.

Name:	IMG_5882.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	93134
                        I left it for the night and came up with trying to carefully apply pressure while tapping the bottom flange to try and get it to collapse a touch the following day. Didn't work and I was getting pissed.

Name:	IMG_5883.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	93135
                        I tried to avoid it but I ended up relief cutting this section of flange to get it in so that unwanted crown would relax.

Name:	IMG_5885.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	93136
                        That turned the trick. Hard to tell with the damaged rocker but the general shape of the door is now there. It sure wasn't much as this area was brought in literally only the width of my cutting wheel but it gave me the contour I needed in the end.

Name:	IMG_5886.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	93137
                        Moved onto the vertical joint and should have that knocked out tomorrow. Just about have this door rebuilt.

Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,

I bet you were so pleased with your decision to leave the top portion of the original door skin in place. Great result

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy, that decision seems alright now as its falling into place but had it fought me more I could have just as easily regretted it.

11/7/17

Left door shell repair and welding completed.

Name:	IMG_5887.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	93166
                            Most of the vertical run welded up and dressed smooth here.

Name:	IMG_5888.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	93167
                            Then it was onto finishing out the lower forward corner.

Name:	IMG_5891.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	93168
                            Lower corner complete.

Name:	IMG_5893.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	93169
                            Gas weld details replicated as found on the original section.

Name:	IMG_5894.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	93170
                            Moved to the rear corner to heat and roll it over tight. Relief shape not quite right.

Name:	IMG_5895.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	93171
                            Referred to this original.

Name:	IMG_5896.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	93172
                            Horizontal flange continues onto the edge and since this will always show a small patch was added for the right detail.

Name:	IMG_5898.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	93173
                            Welded and dressed. The vertical flange will eventually be smoothed over in lead as originally but I'm not soldering just yet.

Name:	IMG_5899.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	93174
                            That long relief cut along the bottom fully welded and dressed. This officially capped my welding duties on this door shell.

Name:	IMG_5902.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	93175
                            Remounted on the car to see what I finally ended up with.

Name:	IMG_5901.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	93176
                            Like the rocker the front fender shape suffers from old accident damage which will be repaired to work off of the shape and contour of this door.

Name:	IMG_5889.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	93177
                            leading edge is original so I maintained factory gap which won't require a ton of lead.

Name:	IMG_5890.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	93178
                            Fender also suffers from rust too so this leading edged section will need to be cut open and replaced but again it leaves me open to reshaping it to suit the "new" door without the need for a lot filler to be right.

Name:	IMG_5900.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	93179
                            At least now I have a finished and committed closing panel shape and size to build around.

Name:	IMG_5903.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	93181
                            What is left yet to do is lead soldering and the planishing on that upper weld joint; all bodywork related from here on in. A long road to get here and I did savor the view from this tiny plateau but its now time to start down into the next valley.

Name:	IMG_5826.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	93180
                            Right door shell repair next.
                            Thanks for looking!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,

Great set of photos and text to go with them. Anyone welding a door would find them invaluable.

Roy

Comment

+1!

Comment

Working...
                                X