electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric fuel pump

i'm in-between several projects on my 356. I have the underside and interior area epoxied and thought I would run my new brake line and fuel line today. I would like to use an electric fuel pump. so were do most people put the pump? I know they like to push rather than pull but the shouldn't be a problem with the 356. I was thinking of putting it at the forward end of the tunnel somewhere near were the flex line from the fuel cock meets the steel line. but I also think back were the line exits the tunnel next to the trans might be a better location. so were do you put one?
    thanks Jay D.

this might help.

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/103-356-T-1-Rebuild.html?limit=6&start=234
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Comment

I have a C and mounted two pumps on the V brace under the fuel tank. I used a single pole double throw switch mounted in the sunroof switch location to select either one or the other pump. Only one runs at a time and the other is a spare. Used two check valves to prevent pumping back thru the unused pump. The pumps are mounted to a stainless bracket isolated from the car by two rubber mounts.

I used the pierburg 12V pumps. They may be dual voltage and I think they have 6V versions. Some have had failures with those pumps. They need a return or bypass line to live as is stated in the paper that comes with the pump and on their web site. I added a bypass regulated by a small orfice that still provides some pressure and the need for a regulator. An equally good or maybe better solution might be a better regulator with a return line provision. But I put my bypass at the pumps so I would not have to run a second line from the rear of the car back to the tank.

The filter is mounted to the underside of the body near the left rear axle. The regulator is in the engine compartment on the firewall.

I made up stainless steel fuel lines to replace all the original lines. 8mm (I think?) thin wall stainless tubing available from McMaster Carr on line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-05-30.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	61732

Name:	image_2015-05-30-2.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	61733

Name:	image_2015-05-30-3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	61734

Name:	image_2015-05-30-4.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	61735

Name:	image_2015-05-30-5.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	61736

Name:	image_2015-05-30-6.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	61737
      Ashley Page

Comment

I installed an electric fuel pump in my 6 volt 63 356 B to prime the carbs. If my Coupe sits for more than 2 weeks there's a lot of cranking going on to start. I bought the "Kit" from Ed Rutherford at Klasse356.com who put the kit together for me. It contained every thing one needs for the installation including great instructions.

I didn't want the pump in the floorboard or in the engine bay. I had the pump mounted on top of the right diagonal brace since there is already a hole there for the bracket. Then they drilled a hole for the ground wire on the same channel and attach with a bolt and ring terminal. The hot wire of the pump runs thru the brake light switch wire grommet above the master cylinder, following those wires up to the steering column and under the dash.

I used an original sunroof switch as the my primer switch. The hot lead comes from the ignition switch. We picked up one of the connections next to the radio wire as it is only hot when the ignition is in the on position. We installed a fuse holder on the other wire from the switch (the one leading back to the pump). It takes a 10 amp fuse.

If you do use the sun roof switch, it just snaps into the rectangular hole under the dash to the left of the steering column. You can pig-tail the wire from two terminals to a single wire to the fuse so the pump can be activated either by pressing the switch to the right or left (open or close) mode of the switch. It's about an 1.5 hour job.

For those concerned with the authenticity of the appearance it's all reversible and can be removed as easily as it was installed. Using an original sunroof switch gave it the original touch.

Name:	image_2015-05-30.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	61739

Comment

Thanks MIC interesting reading. I'm still on the ropes with this I think would like to just run the electric pump only and mount it back by the trans. this should work as its gravity fed. then have a regulator in the engine compartment if necessary.

Ashley very nice looking pump system! I have a 58 A, so if I go out to the front to mount the pump then I have to make a hole to go out then a hole to go back in. it would be cleaner to mount the pump at the rear. I think my other idea to mount it were the line from the fuel cock connects to the steel line is a great place but i'm worried about noise from the pump.
          thanks Jay D.

Comment

Ashley, that is just so well thought out and beautiful plumbing on that system! I'll be following your lead with a backup pump. Hope you won't mind my picking your brain when I cross that bridge.

Thanks for sharing your ideas as well Alex. I see you guys both used the sun-roof switch. Nice idea!
            Thanks again guys!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Can I ask? What is wrong with the stock pump? I know when it sits for extended periods it requires extra cranking but why delete it all together?
              Mic
              1959A coupe

Comment

Damn Ashley, you do very nice work.

Tom
                Registry Number: Who Cares??

Comment

Guys,
                  Drive your cars more and you won't have the gas evaporating.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW" post=27615
                    Can I ask? What is wrong with the stock pump? I know when it sits for extended periods it requires extra cranking but why delete it all together?
                    In my opinion there is nothing at all wrong with the stock pump or having to crank the engine an extra 3 seconds. It's just that some people can't leave something or anything alone.

Example: my wife and I moved into a new house and all the walls were off white. Next thing I know painters are there and all the new walls, ceilings etc. are getting painted. I said "what's wrong with the walls the way they are". She looked at me like i had 2 heads and says " why don't you go work on your car"
                    Ashley Page

Comment

Originally posted by badsix" post=27596
                      Thanks MIC interesting reading. I'm still on the ropes with this I think would like to just run the electric pump only and mount it back by the trans. this should work as its gravity fed. then have a regulator in the engine compartment if necessary.

Ashley very nice looking pump system! I have a 58 A, so if I go out to the front to mount the pump then I have to make a hole to go out then a hole to go back in. it would be cleaner to mount the pump at the rear. I think my other idea to mount it were the line from the fuel cock connects to the steel line is a great place but i'm worried about noise from the pump.
                      thanks Jay D.

Thanks for the compliments. I was going to mount my pumps in the rear but changed my mind at the last minute. Because the pump will likely be mounted below the tank and always have positive head pressure I don't think it matters. I also was concerned about noise with the pump in the foot well.

For a do over of my installation I would get a better regulator. The one I used I have had for 40 years. When I found that overhaul kits were still available I decided to use it. Those newer Areomotive ones (and others like them) are nice and probably do a more precise job. They are also available with a bypass which is essential for precise pressure control (and pump life for some types of pumps).
                      Ashley Page

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=27608
                        Ashley, that is just so well thought out and beautiful plumbing on that system! I'll be following your lead with a backup pump. Hope you won't mind my picking your brain when I cross that bridge.

Thanks for sharing your ideas as well Alex. I see you guys both used the sun-roof switch. Nice idea!
                        Thanks again guys!
                        Justin
                        Thanks Justin. Nothing special about what I did. I followed the pluming schematic on the Pierburg site. The only thing I spent a little time finding were the check valves which I found on ebay. McMaster has the seamless tubing in the right diameter and wall - actually it comes out marginally bigger ID than stock and I didn't want to end up smaller.
                        Ashley Page

Comment

mic, i may be over thinking this, but if your going to use an elec. pump why not use it all the time and forget about the switches and extra manual pump. I had a manual pump on my other street rod it has a large 4 barrel it was crank crank crank to get enough fuel to fill the carb to fire the engine. I installed an elect. pump and now its just turn the key on wait 10 seconds and it starts on the second turn. I like it!
                          Jay D.

Comment

Originally posted by Don C" post=27617
                            Guys,
                            Drive your cars more and you won't have the gas evaporating.
                            Ah theirs almost nothing i like better than getting the rod out for a drive. but I live on the central Oregon coast and it rains a lot here. NOV. to May usually so its sometimes hard to get it out regularly and no i'm not driving it in the rain here.
                            Jay D.

Comment

[quote="AMP" post=27618]
                              In my opinion there is nothing at all wrong with the stock pump or having to crank the engine an extra 3 seconds. It's just that some people can't leave something or anything alone.

Example: my wife and I moved into a new house and all the walls were off white. Next thing I know painters are there and all the new walls, ceilings etc. are getting painted. I said "what's wrong with the walls the way they are". She looked at me like i had 2 heads and says " why don't you go work on your car"[/quote

Ashley, i'm one of those that, if it works i can make it work better
                              Jay D.

Comment

Working...
                              X