A word to the wise on forging VIN numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A word to the wise on forging VIN numbers

A recent topic of discussion on the registry that I wanted to share for possible input by guys over here.

Here's the link: http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/34364.html

The commitment of this felony was taken so lightly by the participants that I just had to make a comment on there. As I stated I was educated about the seriousness of this by my mentor who directly worked as part of the theft and recovery world for 20 years.

Also here is the example link I posted on there to try and relate just how serious it can get: http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012/07/30/felony-charges-for-man-accused-of-forging-the-vin-of-a-1966-corvette/

This previous owner is looking at 9 separate felony charges!
    Justin Rio

When I read the post over there when it began I couldn't really believe it because even though they are not changing numbers they are still altering the car. It is no different then me stamping a blank case to make a numbers matching car. The panel was replaced at some point with a blank so stamping it is dishonest because I'm sure someone will now claim it is original metal which in todays market makes it more valuable. How about taking a door, deck lid or hood & stamping it to match? No different in my book.
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Comment

That is exactly right Mic, officially the line has been crossed altering the car by welding in a fake number plate. Though its the original number to the car the owner is never legally allowed to put it back on. So its a possible future problem for him even long after he's sold the car. If the new owner for whatever reason gets snagged with it the trail will eventually lead back to him and a decision that was made.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	vin.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	27596
      Here's the "new" plate. I've blocked the outer numbers for his protection but I wanted to illustrate all the "red flags" this piece gives off. I only have limited knowledge (taught to me by Greg again)about the subject so you can imagine what it says to a trained officer. First problem is that it was punched in: "free style". The factory will use some sort of holding jig on the punches for a more consistent character placement. The spacing on either side of the "8" is off just a bit and this number was struck a couple more times than the rest. The spacing looks like he struck the 8 first and moved outward. The other tell tale is the 3 is out of alignment also calling back to a free hand punch job.(Though covered the first character is also misaligned) Another detail they will look for is "strike force" consistency across the numbers. On vins the factory will use a hydraulic press to make the impression so the depth and consistency is pretty much equal. A hammer blow(s) will of course not all be the same. The 3 has a valley around it where the others appear not to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis783.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	27597
      By contrast here is an undisturbed VIN. Level and equally spaced characters. Deep well defined numbers with equal amounts of pressure applied. These are just a few of the details that I am aware of that they look for. The most interesting thing is that owner was more concerned with the font style of the numbers (for authenticity)when in truth the real problem as far a law enforcement is concerned is the way they are ultimately stamped in. If you're going to engage in this activity it better be convincing to trained eyes!
      Justin Rio

Comment

I know I am in the minority but having a blank plate there on the car in question along with the story behind it & documentation would actually be a plus for me. How many guys would show you their # in a general conversation vs. a blank area if you had a good story behind it? What a great conversation pc. Now the story behind it will be lost as it must be hidden due to legal issues or monetary issues. It may actually de-value the car if it comes up at auction in the future.

So much "weight" is given to having numbers matching that it is actually more valuable to have a part in bad shape with the original # than having a perfect replacement part. I don't get it? Just drive it, have fun with it & don't worry about it. I think the next generation, say 35 yrs & under, will not put that much "weight" on numbers matching.
        Mic
        1959A coupe

Comment

Working...
        X