Rats, mice, snakes, and a '72 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rats, mice, snakes, and a '72 911

Along the lines of Justin's "abandoned" thread, thought some might enjoy my weekend with the '72. I parked this old car out at my place about 15 years ago. Was a tired old driver, and not worth much back then. Motor was barely moving any air, and leaving a blue haze wherever you travelled. So out came the motor. It got rebuilt, but somehow I just never had the time or urge to re-install it. Now with the value of "longhoods" (that seems to be the new term, but I never called them that)going through the roof, I thought it might be in my financial interests to have a look at the old '72T. I posted a feeler out on the Pelican last week, and was deluged with interest.

I took the first steps this weekend to evaluate the old '72. Took me half of Saturday to chop the weeds and brush away from it. First time I'd looked inside it in several years and the initial look wasn't good. Wood rats had moved in and made an extensive home of it. I almost gave up right then and there. They line their nests with cholla thorns. One hell of a mess! But I persisted, put some tires on it that held air, and tried to move it. To my surprise, It rolled easily after releasing the handbrake (got my first handful of cholla in the process). Rolled it around to the front and opened it up to let it air out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01321.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	44123

Name:	DSC01297.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	44124

Sunday I started cleaning it out. A tedious and unpleasant job, and many times I scolded myself for letting the car get like this (out of sight out of mind I guess). The worst is over now, but it will still go on for a while. In the process I got some inspection. As I expected the perishable stuff (carpets, upholstery, rubber) is completely shot. But underneath it all it was in perfect shape. Floors are still great. It will all clean up fine. Didn't get a look at the rear seat or parcel shelf area yet, but given what I've seen so far, I think all that probably survived well also. The factory sport seats (!) will need thorough refurbishing of course, but operated fine and the bases had no corrosion.

Name:	DSC01319.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	44125

Then I moved up to the front compartment. No rats, but mice had built a nest behind the fuel tank. Less painful to remove than the rat's nest, but smelled worse. Found an obvious rust-thru on the fuel tank support on the passenger side by the battery. Battery acid, and probably a little water got in there sometime. From the bottom all looks well around the suspension pan, but at least that one area will need attention. Everything else looked pretty good. The front lip on the front bulkhead that holds the rubber body/bumper seal is still intact, which I always consider a good sign. At least so far, I have not seen any sign of chewed wiring, which was my biggest worry.

Name:	DSC01318.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	44126

Then I took look inside the smugglers box. It contained the mummified remains of a 4' bullsnake. He was all wrapped up around the AC stuff. I suspect he was enjoying life in his Stuttgart smorgasborg, ate one mouse too many, and got trapped by his own fat belly. After much finagling, I was able to remove him (in pieces). Finished up the evening with one more good vacuuming and blowing out, and moved the car into my workshop. So the process is started. I'll keep cleaning and inspecting. Maybe next weekend I'll dig the motor out from under my bench, and get the transmission down out of the loft.

Name:	DSC01314.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	44127

So here it is, rodent free and moved inside my shop. Its still a really good old car. Straight, solid, and generally un-screwed with. A shame I've let it sit out there for so long. But if nothing else, the Pelicanite requests for pictures encouraged me to get off my butt and do something with it.

Name:	DSC01332.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	44128

Name:	DSC01334.JPG
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	44129

Name:	DSC01330.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	44130

Now if I just don't die from hantavirus, or come down with the bubonic plague!

Take care,
    DG

Ah, almost forgot the "before" photos of the rats nests!

Name:	DSC01299.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	44132

Name:	DSC01300.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	44133

Name:	DSC01313.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	44134

I feel so bad for evicting them from their homes.

Like hell I do!

DG

Comment

Hey David,

Thanks for posting your latest adventure! Its amazing just how much crap those little guys can pack away isn't it? That old car was their luxury mansion out in the country. You're so right you must take caution as not to inhale the fine dust or particulates from the droppings; you just never know. Snakes creep me out and dealing with that old mummified Bull snake would be a very difficult. Was he full of mice remains when you broke him apart? He seemed to be very tangled up in there..

Really nice car BTW! The body looks cherry and sport seats to boot! I believe '72 is one of the more sought after models for that one year only oil filler in the rear quarter that everyone was filling up with gasoline back in the day. Are you selling this finance your other projects? After these photos I suspect you already have a buyer or two; snake or not. Cool car! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=19592
        I believe '72 is one of the more sought after models for that one year only oil filler in the rear quarter that everyone was filling up with gasoline back in the day. Justin
        Don't forget the 959
        Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

DG,

Great pictures. The car looks better than a lot of others out there. Your weather preserved it pretty well. I bet it would sell quickly.

Thanks for sharing.

John
          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks Justin. I thought this might amuse you, since you're a desert dweller too. Yeah, those rats can sure bring in lot of stuff! Darned industrious little monsters. In a way I'd rather have the rats. Their nests are dry and don't seem to corrode things the way mouse nests do. Maybe they go outdoors to pee?

Not selling because I have to, or to finance the other projects. Just was bugging me that it was sitting out there un-loved. You are right about the '72 being desirable. That goofy little oil-filler door seems to mean the world to some people (Jack, I'm sure that's why the 959 is so desirable too!). I posted on the Pelican to trade it for something newer and running. Have had several offers already for pretty decent driver SC's and Carreras. One of those can be for the wife to drive and enjoy (she cares about things like AC and music).

John, yeah, back east this car would have been complete junk by now. Single digit humidity sure does make 'em last. There is one small soft spot on the rt. side fuel tank support, right next to the battery. The rest of it is just like the day it was built. And I don't believe there is a lick of filler anywhere on it either. The Pelican guys went nuts for it when I posted. Spent two days replying to the PM's, then just quit taking any new ones.

I should keep it I suppose. Never get a chance to get another one. But realistically I need to simplify my life. Too many projects, and I feel spread too thin. I'm only 51, but I don't have the energy I used to. Will be eligible to retire in just 7 years. Don't know if I will or not then, but if I do, I want to go someplace different in the world. At that point I only want to take nice running cars with me. I can't even imagine trying to move parts and projects the way they are now!

As always, thanks for ABCGT and all you do,
            DG

Oh, and yeah, that snake was all wrapped up in there! Sorry, but I didn't bother to inspect him closely for mice. Part of him was going down the steering gear to the front crossmember, and that's where I think he gut stuck, fitting past the steering gear into the smugglers box. Fortunately snakes never bothered me.

Comment

I would like to buy that car and bring it to Scotland to restore it.Ive done a few before but this one would be the last and the best(Id use my pension money).Guess Im dreaming?

Comment

Hi Jock,
                Well, it is sold, and going to Europe, though I am still waiting on payment......

I think it will come out allright in the end.

It will be a very nice car to restore I think. Got all the right stuff. You guys in places like Scotland probably couldn't believe how little rust there can be in a Porsche from the desert. On the other hand, replacing all the perishable stuff can be expensive. If its plastic, fabric, or rubber that desert sun has killed it!

Take care,
                DG

Comment

Hello Duncan,

Thanks for joining us and Welcome!!!! If you like looking at dry desert sun-bleached cars here are two more I just took photos of though not near as nice as David's car.

Name:	fathersstash041.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	47631
                  '69 911E wrecked way back in 71 or 72. bent to shit but rust free. Still have the complete #'s matching motor.

Name:	fathersstash111.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	47632
                  '68 912
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks for the reply,I could pay you tomorrow If the deal should fall through for what ever reason please let me know.I was really looking forward to a trip the states.All the best,Duncan

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Justin,Ive been following your posts on your speedster and elsewhere.Ive just sold a 1991 964 turbo and I just HAVE to get another longhood to work on.Im not adverse to some rust but I wouldnt want to be replacing floors.If anyone can help in my search I would be very grateful.

Comment

But Jock, you didn't ask what I wanted for the car.

One meeellliionnn dollahs....bwahahahahah.

If you are seriously interested, e-mail me directly and I will tell you what's going on with the car.

Comment

Hi,I sent you a mail but it bounced back.Is that the correct address?Duncan

Comment

Yep, that's my correct address. Probably my office IT guys figure its good policy to just routinely exclude Scotsmen That strange habit they have of wearing skirts you know.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
                            DG

Comment

An update on the old '72. I found a good new owner for the car, who I think will give it a caring home. But, In the process of cleaning and fixing, I found a nasty rust problem. While all looked perfect from the outside, the rear seats had turned to red powder. There is a heavy formed rubber sound deadening mat in this area. Apparently water was seeping in the rear window, probably when it snowed and sat on the car slowly melting, and getting under this mat. Everything else stayed dry, or would dry out soon afterwards, but under the rubber mat it was 100% humidity. Anyway, since I had promoted it as a rust free car, I felt obligated to fix this before sending it on its way.

The problem on the passenger's side.

Name:	DSC01776.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	50531

The fix. New seat pans from RD. While I've not always been happy with the fit and finish of RD panels, these pans are nice. They fit very well.

Name:	DSC01774.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	50532

They didn't come with the wire loom straps, or the seat belt anchor. Made new straps from strips cut from the oversize edge of the RD panel, and harvested the seat belt anchor and brake pipe hanger from the old panel. Being on the exterior of the car, the seat belt anchor and brake pipe hanger were in perfect shape. Careful measurement of the old panel allowed placement of the straps and anchor, and the spot welder sealed the deal.

Name:	DSC01781.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	50533

Fitting of the new seat pan to the car. The center "hump" was in fine shape, so opted to leave it and mate the new panel to it. Could have gone either way, but liked leaving as much good original metal as possible. The blotchy appearance is a combination of old silver paint, the brownish glue for the rubber mat, surface rust, and galvanize. This area in a '72 is definitely galvanized metal.

Name:	DSC01782.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	50534

New panel welded in place. Plug welds along the outer flange, and a long butt weld with the center "hump". Have yet to do the seam with the rear wall. Probably get on that tonight. This piece Really fit very nice. Once all the welds are dressed, and its all clean and painted, this will be a very nice repair.

Name:	DSC01796.JPG
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	50535

My TIG seam. Welding on the galvanize was different. There is a subtle difference in how the bead flows into RD's galvalume and Porsche's Theissen steel. It would occasionally want to splutter, so I had to go slow. I will have to grind this. It is soft and would hammer flat in an instant, and be neat and clean, but for this panel it is just not possible to reach behind it with a dolly.

Name:	DSC01798.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	50537

Next I will tackle the driver's side. The rust on this side was not quite as extensive, but the repair will be identical.

Name:	DSC01800.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	50536

Hopefully will get this project wrapped up soon. No progress on the Swiss Miss until the '72 is done and gone.

Take care,
                              DG

Comment

Working...
                              X