No announcement yet.

Helmut Pfiefhofer Porsche Automuseum in Gmund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mach 1 is 748 mph at 40 at degrees F at sea level. So 1.45 mach is about 1084 mph. But it also varies with altitude and temperature--but the real point is Jim Strawn is the fastest man without a plane!

Comment

Thanks Pat! Sounds like you know you're stuff too! That was very fast, its amazing he lived to tell about it. If this incident left him only with a slight limp he got off very lucky! By comparison what was terminal velocity achieved by that recent stratosphere dive?
      Justin

BTW the little car in corner was a messerschmitt. I believe Roy's brother had the exact car.
      Justin Rio

Comment

Yes, I confirm that is a Messerschmitt. However as the normal engines were from memory 175cc they did make a version called a 'Tiger' that was 500cc. I think the body was the same but seem to remember it had 4 wheels. Very valuable now though. Its possible the one in the photo might be a Tiger.

Roy

Comment

Justin,
          An addition. as you probably know Mach 1 is the Speed Of Sound that Chuck Yager broke on October 14, 1947 (?) in the Bell X-1. And as Pat said it varies with temperature and altitude. Jim has had both knees replaced, but after his rehab which took a year in 1960-61 he got back into flying the F8 Crusader and F4 Phamtom with a trip to Viet Nam 1968 or so. He used to play golf with us, but the legs aren't what they used to be.
          He likes Stollies however!!
          I keep some around here just for him!
          Dick

The Bell X-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	BellX-1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	11171

Comment

I am very familiar with that story Dick. I remember the documantary on the History channel years ago. I am glad to hear that your old friend is still holding together alright. Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,
              We ain't OLD, jus' got sum different 'periences than others!

I was at the shop yesterday PM and watched them replace a IMS bearing that has a 'ungood' failure rate plus a clutch assembly and a oil water separator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A.NewIMSOnCab.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	11274
              The guy that owns the 'liquid cooled' cab I have skiied with in the past and is a good friend of the guy who I play golf with and who crews for me in my sailboat when we race it.
              I was surprised to see the name on the Service Sheet.
              I am now qualified 'almost' to hold a flashlight in the right (almost) places for them.
              This is some of my 'post graduate training'!
              Stay 'Air Cooled'!
              Dick

Comment

Comment

Welcome to a great place for 356s, Echo7tango! You will enjoy the trip to Gmund and Gross Glockner.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, enjoy!
                    Moderation in all things - resistance is futile

Comment

Working...
                    X