Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change interior Color from Black to red?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change interior Color from Black to red?

I have a matching number 1964 sc originals with black interior, but would like to have red interior. Will it have any effect on the originality and the value of the car that I mount it with red interior? The car is doing a full restoration and will stand as a new and original when it is finished, except for the color of The interior

Hello Kasper,
    Thank you for joining us and Welcome!

I don't think you're going to adversely affect the value of your car if you change the interior color per its Kardex. Keeping in mind of course that this change remains a standard Porsche offering during production and/or popular which red certainly was/is. If you were going with a white interior for example that might be a problem. I think it also hinges on what the color the exterior is. If the end result is Silver/Red then you certainly have a highly desirable combo and is the "classic" 356 look. If its Bali Blue and bright red the popularity could wane a bit.
    For practicality if your going to deviate from the Kardex the interior is the least harmful. Mainly because Its easy and relatively inexpensive to reverse. It may run the next owner 3K to reupholster it verses 15-20K to reshoot the car. What is the original exterior color BTW? Hope this helps and Welcome once again!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hello Justin
      The original Color is light ivory. And the reason why i Will chance, is that i have seen some light ivory with red interior, and it just looks a lot more exclusive and nice, then with the Black interior.

Comment

I agree, red with ivory is very nice and will really make your car "pop"! Nothing more mundane and basic than Black and white.
        Also, its your car and you're paying the bill so make yourself happy. I think its an enhancement Kardex of not.
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Kaspar,
          Red will look perfect with ivory. I have Meissen blue and red always people say they like the combination and Ivory will be the same.

Remember of course as I suppose they are already, the dash and door cappings should be ivory as well.

Always be happy with the interior you have got to be comfortable with that and you will be happy for sure.

Justin is right would not affect pricing that much especially if you get the correct upholstery from a known supplier. In fact I think more people would like to buy the car with Ivory and red if ever you had to sell it.

Roy

Comment

Roy, on T6 cars the "door capping" is covered with the same material as the door panel, not painted.
            Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Hi guys
              I am not sure what you mean, when you talk about dash and door capping?

Comment

They are talking about the actual dash pad itself and the door top garnish rails that "continue the line".
                Click image for larger version

Name:	staggparty2013008.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	45515
                356A cars and early 356B have the door garnish rails painted. These garnish rails are supposed to be color matched to the dash pad and the rest of the interior but I believe the factory began optionally painting these to match the exterior beginning with the B series. Maybe late A's but not sure when the cut-off began.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	staggparty2013168.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	45516
                Later 356C cars had the garnish rails upholstered rather than painted. Again not sure when this cut-off began. I'm sure Bruce or Jack could shed some light on this detail. Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks guys for the very good explanation. Will sure post more pictures and questions when i begin the restauration this vinter.

Comment

The right picture for every occasion. You're quite good Mr.Rio.

One thing tho; the Trusty Coupe, a late Dec.'56 A, had door caps painted the body color. I'm not certain, but I think this was common with T1 As.

As usual, I stand ready to be corrected.
                    ----------
                    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

I heard also some time ago that possibly T1 cars had the same body colour on the garnish rail as the upholstery but that would include the dash as well??

I had a 'C' Jack and now remember the black vinyl on the door cappings I thought at the time a previuos owner had done that!! Learn something every day!

Roy

Comment

I'd have to say ivory with a red interior is a great colour combo, but I would say that wouldn't I....

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/2-Welcome-Mat/20193-Hello.html

Paul

Comment

Actually, on cars with painted garnish rails, some were pained body color, and some were painted to match the upholstery color. Depended on the interior/exterior color combo.
                          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Originally posted by Lundegaard" post=20179
                            I have a matching number 1964 sc originals with black interior, but would like to have red interior. Will it have any effect on the originality and the value of the car that I mount it with red interior? The car is doing a full restoration and will stand as a new and original when it is finished, except for the color of The interior
                            Lundegaard,

Your 1964 356C/SC is a "T6" model chassis. If you wish for a Red interior to replace the original Black that too will look very nice.

As to the Cap rails question front & rear - the 356 B/C "T6" models covered them in the same vinyl as the rest of the interior. I'm sure your originals were Black vinyl caps - and your new Red interior should have Red vinyl caps as well.

All the best to you with your restoration.

Michael Doyle

ps: On certain occasions (by example) a T1 or T2 356A model would have the Cap rails painted the outside body color - most times when the interior was also a matching color to the outside ie. Aquamarine Blue paint with blue interior - and blue painted cap rails.

And the T5 356B models would do similar as above and at times do a lighter color interior with body color painted cap rails. ie. Ruby Red with Grey interior - and red painted cap rails.

Comment

Thanks guys! Like you S.J. I always stand ready to be corrected. After all these years you'd think I'd have learned by now that there are no absolutes with these cars.
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                              X