The "hunt" for original speedster parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "hunt" for original speedster parts

This is a guide based on my own personal experience over the last 12 years in locating Original speedster specific components both online and through dealers as well as private individuals. I started my parts quest back in 2000 and boy am I glad I started way back then. While some items were always difficult find, I have to say that over the last 3-5 years the availablity of these parts has dried up even further. It is rare to see anything original being offered these days other than a stray speedster door, some ratty side curtains and maybe high bow top frame now and again. Thats about the extent of the public offerings today. Some of my experiences may go back several years but it only means what I found hard to find then is just even harder to find now. So if you see it for sale today and you need it; I would buy!! This post is referring strictly to factory original parts only. So if your building a "coupster" or resurrecting a dead speedster and only original parts will do here is my personal experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	540387.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	2119
    Here is the reason I started this quest in the first place. This is my 1956 "coupster" project. My mission was to locate as many original conversion parts as I could find. what a journey it was! Its pictured here with Original Doors, windshield frame, high-bow top and side-curtains.

Name:	540388.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	2120
    The windshield frame alone was a challenge unto itself!!
    Justin Rio

Body panels: Original speedster dash/front cowl assembly.

Name:	5404385.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	2122
    A true Speedster dash not a later convertible D/Roadster dash is going to be nearly impossible to find floating around loose. If you are lucky enough to find this assembly complete with cowl not to mention the windshield frame mounts expect to pay between 7,500-10,000. Provided you can find one! The later Roadster dashes are close but there are some subtle differences: A Roadster dash has the half-moon relief for the steering column similar to the bottom of a coupe/cab dash; the speedster does not. The roadster dash face overlaps the top cap on the seam joint. It is exactly the opposite on a speedster dash; the cap overlaps the face.(pictured above) Also the guage cluster face is more perpendicular on a speedster. The roadster guages tilt slightly upward toward the drivers line of sight. This is why a roadster wooden eyebrow is about a half-inch thicker then a speedster eye-brow. Also the "hump" on the cap for the guages is smoother and more flowing on a speedster. A roadster is much tighter and quicker as it makes the transition to the cowl. This is due to that forward angled guage cluster face. Not huge differences but there are a few. I would have to say that either dash version is a very tall order these days! To be continued...
    Thanks for reading! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, where did you find that Carrera tank? I see where someone is re-popping them, but even those are real pricey.
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Hi Mark, I bought that 4 years ago from a buy in Australia. He was or is making repop tanks and this original one was his pattern. Its got a big dent on the left side but its doesn't leak and is not rusty on the inside.

Name:	356538.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2375
        I kid around by saying I bought it when it was cheap. Just over 3K which is what they want for a repop now. If you're in the market for a repop buy the alloy one they now offer. You don't have to worry about future rust problems. The steel repros are not galvanized and will eventually have rust. Tank sealer is not really an option with these because of the internal baffles; too many crannies where rust can get a foot hold. Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Who sells the alloy ones, I have not seen them? I saw one repop sell on Evilbay a few months ago and it was lined. The seller said it was one of his samples so to speak, he is doing repops. I was very hesitant for the reasons you mentioned.
          Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Rienhold Plank in Italy was selling them.
            Justin Rio

Comment

Original Speedster body panels: rear skins and substructure

Name:	5401433.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2444
              Finding an intact original speedster rear clip like the example above is on the order of finding a complete dash assembly as far as rarity goes. During my hunt roughly seven years ago a complete clip was located but the guy was firm at 20K. Too rich for my blood and it was the only one I would find.

Name:	5402876.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	2446
              I did catch a break and was able to do deal for this very rough but original set of rear speedster body skins. It would be the last set I would come across. NOS speedster quarter panels would come up for sale every now and again but you dont see them anymore. Even then I could count the ones for sale on one hand. One piece that I never saw available was an NOS rear cowl section or a used one for that matter.

Name:	5402877.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	2445
              So I was stoked when this section came my way. The fenders were shot but the cowl was what I was mostly after. No substructer however.
              Justin Rio

Comment

Original Speedster substructure. Really another impossible find. If you insist on orginal metal the best you will probably do is a 356, 356A or 356BT5 cabriolet single engine grill compartment.

Name:	5403201.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	2448
                Pictured here is a 356A cabriolet chassis. The firewall, engine compartment closing panels even the decklid and rear clip (skin) will be the same part as a speedster. The cowl substructure under wall will of course have to exended further forward to meet the cowl mating flange. Very straight forward with a sheet of metal cut to shape.

Name:	5402260.jpg
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	2449
                Where the speedster inner panel is unique from the other open cars is the wheel house closing panels from the firewall foward to the door jamb. 1954 speedsters, all cabriolets and later roadsters have completely different panels here. The speedster panel (pictured above) Is more like an A coupe with the 3 ribs in it but has a hard turn at the top to meet the Speedster version quarter panel. My original coupe panels can definitely be messaged to work here.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,
                  You should have just come by Unobtanium HQ, we got em laying in the yard.

Name:	speedstr.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	5337

Name:	lotsm.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	5338

Comment

I know it Adam! I should have prophesied this thread as being aimed for the mortal consumers like myself who can only wait and hope for this stuff to go up for sale somewhere. Rare stuff like this still falls into you lap on occasion I'm sure! Ric was telling me a funny story a few weeks ago about a conversation he was having with you. You were telling him about a "carrera" you recently picked up for a good price. He said once he heard that he about shit! His mind went into immediate inventory sweep so He could close a deal with you on it. As your talk progressed he realized it was a 911 Carrera and his excitement fell off the cliff! Funny though you really had his interest peaked for a bit! I'm sure with all of your connections that it won't be long before you do actually score a 356 carrera or some other rare bird. Thanks again! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,

I didn't realise you had a speedster! Back in 1970 a guy in the UK Porsche club bought a 55 very cheap. Now considering it was only 15 years old it looked 60 years old. Back then they were all rusty but this rare RHD one he restored, well it looks restored but not at that time maybe not so perfectly as now days.

Below the story:

Name:	2012_1056speedsterRHDinfo007.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	6086

Name:	2012_1056speedsterRHDinfo008.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	6087

Name:	2012_1056speedsterRHDinfo009.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	6088

Name:	2012_1056speedsterRHDinfo010.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	6089

Roy

Comment

Justin-
                        I actually normally shy away from 4-cam stuff. Ironically, I was offered 3 4-cam engines yesterday, had my hands on them, but Carrera stuff is always over-priced and hard to move. So when we get it in as part of a bigger deal, I sell the hell out of it, but I don't normally buy it by itself.
                        Here was a load I sent to Ric a few years back. D doors, Speedster windshield and top frame, some green metal, and a Carrera II crank.

Name:	stuff1.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	6091

Name:	stuff2.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	6092

Comment

Hi Roy,
                          No, I don't actually own a speedster. I have a coupe that is being converted into a highly modified speedster but that is as close as I am going to come. Great article BTW. Thank you for sharing it a different time for sure! Justin

Hey Adam,
                          WOW! That stash of parts just made my heart skip a beat! How complete are the 4-cam engines? Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X