Silver or Black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver or Black?

Is there rhyme or reason to the finish on the case hardware? I've got a big bucket of nuts and bolts (all 14mm ATF). Some are black, some are silver. Some are gold, but I believe those are for 912s. Anyone care to weigh in on what is the correct plating or finish for a '58 normal, and a '61 super?

Hi David,

According to Victor Miles all 356 case-half bolts, washers and nuts were black oxide. The third member nuts/ acron nuts were cadmium plated.(silver)

Best Regards, Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,
      Thanks much for the info. I' still curious what the silver (cad plated) sets I have are from. They are in the right size and quantity to definitely have come from a case. Early 912 possibly, before the change to yellow cad? There have been two industrial cases in my possession. Maybe they used the silver type? Not important, I'm just curious. Will use the black oxide for the motors I am building now.

DG

Comment

Hey David, Sure no problem. Yellow/gold zinc plate would most definitely be a 901 thing if that is the original plating. What make does it say on the bolt heads? If they're NSF or Karro then they are from a 356. Kammax was the brand used for 901. Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
        X