X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG58INNM
    replied
    Justin,
    I love these pictures of your Dad's old '66. Cool car. And wow, even still has center lube cams! Haven't seen any of those in a long time. If you need a head or two, let me know. Pretty sure I've got a few of those early 2.0 heads kicking around out in the shed somewhere. I like that '67 SWT too. neat car!
    DG

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    8/20/13
    Yesterday I made the two-hour trip out to my parents old place to round-up and rescue the original engine and components to this car. While this stuff still belongs to him, one day it will eventually end up being mine but I hope not too soon! Realistically at 75 he will never get around to working on his car again and he's at a point now where he doesn't care enough to take steps to safeguard it. So, I took it upon myself to begin protecting what's left from the elements and the wolves! The place has been abandoned for better than 15 years now. We had a good run and our old neighbor watches as much as she can but in the last several years there has been a series of break-ins. So even though I really don't have room for this stuff I am finding a place because I would kick myself squarely in the ass when the day came that this too got swiped!

Click image for larger version

Name:	old66035.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	25397
    Luckily I was able to find and locate ALL the basic parts to this motor but my main objective was to get that block! This is the Number's matching motor to this car!

Name:	old66037.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	25398
    All the basic items are the original to this motor. three of the heads are date correct but the last two are not. The missing ones may have been used in the motor that is in the car now. I had already washed the smaller components off by this photo but everything looked like that block when I brought it in.

Name:	old66038.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	25399
    Original transmission I grabbed several months ago.

Name:	old66039.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	25400
    The cam towers, chain boxes etc. all had the correct '65 date code on them. Again I was so relieved to see this stuff still there!

Name:	old66036.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	25401
    The Wolves: during one of the break-ins the original triple throat solex's were were taken along with another spare pair of webers. The police officer taking the report said it was most likely drug addict tweekers. "they love things like carburators and were most likely already taken apart on their living room table". Anyway they left the airbox and I found the old cross linkage bar and the pumps. He put webers on it in the early 70's and I'll run those but I wanted the old correct parts for completion so I grabbed what was left.

Name:	old66034.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	25402
    The elements: found a lot of Misc. hardware but was full of blow sand and beginning to rust. Acid cleaning them here.

Name:	old66040.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	25403
    I remember this old manual as a kid. Ruined by water damage. Another item lost or being lost to exposure and neglect.

Name:	dads66001.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	25404
    The rest of this motor like the super early version fan shroud etc. is on the engine currently in the car which happens to be the numbers matching motor and transmission to that 67 soft window targa. After my dad gave up on it, it became his "parts car". (bumper trim too are from it) Anyway this is where it will rest for a while longer. Will go back for more but I'm just relieved the original drive train is safe at my shop now. Thanks for reading this! Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Great Photo Erik! With that many Porsche's I'm sure everyone in town knew who you guys were.. Thanks for sharing it! Justin

Leave a comment:

• Erik H
    replied
    Found this one last night. Dad bought this 911S from a local guy. He wouldn't let me drive it without him in the car. It was a great car. Black with red leather and a super sound system. I think he later traded the 911 for 2 356's and a bunch of parts. The Blue car is 83843(Manfred) and the silver one is 84112 (Ferdinand), which is the one I have. I can see at the time it had Torque Thrust wheels with the spinners that later ended up on"my" Porsche, a 57 coupe. The guy in the picture is my Dad, who was the COOLEST DAD IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Name:	P6290428.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	22976

Leave a comment:

• Erik H
    replied
    My Dad's friend Les Blumberg had a 66 just like that. He used to pay me $25 to detail it when I was a kid. He would do a treffen every 3 or 4 years and get a new car. he's 75 now and just got a new Panamera.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	old66007.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	22960
    Another pre-Fuch alloys. Riverside raceway once again.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	old66016.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	22577
    This shot taken in 1972 at my parents place. Thats my dads brother good ole Uncle David and his first wife. He's the one who owned the Soft window Targa my parents bought and also the guy who owned that '62 Corvette in 1980 that made such a huge impression on me.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	old66026.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	22460
    Don't know where this was taken or who's black 911 that was but my father wanted a shot of them together...

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Thank you Erik! Yes, the same wheels are still on it and can be seen in those recent pics on page 1. My Dad blacked the backgrounds out in the mid 70's. Still have the original Steel wheels and caps for it too. Oh god who knows when anything will happen with this car. My plate so full I can't even think about that. It needs everything! Thanks again! Justin

Name:	old66020.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	22071
    Here it is shortly after its new rolling stock was mounted. Probably 1971.

Leave a comment:

• Erik H
    replied
    AWESOME! I have 2 questions. 1) Are they still on the car? 2) When are you gonna get it back on the road? Erik

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Christmas 1970
    My mother surprised my dad with a brand new set of 5.5X15 Fuchs she purchased from Vasek Polak.

Name:	old66031.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	21990
    Taken at thier first apartment they had together. What a nice thoughtful wife she was...

Name:	old66028.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	21991
    This Christmas still very much stands out in my fathers memory.

Leave a comment:

• Erik H
    replied
    Priceless.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    A trip to the Sequoia National park late 1970

Name:	old66008.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	21913
    My Mother sitting in the passenger seat.

Name:	old66010.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	21914
    tunnel log..

Name:	old66018.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	21915
    Pregnant with me at the time...

Name:	old66021.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	21916
    A note she wrote on the back many years ago...
    Thanks for stopping by! Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Erik's got me going again on digitizing old photos. Here is a series dated July 1969. A couple of years after aquiring this car something major happened to the motor requiring removal. (I'll have to ask him what the problem was again) At the time my Dad knew nothing about these engines but after getting zapped with expensive repair bills he took it upon himself to buy several manuals, learn and do all the repairs shortly there after.

Name:	old66003.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	21907
    The car up on blocks at his fathers trailer park where he lived in San Diego at the time. The hired mechanic's VW bus parked off to the left here.

Name:	old66032.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	21911

Name:	old66005.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	21910
    Almost in and ready to head back to the mechinc's shop for the repairs....

Name:	old66006.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	21908
    Motor delivered back from repairs and mated togther once more with its trans. You can see the five quarts of Valvoline off to the side there for fire-up time.

Name:	old66004.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	21909
    Old aircooled motor mechanic hired to do the job...

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	786_2013-07-01.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	21547
    This shot was taken in 1968. my Dad's in his early 30's here and probably only had this car for a few months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X