1955 Pre-A Bent Window Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Pre-A Bent Window Coupe

Looking for some advice from the experts.

A local gentleman is selling a '55 Pre-A, bent window, coupe, non-matching number engine, but with all the parts. The floors, longitudinals and battery box need to be replaced. Otherwise it is a pretty solid car. It's been sitting for 20 years in his dry barn. He doesn't want to sell it to any of the big names players like Gullwing, or list it on eBay, and wants to chose his buyer. He has not come up with an asking price, but knows how much they are worth...of course restored condition

Can anyone give me a reality check on Pre-A prices? Parts availability?

I'm planning to take a look at it tomorrow night.

Thanks.

John
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Sounds like an interesting car John. Photos of it would help a great deal in determining a fair price for it. Just on this most basic description I would say conservatively in 30-35K range. However it depends on just how rusty and how complete it is with its correct parts.
    Keep us posted on what you find out about it. Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin. I am going to see it this evening and will post some detailed pictures. Meanwhile...here are some pictures that the owner sent me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	44740

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	44741

Name:	Front2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	44742

Name:	Window.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	44743

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	44744
      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

WOW, that is a very nice find! Looks like its still on its original 16 inch wheels. Front bumper guards are wrong but I would definitely snag it if it were offered to me. Best of luck! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

what is the other car in the first pic?

Comment

The car looks real nice. It's been in dry storage for about 25 years. Before putting it away the floor was nicely removed leaving the perimeter flange. The body has essentially no rust...very solid metal throughout. The driver's outer longitudinals has been removed but the inside looks clean as does the heater pipe. The car is 99% complete, but does need to be redone. It has a non-matching engine.

Yup...those are 16" wheels, but the date stamp is off.

The other car in the barn is an Austin-Healey Mark I.

I can't really find a valuation for Pre-A's on the web, especially as a barn find needing repair. Another buyer said it could sell for $40-45K as is. Any thoughts?
            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Its a great project car, especially considering that its a Pre-A which are really hot these days. As you know most "project cars" being offered now look like the chassis I'm wrestling with at the moment. Considering how weak the dollar is, if it went up on ebay I believe several international buyers could easily push it north of 60K as cars like this really do not exist in the wetter climates and they are clamoring for 356's in this condition especially the early ones! The key here is that most of its parts are with it. If this was a bare shell it would be an entirely different story as trying to round up all the right parts for a Pre-a is a suicide mission in my opinion. Are you trying to buy it or just establish a price for the owner? Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, great insight to what these cars go for and how they are appreciating. Adam Wright pretty much said the same thing. I'd like to purchase the car for myself....a MUCH easier project than my project T-6. The seller has a few more people that he promised to show it to, so who knows.
                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Perhaps because you want to keep it for your self and drive it, the sell er may be more willing to offer it to you vs. the guy who want to flip it
                  *fingers crossed for you*

Comment

It will of course require a lot less metal work than your current project and as an investment car it will always be worth more money than your T6. However from a performance standard there will be no comparison to your T6. The suspension upgrades beginning in 1956 with the addition of more front wheel castor for example gives the later cars superior road manners over the pre-A; then there is the later transmission upgrade that your T6 has etc. etc. It just depends on what "floats your boat"; originality or performance? The trick with pre-A cars is that they are at their most valuable "bone stock correct" where as later cars could be worth more or as much as their counterpart as a hotrod if done properly and in good taste.
                    A realization a few years ago for me was that the "idea" of a pre-A car is far more romantic than the "reality" of a pre-A car.

Name:	930491.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	44777
                    It was my experience with this 51 coupe that brought it home for me. This was car done by my late friend Craig Stevenson and during my many visits to his shop I'd look this car over and he would share with me all the unique and very valuable details of this correct rare car. I found it to be all very interesting historical stuff and of course found the car to be very cool.
                    Well there was a local classic car show at the TPC that Craig had entered this car in and he asked if I'd like to tag along? Hell yes! The drive up was fun as he ground through each gear being a crash-box and all. However, once we arrived at the show being parked next to an old Ferrari V12 and a blown Willis coupe just down the way this car immediately lost all of its luster with me as I felt my testosterone level dropping. I was ready to sell and it wasn't even my car.
                    My point is that if you get off on early correct details and can live with 60HP then the world of pre-A is for you. However, if you're like me and you need your car to kick at least a little ass then the pre-a experience is going to be a big disappointment for you. Don't get me wrong I still like and admire the early stuff I just would never be satisfied owning it personally. I'll admire it from afar.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Fantastic story! You nicely and concisely summarized all my thoughts and doubts. I've had crash boxes before and they are fun in a unique sort of way, but after awhile they grate on you From an investment standpoint I can't go wrong though I'm into investing in cars. They're meant to be driven. A bit of a dilemma.
                      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks! All that aside John, Its a blue chip car and if you can snag it for 50K I would do it. Hopefully you'll get it for less though it sounds like one too many guys know about it at this point. The price of this car is only going to go up even If you all you ever do with it is look at it in your garage.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Great find John! Easy for me to say....keep 'em both. Best of both worlds and all.
                          Good luck!

Comment

From one 356 enthusiast to another... Buy it immediately John or remove the pics from this website and the Registry. Someone can snake the car out from underneath you. Once it's in your garage then post up a million of them.

Good luck!

BTW, I'd only replace what needs to and then drive it!
                            trevorcgates@gmail.com
                            Engine # P66909... are you out there
                            Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

John
                              Sorry, I can't speak to value. I gulp when I read that much for a car needing restoration. So, good luck with your decision. Is that a Healey nearby? 100-4?

We have driven our 55 PreA 1000's of miles. Yes, underpowered in the mountains, but fine in flatter country. I have Foamcar's S90 engine in it now and the last trip out west with that engine really made a difference. Also, 15" wheels make a big difference in handling. 55s do have the sway bar up front - first year. Long throw on the shifter, but you get used to it. Like Justin said, don't take it to a typical car show with street rods and classic American cars. Not many will look at it. Over the years I have been amazed at how many people talk to me at a gas station while filling up and know the year and had one back in the day.
                              Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X