Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window corner for my 66 912

All
    Rear Window corner on a SWB early 902. I Have had this car since 1966. Pretty much all stock, with a front suspension mounts replaced in 1990.

Back in the late 80's I had a leak, right rear window lower corner. Used a little seam sealer and a hypodermic needle between the rubber and body/ glass to seal it up. Started with a medium bubble under the paint, right at the rain channel. Scraped it off, injected the rust with Formic Acid, left a scab looking but solid repair. Left it clear coat so I could watch it. Ugly but solid, first image is the before, the scab on the outside of the window, at the rain lip. Shown with the new replacement corner.

30 years later I bumped the defroster duct inside the engine compartment and it fell down, seal ring, duct and orange foam hose remnant. Looking up inside the deck lid hinge I have a rust hole. So now off to the garage for some cut and weld. Got a corner from Restoration
    Design . http://www.restoration-design.com/

Spent Friday morning cutting and grinding, below are the photos so far. Cut a big hole below the rail lip in the fender, thought I might have rust in the inner fender, but none there. All the rust was inside the cabin and through the fire wall, not not too bad after 50 years. Ground out all the rust, polished and treated the repair area. Hinge bracket and doubler are OK, damage was limited to the corner aft and outboard of the defrosted duct. A quick patch in the package shelf and then fit the new corner.

New section fits OK but the inside is not a sharp of a corner where the glass seal goes around. A little hammer and dolly should bring it in.
    Will post the fit and finish
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2016-12-25.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	83183

Name:	image_2016-12-25-2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	83184

Name:	image_2016-12-25-3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	83185

Name:	image_2016-12-25-4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	83186

Name:	image_2016-12-25-5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	83187
    Pushed around since 1966.

Looks like a pretty decent repair section John. Back in the old days that area would have been cut from a "parts car" though like the 356 those have all become viable restoration donors. The requirement of sharpening the bends or shoulder sounds extremely par for the course. Look forward to seeing how it turned out. Thanks for posting!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin

Yea made the inner shelf patches today, not hard, just hard to reach to weld. Hinge is OK so it's just cosmetics inside. Will pick at the surface rust and treat it before I paint the package shelf.

Comment

Inner package shelf patch back in. What a pain to weld, but it fits. Have to go off island tomorrow for seam sealer and filler, but ready to seal up the inside and fit the outer skin. Living an hour from the mainland is good until you need something special.

Name:	image_2016-12-27.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	83228
        Before pretty ugly

Name:	image_2016-12-27-2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	83229
        Shelf patch in not pretty but solid.

Name:	image_2016-12-27-3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	83230
        The repair panel could have been a little longer to pick up the original splice, but is better than making it from scratch, a little shrinker, bead roller and we will be good to go.

More in a couple days, thanks for watching

Comment

Wow, the cancer always goes deeper than you think. Your repair is coming along nicely John.
          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	image_2016-12-31-2.jpeg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	83299

Name:	image_2016-12-31-2.jpeg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	83299

Name:	image_2016-12-31.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	83298
            Coming along. Ruff fit is in.

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	83297

Comment

Justin

It was only in the package shelf. SWB car has no cross member so it was just interior shelf, nothing on the chassis or fender. After I got it open, I could have dropped the motor and gone after it from the bottom. But other than the big square inspection hole below the drip rail, the rest was not too bad.

Comment

John,

Nice repair. That piece would be tough to make if RD didn't reproduce it.

You said that you live an hour from the mainland, which sounds great. Where is that?

Cheers,

John
                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

It's north of Seattle. Also 40 minutes to a 4 lane highway, but we do have a new traffic light with all three colors now. Perfect 356 roads, except for the Tropper,

Comment

Name:	image_2017-01-07.jpeg
Views:	80
ID:	83487

Name:	image_2017-01-07-2.jpeg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	83488

Name:	image_2017-01-07-2.jpeg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	83488

Name:	image_2017-01-07.jpeg
Views:	80
ID:	83487
                    Progress

Comment

Well it's back together and painted. Turned out ok. The price of paint Glasuirt has gone crazy since I did this before. The repair was as expected, except it was just the parcel shelf inside, from the weep hole leaking in the window seal pinch weld. Could have gotten it from the engine side easier, but that is why hind sight is so good.

Did a bunch of touch up and ended up painting the other side while it was apart. Only a front fender and hood left. But that's for later this summer.

Now off for the interior refresh, have two Spinnybeck hides to cut and sew. Copying the Singer woven leather on the seats and dash. Should be unique
                      Now wet sand and polish

Name:	image_2017-02-07.jpeg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	84557

Name:	image_2017-02-07-2.jpeg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	84558

Comment

Finished. Shop with a Wood stove and no paint booth, snow outside, but 80 deg in the shop. Works fine for an Old Guy. Much better that the Earl Schibe 29.95 paint jobs I threw on the thoes T1 & T2 coupes in the 60s

Name:	image_2017-02-07-4.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	84561

Name:	image_2017-02-07-3.jpeg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	84560

Comment

Hey John,

Congratulations on wrapping up that repair and getting her back in paint so quickly. Is that color considered a 356 Bali Blue or did they change the shade for the 901 series? Great job on it!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	image_2017-02-08.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	84600
                            JR

It's 6603 Golf Blue, only available a couple years. 25 years ago is was ACE Hardware, spray can, harbor blue, was a perfect match.

Comment

912 progresses. Blue part is back on, now the interior. Spinnybeck hides are becoming parts. Dash is repainted, doors and package shelf cards made. Probably the end of the month it will be home again.

Name:	image_2017-03-16-5.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	86262
                              Target interior design, without the grommets. Using Singer Vehicle Design 911s as a guide, and materials source. After the hide and carpet prices, I know why their cars ar $400K.

Name:	image_2017-03-16-9.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	86263
                              Removed the horsehair sounding and found some minor interior rust, I had not anticipated, but the water that rusted the shelf had to go some where.

Name:	image_2017-03-16-10.jpeg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	86264
                              Dynamat on the rear shelf, this will be covered with Dynapad, this brings the thickness back close to original thickness. Then the shelf card with the leather. It's just a process.

Name:	image_2017-03-16-11.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	86265
                              Dash was bead blasted repainted and the original padding coated with glass rosin before foam and leather. The green will be the woven and the pad smooth, should be unique for a 912.

Name:	image_2017-03-16-12.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	86266

Comment

Working...
                              X