Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Brown
    replied
    Justin..........the more I follow this great story of this family car, the more I can`t believe you`re selling it. Take a deep breath my son.....and think it over! There`s gotta be a way to justify keeping this car in the family......is there anything we can do to help?.....Bill

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Registration and service records.

Click image for larger version

Name:	911stash072.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	87930
    Original Jacket

Name:	911stash073.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	87931

Name:	911stash074.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	87932
    The service book proves to have the most valuable information.

Name:	911stash075.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	87933
    For better or worse my parents where pack rats so there is some good paperwork to sift through.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	911stash012.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	87924
    With access to the inside I could finally get the trunk open to record the VIN #. Thats the OG carpet trunk liner BTW. The wedge golf-club hood prop has always been in there. Early 1970's at least.

Name:	911stash014.JPG
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	87925
    This car is chassis # 302 363. I normally see the riveted data plate down low by the latch reciever on all the 911's I've ever looked at. I found it very weird to find it mounted above the chassis stamping.

Name:	911stash035.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	87926
    The original steel wheels I found date coded August of 1965

Name:	911stash036.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	87927
    Applying my 356 experience it became clear it must have been built in late 1965 which would also account for the unique data plate location.

Name:	aaaa44925946.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	87928
    I received confirmation from my buddy later that evening that in fact is part of the first tear of model year 1966 cars built in late 1965. The green arrow highlights its position as 1,027 cars away from the cut-off point and 363 cars from being a 1965 model. Just missed it. The paper work I found in the glove compartment would shed additional light. That next.
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    4/27/17
    Barn finding in our own "barn"

Set today aside to go out and begin prepping the car and to get the motor and chassis # so I could determine exactly when in '66 it was built and sold. As this was our daily driver through the 70's and 80's the targa unfortunately became the "Parts Car" to keep it going so there are several things I need to switch before it sells. The transmission, steering wheel and bumperetts/decos immediately come to mind.

Name:	911stash001.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	87906
    To get the ID #'s meant getting inside first. The car has been locked for at least 20 years and the tumblers where frozen. It took some time but I eventually got the left side to open first but as you can see there just isn't room to get in. Had to get the right side to open and not twist the key off in there while I did it.

Name:	911stash002.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	87907
    Quick peek inside; two decades of silt and blow sand build up. Leather horn button cover is only a shadow of its former self allowing the padding to fall free.

Name:	911stash003.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	87908
    Pretty cripsy back here too but the trade off is a dry rust free chassis and body. I'd take that any day of the week.

Name:	911stash004.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	87909
    Finally got the right side to open up.

Name:	911stash005.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	87910
    Extremely dusty in here. My father installed those knarly speakers and the 8-track player back in '78. The Rumors album by Fleetwood Mac and the Saturday Night fever sound track are indelibly etch in my mind because of that old set up in there. The seats are not correct as they were Pomona swap meet specials but again we do have the original and correct seats for it and the original wood wheel though it desperately needs restoration. So it matches the rest of the car.

Name:	911stash006.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	87911
    Original headliner very tired as well.

Name:	911stash008.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	87912
    Found one item I came for; the original service manual and records still in the old burgandy dust cover. Another item I remember from childhood. I'll post the Vin and what I found insde next. Here's a hint; this car is a very early '66.

Thanks for looking!
    Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	dads66002.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	87881
    There has been a few new developments so it looks like will be selling this old girl. I hope we find her a good home after 50 years of being in our family.

Leave a comment:

• Tony G
    replied
    Man Justin, talk about Memory Lane! I am glad I found this post, I really enjoyed it.
    Tony

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	dads66008.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	65450
    Another old shot from 1974. My very first dog, a beautiful German Shepard. You can see my dad and good 'ole Uncle Bob Hagen having yet another look under the deck lid of his 911. Bob was an avid SCCA Racecar driver in the 60's and campaigned a Sunbeam Tiger and a Bug-eyed Sprite. He was a terminal gearhead like my Dad so whenever they got together this is where you'd always find these guys. There were several stories through these years where before the wives knew what was going on these two would have the motor out of the car. As you might have guessed they were none to happy about it. You can also my current coupe project to the right: motorless and sitting on four flat tires off to the side of the yard. Except for about maybe 3 months in '79 this is the state of condition it existed in. Thanks for looking! Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    We had an olds, a Buick, a Fury to name a few as well. It sounds like we are about the same vintage if your wardrobe looked anything like mine. Good catch on the line of trees, they were intended to buffer the prevailing Westerly winds. Lots a parallels with us for sure.
    Thanks David!

Name:	old66055.JPG
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	64480

Name:	old66058.JPG
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	64481
    The above shots were taken by my father probably about 1981 or '82. He'd wash and detail the car in the morning before my mother would take it to work. Note the Black electrical tape bumper trim.

Name:	old66083.JPG
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	64482
    There's my mom is just getting ready to head out. This car was her daily driver for almost 10 years. It was a 60 mile round trip so this car had seen some considerable mileage through the 70's and 80's. She worked for Alpha-Beta Grocery during this time and eventually moved up from cashier to management. She was one of the "blue coats" as they'd call them. We were so proud. Thanks for looking!
    Justin

Leave a comment:

• DG58INNM
    replied
    Justin,
    Love these old photos! That could almost be me and my mom standing there, but a few years earlier, maybe about 1975. Except that my Dad only had Fords and Oldsmobiles then

I think I had that same coat. The same shoes. And the same jeans (always with worn knees). The line of junipers looks just like a typical West Texas shelterbelt too. Thanks for the nostalgia.

Take care,
    DG

Leave a comment:

• Manolin
    replied
    concourse I suppose?

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	dads66009.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	64338
    Here's another from about 1980. (hate when photos don't have a date on them) Me and my mother probably just getting ready to leave on one of our road trips to Utah to visit family. My dad had installed an 8-track player in the car and two albums in particular would get played over and over again. The Rumors album by Fleetwood Mac and the Saturday night fever soundtrack. They are both very nostalgic to me now.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Hard to say I've seen the prices of these car vary quite a bit especially at auction.

Here's two more I just had digitized.

Name:	old66080.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	61774
    One of our road trips out to see my grandparents out in quartzite AZ. during one of the winter months in 1987.

Name:	old66079.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	61775
    My mother with her father.
    Thanks for looking!
    Justin

Leave a comment:

• 356JAGER
    replied
    I don't believe I've ever seen a 912 over 55 K or thereabouts, and that's the outlier and a total restoration on a matching #s car. High value in the latest Excellence for an excellent 912 Targa is $ 36 K. 911's are a different story for now, but as has always occurred, what goes up, must come down. I just sold this one for right at high market, non matching number car, but a most excellent driver.
    Cheers,
    Joel

Name:	NINEpes.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	61754

Leave a comment:

• GT3
    replied
    A clean and correct 65/66 912 runs about 75K and a similar 911 100K+.
    Later 1967 S-models go up from there.

Leave a comment:

• Ryles
    replied
    What are these worth today? Real world value, not the one hit wonder ebay auction. With all of the flooding in Texas, a 65 and a 66 are possibly up for sale. It would take an hour or so to get past Fayetteville to even see them.
    He's not so much an internet guy, but with most folks in Austin, we know who is who and where the cars are. These are just unrestored but good cars, and the pictures of this red car looked like one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X