Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Coupe Project

Hello,

I am just starting a restoration on my 58 356 Normal Coupe, SN 102364, which left the factory Dec 9,1957 with an aquamarine paint and a brown interior. I am calling it little blue even though its more like old yeller right now. It sat in a barn in Norfolk VA area and the salty air has done a number to it rusting out just about anywhere it can. Luckly it has the original engine and trans and 95% of all the parts still intact.

I have removed the engine and am stripping it down now finding more hidden damage, the front had been crunched in pretty good so the whole front end will need to be rebuilt when the rust has been conquered. I have a local guy that has a jig for the bodywork so I may hand that part over but plan on tackling most the rest myself.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Jesse Benedict

JOP

Comment

Thanks for sharing your build Jessie! Yep, pretty much what I was expecting to see on the inside. The only two pieces of advice I'd have at this stage is to finish stripping all the removable parts then get it all media blasted clean so you know exactly what your up against. You can count additional and deeper rot than your now seeing. The last must have at least in my opinion is getting it on a rotisserie to perform the chassis repairs. Its shear torture to attempt chassis repair on your back
      Looks as if both longitudinals are compromised and open on your car as well. Even though you have the triangulation of the roof the integrity of the chassis is severely compromised at this point. I'm in the middle of similarly rusted out 59 coupe and added this holding jig as added insurance. This is the second car its been in and what works best about this design is it stays out of the way while the longs and floors are installed and can stay through the duration. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6799.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	104084

Hope this photos shows. trying to get that issue resolved.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• lil’blue
        lil’blue commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice! I am surprised the doors still shut and have the proper gap on mine as rusted at it is.

Hi Jesse,

That looks like a great project. I will second what Justin recommended: take everything off with lots of pictures then get it media blasted. You'll then have a much better idea of what needs replacement. I put mine on a hoop rotisserie and got it media blasted. Shoring up the interior with braces and making sure the body is in spec are also key.

Good luck.

John
      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
      X