Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2774 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2971 Engine room details - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine room details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine room details

Hi

At the bottom are some metal strips welded. Maybe there are more on the replaced part?
    A third part left and right?
    And how much on the back?

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	103979

There are holes in the back. Two with d: 30mm and one with d: 50mm.
    At the end, are they closed with a rubber and what they are for?

Name:	
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	103981

There was a thin stripe welded outside. I think there is for grounding the rear lights. Unfortunately they did not replaced bevor mounting the outer panel. Where are they welded or is there a better solution for grounding the rear lights?

Name:	
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	103982

25 years build up with a lot of breaks. Unfortunately I do not remember me to all those detail!

Thank you very much for suggestions!

Happy New Year

Bruno

Attached Files
    Last edited by Bruno356; 12-31-2018, 07:11 AM.

Hey Bruno, yes, the thin metal straps where the tail light grounds. You could just as easily run a small length of wire to serve as a ground. As for back wall detail, I don't have a 356 that "new" to take photo. Hopefully John or Phil will see this and take shot of theirs for you. 25 years goes by in a hurry doesn't it??
    Happy New Year BTW!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Bruno,

The thin metal strips are used throughout the car to hold the wiring harness in place. I made new strips and replaced all of mine as with the bending and unbending over time the metal became weak and split. Below is a picture of the replacement panel I made for the rear of the engine bay with the tabs spot welded on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_59881.jpg Views:	2 Size:	518.3 KB ID:	104152

From Bruce Baker: The inner rear hole is there merely for wrench access to the inner nuts for the rear light units for 356 A, B and C and covered with a rubber plug. The later A models with US bumpers had a hole in the center of the plug so the angled support tubes for the guards could be sealed with some fitment flexibility through similar sized holes in the outer body. Electrical wires do not go through these holes. Cut a hole in the covering insulation for access to rubber plug, i.e.; slightly bigger in diameter than the plug. The wires for the rear lights come from underneath the rear engine bay 'tray' and if an original wiring harness is being re-installed, that last transverse section of wiring will likely be brittle and hard from the heat of the muffler over the years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	108.8 KB ID:	104148

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	935.3 KB ID:	104149

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	675.0 KB ID:	104150

HTH,

John
      Last edited by John Pierce; 01-13-2019, 01:52 PM.
      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Phil Planck
        Phil Planck commented
        Editing a comment
        Had to replace a few back there on Foam Car.

Originally posted by John Pierce View Post
      Hi Bruno,

The thin metal strips are used throughout the car to hold the wiring harness in place. I made new strips and replaced all of mine as with the bending and unbending over time the metal became weak and split. Below is a picture of the replacement panel I made for the rear of the engine bay with the tabs spot welded on.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_59881.jpg Views:	2 Size:	518.3 KB ID:	104152

From Bruce Baker: The inner rear hole is there merely for wrench access to the inner nuts for the rear light units for 356 A, B and C and covered with a rubber plug. The later A models with US bumpers had a hole in the center of the plug so the angled support tubes for the guards could be sealed with some fitment flexibility through similar sized holes in the outer body. Electrical wires do not go through these holes. Cut a hole in the covering insulation for access to rubber plug, i.e.; slightly bigger in diameter than the plug. The wires for the rear lights come from underneath the rear engine bay 'tray' and if an original wiring harness is being re-installed, that last transverse section of wiring will likely be brittle and hard from the heat of the muffler over the years.

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	108.8 KB ID:	104148

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	935.3 KB ID:	104149

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	675.0 KB ID:	104150

HTH,

John
      Hi John
      Thank you very much for your explanation. I Understand all about the two holes for the rear light and the strips outside the engine bay for the wiring but the question abot the strips inside the engine bay is still open. Are there also strips on the backside like these one the side walls from the engine bay. I think these are to hold the insulation from the engine bay in place?

Thank you very much

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

There are no tabs along the sides. I don't know what those angle pieces are for. Below are some pictures of my completed engine bay. HTH. John

Name:	
Size:	723.7 KB
ID:	104166

Name:	
Size:	667.8 KB
ID:	104167

Name:	
Size:	604.0 KB
ID:	104168
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

There are no tabs along the sides. I don't know what those angle pieces are for. Below are some pictures of my completed engine bay. HTH. John

OK! Thank's for the pictures. You did it very nice!

Maybe I still find a picture of a karmann notchback BT6 engine bay for the (original) reconstruction, or I remove all ...

Thank you very much
          Bruno
          Last edited by Bruno356; 01-15-2019, 06:07 AM.

Comment

My car was made by the Karmann Karosserie and the engine bay was original when I repaired it.
            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Looking good John!

Comment

Karmann T-6 models used the short, stout tabs in the engine bay for this:
                NLA-551-981-08 Engine Compartment Insulation Kit -Made in Germany, Exactly As Original! Fits 356B T6 and 356C Karmann Coupe 64455198108

Comment

Originally posted by bbspdstr View Post
                  Karmann T-6 models used the short, stout tabs in the engine bay for this:
                  https://www.stoddard.com/nla-551-981-08.html.html

And they (stout tabs is the engl. name?) are arranged like that?

Name:	
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	104209

The "Engine Compartment Sound Insulation Kit" from Stoddard is not a cheap thing .

Thank you

Bruno
                  Last edited by Bruno356; 01-17-2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Ouch, that was high priced!
                    Then you can build your 356 as the Light weight version
                    a litle noisier but a Racer
                    With you name Bruno then you must be the one visiting Anders metal meting in DK?
                    And been written about...was it a front fender ?
                    Cheers
                    JOP

Comment

Wow! That's interesting Bruce. Can you post any pictures of the tabs in position (i.e. location and number)? About how far from the vertical wall were they placed? Have you been asked to put new ones when you do your restorations? Looking back at the pictures of the engine bay when I bought the car I find that the surround was a replacement. Sorry about the misinformation! Bruno, can you post more pictures of all the tab positions?

That Stoddard replacement is pretty pricey!!

Thanks.

John
                      Last edited by John Pierce; 01-17-2019, 12:50 PM.
                      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by JOP View Post
                        Ouch, that was high priced!
                        Then you can build your 356 as the Light weight version
                        a litle noisier but a Racer
                        With you name Bruno then you must be the one visiting Anders metal meting in DK?
                        And been written about...was it a front fender ?
                        Cheers
                        Yes it's me
                        The "Metal Meets"by Anders in Denmark were great. Cool guys and I learned a lot. I built (started there) fenders and door pannel.
                        Were you there ?

Bruno

Name:	
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	104230

Name:	
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	104231 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	104232
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Pierce View Post
                          Wow! That's interesting Bruce. Can you post any pictures of the tabs in position (i.e. location and number)? About how far from the vertical wall were they placed? Have you been asked to put new ones when you do your restorations? Looking back at the pictures of the engine bay when I bought the car I find that the surround was a replacement. Sorry about the misinformation! Bruno, can you post more pictures of all the tab positions?

That Stoddard replacement is pretty pricey!!

Thanks.

John
                          No Problem about the "misinformation". It's my fault because I did no pictures when i startet with this work. But I think it would be difficult to see this details on 30 year old Polaroids

Bruno

Comment

Bruno,

Nice metal fabrication! Looks like a good class that you took.

Was hoping to get some pictures of your engine tray to see the placement of tabs: location, number, etc. How much space is there between the wall and the tab for the thickness of the insulation? What is the size of the tab?

Thanks.

John
                            Last edited by John Pierce; 01-18-2019, 01:54 PM.
                            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                            X