Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who sells the best floor pan for my Early 57 356A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who sells the best floor pan for my Early 57 356A?

This is a cross post from my build thread, but I wanted more people to see this question and figure others have the same question.

My question is, who sells the most correct pans for an early 356? The front battery pan was not available as you may know so I had to customize (back date) it to match the early pan. I would appreciate those in the knows opinion on floors. I believe there are about three manufactures. Restoration Design,Dansk, the red ones sold by Zims (the name escapes me) and probably others? Obviously, RD has the best prices, but I do not know how correct their pans are. Please chime in. I may post a general thread about this as well.

Link to my 57 356A build thread
    Mark Erbesfield
    57 356A
    65 911
    68 912
    73 911S
    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Mark, I have limited experience with floor pans but so far I prefer the Simonsen panels. The embossments were all very crisp with nice detail. On the flip side I have heard that they are a bit "too" well defined if you can believe that but some really anal-retentive 356 guys actually can't accept it for the underside of their car. As a matter of fact I was talking with Steve Hogue several weeks ago and he was asked to soften all the corners and edges of the embossments on some simonsen's pans on concourse speedster restoration. He turned the job down as he had no time to spare but they ended up taking it to another panel fabricator. So what began as a 500.00 set of pans is probably a couple thousand once this procedure was finished.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5402513.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	43757
    Simonsen panels used on a '57 speedster several years ago.

Name:	5402514.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	43758
    I really like them. The forward recessed embossment at the toe-board bulk-head interlocked nicely. A completely different story with the pans I'm using on the current Coupster project now. A lot of hammering and heat to get those pans to fit up.

BTW: As a way of saying thanks for being a part of this site: I buy all of my common rust repair panels from Rusty Tubs. I have a really good business relationship with the owner so when you decide which panels you want to buy let me know and I'll get you the "good guy" price. Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, sorry for the delay in getting back. I am familiar with Rick and my buddy Scott stops by his shop quite often. Rick's shop is just down the road from our shop so if you could help me get some panels from him hat would be awesome. I saw he had advertised that he had some B & C pans for sale on Samba, but didn't see any A pans. I would appreciate any help. I compared the pans sold by RD to mine and they are different. The ones in the pic you show above are correct for me. The difference I noticed was the embossed section in the rear in the center is different. Mine is thin like the Simonsen shown in the pic. The RD is completely different.
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Yes, the Simonsen panels pictured above are for A-model. The pan pictured below is for B&C. Sure, I'll give him a call tomorrow. You just need the rear or the front as well?
        Justin

Name:	carrera1682.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	44568
        Justin Rio

Comment

I find Thorkel Simonsen to be the best floor pans. TK is really one of the old school guys to make parts and tooling. His shop is really well orginized and cleen it looks like no production is taken place at his shop. It is the way I would like to have my place to look like

Name:	image_2014-06-21.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	44577
          JOP

Comment

Agreed Simonsen makes the nicest pans.
            Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
            X