Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in North Carolina

Hello all,

I brought home a 58 T2 a couple of months ago, and am just starting to dig into the restoration process. The car is in really rough shape, but everything seems to be there for the most part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rightfront.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	67782

This was a car that my dad had purchased many years ago, and we had talked about working on together for as long as I can remember. He passed away before he got a chance to work on it, so I am taking up the mantle to restore the car in his name.

I am a newbie to restoration, so I am sure I will have more questions than answers on this forum, but I have been lurking in the background as a guest for awhile and see that this is one of the best sources of knowledge out there. I am amazed at the quick responses and the depth of knowledge on this forum. If anyone has recommendations for media blasting and/or body shops in Raleigh, NC, I am all ears.

I hope to be able to contribute to the value of this forum some day as well. I will apologize in advance for stupid questions, and will listen to and appreciate (even if I don't take it, sorry) all advice.

Thank you in advance for all your support.

Chris

Cool story, welcome to the site.
    ~Byron

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Mike
      Lomita, CA
      '63 B coupe
      Mike
      '63 B coupe

Comment

Welcome. Don't worry, there is no stupid questions. Sounds like a cool car. First words of advice. When taking it apart don't throw anything away no matter how bad it looks. You may need it for reference someday. What is the serial #? Mine is 106106 built in Dec. 58'.
        Mic
        1959A coupe

Comment

Chris,

Welcome along. Your dad will be along side you on this project. As already said never throw any part away, photograph every single section of the car that you can. Memory plays strange things sometimes and you will need references as well as some good books on how to restore.

This site will show you more than any book I ever read on body and chassis restoration, it will help you! When you get a chance post some photos and you will get comments. The factory date stamped many items on the car or stamped the last 3 digits of the chassis number.

Start a diary on the work in progress and a record of all purchases.

Best of luck and take it step by step.

Roy

Comment

Hello Chris,
            Thank you for joining us and Welcome! That's a nice project car with an equally nice background story to go with it however, it is too bad about your father. I'm in a somewhat similar situation of trying to complete my fathers car before he passes. The guys here are always good for advice so don't ever worry about a question you might have. They are spot on BTW; as you dismantle your car label and bag All the hardware. You can really get lost in the excitement of taking the car apart and think nothing of those tiny screws that once held a piece of trim. It really doesn't matter at all... until you begin putting the car back together. Been there and done that. Best of luck on this project and I hope She's not too rusty once you break it down.
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

G'day Chris, welcome aboard. Nice machine, it looks like it will be a fun journey.

As well as bagging and labelling ALL of your bits (which I think I have done adequately - won't know until it's reassembly time) the thin I think I may regret later on is thorough notes and instructions to myself for later on. There are some things where I reckon I'm going to be scratching my head and cursing myself for not taking the time to measure, note and draw.

I have taken a butt-load (technical restorations term) of photos with my phone, though, so maybe that will make up for it...? We will see.

I reckon the Roland book is worth the money.

No such thing as a dumb question - either that or I've asked them all anyway.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to your tear-down!

Jonesy

Comment

Chris,

Never noticed the photo of your car when I last replied. Strange its a Meissen Blue with red vinyl upholstery car the same as mine.

Its a great colour combo or I think it is! Been with me now for approaching 47 years.

I attach a photo or two.

Name:	resizebackseats.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	67839

Name:	resizefrontbadge.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	67840

Name:	resizeporsche4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	67841

Name:	rsz_2015_1123_annabelle_356insurance_021.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	67842

Roy

Comment

Thank you all for your comments and support. I appreciate all the tips so far!

@Jonesy- I think I am a day late on your comment regarding the notes. I started to tear down the interior this weekend and I also took a butt-load of pictures, thinking that was good enough to remind me how things went. As I was cataloging them this morning, I was having trouble remembering what the picture was showing. ha ha. I think I will need to also start a journal and take measurements as well, as you suggested.

@Roy- B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L car. Wow! What year is that? It looks like an A, like mine. The original color on mine is actually Aquamarine, but I do really like this combo too. Yours seems to have an oatmeal carpet, is that correct? Mine has all red throughout. It's a bit overkill at the moment, but I think the carpet is in sufficient condition that I will try to keep it.

I will start another thread in the Projects forum to track the project status, so I am not mucking up this welcome section.

Thanks again all for the great support already.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

I will look for your new resto thread but in answer to your question yes my car is an early 1959 356A T2.

The blue of your car does seem a little darker than mine but photos are difficult sometimes to get right. If your car has the small rectangular identification on the front door hinge cover along with the chassis number plate the small one ( farbton nr )shows a 3 digit number mine is 703 for meissen blue. The 1956 cars had 607 for Aquamarine blue metallic then in 1957-9 it changed 707 which seems non metallic.

The oatmeal carpet like the red upholstery on my car is the original. It has wear but not bad enough to ever change. Your red carpet might not be original the piping looks different but who knows.

Will follow your work with interest Chris on your new thread.

Link for the colours: http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/paintsamples.php

Roy

Comment

Chris

Make at trip up to Hickory NC., and visit Tim Herman's. It's well worth the drive. He has several cars in work and you can see what the best restoration shop in e country does, and what you are in for. He has a seven year waiting list, but he knows the sources and will give you good advice. He probably knows more that anyone close.

http://carreramotorsport.com/index.html

Name:	image_2015-10-05.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	67909

John Brooks
                      Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Chris,
                        It seems like you'll gets lots of advice here.
                        Dick Pitman Up the road in Chester, VA
                        My car 88971 was restored by Lufteknic, http://www.lufteknic.com/, here in Richmond.
                        I try to help out each week as I can.
                        Check out the collage of pics from their PROJECTs on their web site of my Roadster.
                        http://www.lufteknic.com/projects/1961-porsche-356b-roadster/
                        It got finished in June 2010.

Name:	23.BackHome1stInClass.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	67920

They are finishing 1964 SC that will come from the paint shop tomorrow.
                        http://www.lufteknic.com/projects/1964-porsche-356sc-restoration/
                        Check their PROJECTS on their web site.
                        The pics should give you some insight.
                        Many times you will see the before and after pics but not the CRUD that is involved in between.
                        Hang in there.
                        Dick

Comment

Chris,
                          Don't put a timeline on your restoration.
                          Great forum for 356 know how.
                          Welcome aboard, Gordon

Comment

@John- Thanks for the note. I have exchanged a couple of emails with Tim. 7 years is a long time to wait.

@Dick- Another beautiful car you have. What a blessing to be able to drive that around. I have been in touch with Lufteknic as well. They do fantastic work, but were well beyond the reach of my budget when I talked to them.

I may have to reconsider my approach and do some garbage work on my own to get it to a functional state, and then have one of these fantastic shops beautify it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by gkw" post=30331
                              Chris,
                              Don't put a timeline on your restoration.
                              Thanks Gordon. I assume you are saying this because expectations and reality rarely align. I feel that I have to put a line in the sand out there somewhere or else I will fall into the same trap my father did. This car sat for over 30 years in the garage with nothing being done to it. I think if I can set small achievable goals within a reasonable time frame, it will keep me moving forward. (hopefully. Ha ha)

Comment

Working...
                              X