No announcement yet.

Re: 1949 Porsche Gmund Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best man to answer is certainly Jacques Mertens the actual owner of 356 GT 061
    I will forward him your questions, but without waiting his answer I have found the following explanantions in JP Delsaux book dedicat'd to Gilberte Thirion pilot career
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GTParisstraph3.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	56448

Comment

• According to JP Delsaux, the 8th edition of the Evian-Mont-Blanc-Geneva rallye was the last race for 356 GT 061
      From its first race early 1952 to the last one July 28th/August 1st 1954,356 GT 061 had been constantly up graded to the last factory improvements
      For that last race 356 GT 061 had not only the engine in the center, but also the last version of the 1500 race engine with 4 carburators
      At the end of the Evian Mont Blanc Geneva rallye Gilberte was very tired
      She asked a family friend Gilbert Sabine (the father of Thierry S

Comment

• Gilbert Sabine (father of Thierry Sabine creator of the Paris Dakar rallye) to drive her back to Cannes city where the Thirion had a villa
        During the drive Gilbert Sabine lost control of the car aand hit a car coming in front

Name:	GTSabijne.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	56451

Comment

• GT 061 was severly damaged, and the wreck was taken back by lorry to Bruxelles where she stayed for several years in a garage
          So at least one answer : the Evian Mont Blanc Geneva rallye was the first and the last race with a central engine
          Now remain the question to know if the engine was still in the center when Jacques Mertens bought the car
          I hope he will answer

Comment

• I must say that a 4-carb 1500 is a fascinating proposition.

I don't suppose you might have more info and/or photos of this engine.

I find the very early "Factory" race engines very interesting.
            ----------
            Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

• S. J. :
              Several of the Glocker cars, 550-01 and -02 and a few others were equipped, not with 4 carburetors, but 2 two-barrel carburetors, of the first version of the Solex 40 PII. The next addition of the registry has an article on this range of carbs. I have had some experience with them, and they are, frankly, not very good at other than full throttle. This is true of the first 3 versions. The 4th 40 PII-4, sand-cast, is very good, indeed. The 40 PII-4, die-cast, (S90-SC) is equally good (when properly reconditioned after 50 years of use) by one of the usual suspects.
              Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• OK. So, now my ignorance begs further relief...

What port configuration was used on the heads of Gmund cars, neo-Factory race cars, and derivative bespoke cars?

I would expect that single-port VW heads were the order of the day for production, but I wonder about sportier uses.

Anyone care to educate me?

Thanks.
                ----------
                Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

• Iced in today and just reading this thread for the first time. Very enjoyable!!
                  Thanks to those who put this together.
                  Ashley Page

Comment

• 356 061 in action during the 8th edition of the Evian Mont Blanc Geneve rallye with the engine in the center
                    As you may see the car has quite suffered from the bad earth roades which may

Name:	GTOGEvian54.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	56771
                    explain the accident taking the car back to Cannes after the end of the rallye

Comment

• Originally posted by Porschinelle" post=25316
                      356 061 in action during the 8th edition of the Evian Mont Blanc Geneve rallye with the engine in the center
                      As you may see the car has quite suffered from the bad earth roades which may

explain the accident taking the car back to Cannes after the end of the rallye
                      Thanks for posting all this information!
                      One of my favorite pictures in this thread.

Back on page 12 SJ raised a question about the "mail slot" in the nose. Probably everyone has noticed by now but a nicely done flush cover can be seen on a lot of the cars - maybe all of them have the cover but some disappear in grainy photos.
                      Attached Files
                      Ashley Page

Comment

• Love this picture. Makes me want to torture some aluminum into a new fan shroud. I really like the aluminum generator adaptor plate with the kidney shaped holes. Those two are going on my 356 projects list.

Anyone know where the air ducts on either side of the engine bay begin?

Also, could it be that the coil is built into the distributor cap or is it just not yet installed?
                        Attached Files
                        Ashley Page

Comment

• You can see the coil wire coming out of the cap, attached to the fan shroud, so for some reason I would say it has been removed. Also, interesting throttle linkage. Note the absence of metal fuel filter in front of pump, and banjo fuel fitting on top of pump.

Comment

• Originally posted by foamcar" post=25322
                            You can see the coil wire coming out of the cap, attached to the fan shroud, so for some reason I would say it has been removed. Also, interesting throttle linkage. Note the absence of metal fuel filter in front of pump, and banjo fuel fitting on top of pump.
                            If that is the coil wire it looks like it goes through the fan shroud.

On a closer look the generator adaptor plate may be hammer tone painted steel.
                            Ashley Page

Comment

• Schwimmwagens and some early post war VW's had the coil mounted on the back of the fan shroud.
                              52 split window
                              62 T-6 cab

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	gmund1978626.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	56797

Name:	gmund10169.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	68.1 KB