Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2998 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Engine room details - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine room details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi John
    on my car there are only two on each side because the rear lower part from the engine bay is new ... but without the straps. That was my intention to start this topic. I don't know where and how much of this straps are mounted ( see post #1)

What I have is this
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_59930.jpg Views:	3 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	104254

The straps are 15 mm wide and the leggs each 20 mm

What we still miss now are the straps (position and how much) on the rear side.

I found this on the porsche356registry.
    Maybe anybody know Cliff or is registered bei porsche 356 registry and can send a PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	104257

Bruno
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bruno356; 01-18-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

It's a great start. I've got an email out to Tom Perazzo who also has a Karmann, but have yet to hear from him.
      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

I researched the Registry Forum and found some great photos and information. The outcome is that there are 3 tabs along each side base 15 mm wide and each leg of the 90 bend is 20 mm long. These are specific to Karmann cars. Bruno: about how far from the side wall is the upright tab?
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	252.1 KB ID:	104278 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	303.2 KB ID:	104279 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	322.5 KB ID:	104280 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	219.8 KB ID:	104281 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	214.7 KB ID:	104277
          Last edited by John Pierce; 01-19-2019, 01:31 PM.
          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Here's a few old photos of my 64 karmann coupe. Not sure if they are clear enough? My car is far away from home so this is the best I have at the moment. Those tabs are present on the side I don't remember the strip Bruno is referring to.

Comment

Thanks for posting Tom. I spoke with Mike Wilson yesterday who also has a Karmann and his car only has 2 tabs along each side, while the pictures of Cliff Hanson's car have 3 tabs along each side. I would think that the insulation would be held in place better with 3 tabs.
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Pierce View Post
                Bruno: about how far from the side wall is the upright tab?
                about 5 mm

Bruno

Comment

Newly installed Karmann engine tray insulation clips. Now to make the insulation!

JP

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	812.2 KB ID:	104681 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	784.1 KB ID:	104682 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	777.7 KB ID:	104683
                  Last edited by John Pierce; 02-08-2019, 10:44 AM.
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Engine compartment looks fantastic John! A shame to cover all your handy work with sound deadener.

Cool. Thank you for the pictures. Now I have a template What kind of sound deadener will there be?
                  Bruno

Comment

Despite rumors of my imminent retirement, I am trying to get old jobs out of the shop to make room for more, thus my absence from this great site.
                    That said, I must tease: my first roommmate from art school just sold a younger T-6 Karmann owner here a complete set of the rear engine bay insulation pieces, good used, for about $200. The big package came to me at the shop very recently and I have yet to un-pack it, but if photos would help anyone, I'd be happy to oblige.

Comment

Originally posted by bbspdstr View Post
                      Despite rumors of my imminent retirement, I am trying to get old jobs out of the shop to make room for more, thus my absence from this great site.
                      That said, I must tease: my first roommmate from art school just sold a younger T-6 Karmann owner here a complete set of the rear engine bay insulation pieces, good used, for about $200. The big package came to me at the shop very recently and I have yet to un-pack it, but if photos would help anyone, I'd be happy to oblige.
                      Photos would be fine. Thank you very much!
                      Bruno

Comment

James Nelsons original T6 engine compartment showing no tabs. A karmann versus Reutter detail?? Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60235.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	104832
                        Photo courtesy of James Nelson
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin,

That engine bay is a Reutter: there are no insulation tabs and the insulation is a tar paper with a waffled appearance. The Karmann engine bay has insulation tabs and the insulation is a hardboard with jute against the metal with a flat non-waffled appearance.
                          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• JTR70
                            JTR70 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Makes perfect sense John. Thanks!

Here are a couple of engine compartment shots I took of an all original T6 S90. Might be of some reference use.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	105769 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2549.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	105770
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...