No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy,

I've read ABCGT on and off for quite a while but never signed up. Lots of great information and insight here. Glad to have finally joined.

I'm restoring a '53 Super coupe that's been in our shed for 35 years. Justin's Carrera project thread and others are *super* useful for us DIY types. Many thanks.

Welcome James,
    A great group of people here with much knowledge to offer. Always something
    new to learn, and many great ideas, instruction and entertainment... Looking forward to seeing your project.
    Cheers,
    Joel

Comment

Hi James,

I recognize your name from the Registry, thanks for joining us here as well and Welcome! Thank you for following my project and the nice words, we have several DIY's here putting on a real clinic. Then there's Pro's like Jack and Bruce to keep us all on track. If you're up for it consider sharing your '53 project as well, we'd love to see it! Hope your making some headway on it as another 35 years will here and gone before you know it.
      Thanks and Welcome once again!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Welcome! You will find a wealth of info here from great guys. I'm about to start back on my 57... Perhaps we will meet for a drive some time!

Comment

good to hear your getting back on your car Jeff!
          Justin Rio

Comment

James,
            Your car sounds great, in the shed for 35 years? Wow! Please consider starting a thread and posting pictures of your progress.

Tom
            Registry Number: Who Cares??

Comment

Welcome and yes pictures are nearly compulsory!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! I may not start a thread, as I've already started one over at 356Talk (sorry!), but I'm happy to share anything over here. This project is going to require a lot of time and effort.

Comment

Ya, it feels good. I think I might start a thread to keep the pressure on!

Comment

James, that is just fine. Please only submit what you feel comfortable with. This site is strictly just for fun and if you and anyone else reading this for that matter prefers keeping your activity to the other sites like the Samba, Pelican, the Registry, etc. then that is what I strongly encourage you to do. Bruce Baker will sometimes tell me: "hey I'm really sorry about not posting to the site recently but I've just been too busy at the shop". I always tell him please don't ever feel compelled or pressured to post here when you come by to visit. I want this place to remain a fun and enjoyable place to be for everyone; not just another obligation in your life.

My thanks to you guys for encouraging James just the same!

Sounds good Jeff, start one! No pressure.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

From a distance I have been watching this site. Great stuff and even with some overlapping themes on other sites, you manage to bring a "realness" to my reality of Porsches.

Ryles

Comment

James and Ryles,

Justin is so correct in saying his site is there for fun. Thats exactly what 356 owning should be about fun !! Once the fun goes its not the same. As Justin says when you are busy just come back when you can. In the time I have been on Justin's site there has never in my knowledge been a bad word about anyone or anything. That makes it a very special forum or does for me

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by James Davies" post=26623
                          Thanks for the warm welcome! I may not start a thread, as I've already started one over at 356Talk (sorry!), but I'm happy to share anything over here. This project is going to require a lot of time and effort.
                          James, great to see the crossing over from site-to-site and that's nothing for which to apologize! I'd hope that's to be done more as time goes by.

We can all learn something, anywhere, at any time, from anyone.

I'll hope you send links to each (mention this site when you post on the Registry site and post a link here when you post 'over there') as you progress with your work. This 'labor of love' for you is like Justin with the 356s he is doing and is seen not only by his postings of his great work but also by his dedication to this site. Let's also note that it's free! To us, not to Justin. (I personally think a few of us ("we") should give small donations to help cover expenses!)

Also personally (and back to the point), I have a soft spot for Speedsters, as a Speedster was my first 356 but it was soon followed by another and then (2) '53 Coupes, 51604 and 51605, in '65-'66. I remember the numbers being that were 'sister' cars, but I forget which one lived and which one gave it's life so the other could. I also had a '53 Cabriolet early on, pre-'68, but that didn't stay with me very long, as someone else wanted it more than I did (read: a profit was made, perhaps $50?) So, obviously, I also have a soft spot for the primitive '53 cars coming from my formative years. The '53 Coupe I finished as a hobbyist was my school 'commuter' car when a Speedster was, by design, "impractical." More 'fun' in an A than a pre-A but less so in the cold and rain or snow on trips from PA to CT for weekends with my pre-wife.

In any case and in all facets, let's all help to keep Justin's site FUN! (Correct, Roy?)

Thanks and best regards,
                          -Bruce Baker

Comment

I agree with you Bruce, the effort for Justin to keep this great forum alive and well must take up a lot of time and money. How he does all that and keep up his so informed posts on his cars is beyond me. I think on the same lines as you Bruce in thinking a contribution,though not obligatory, as I know he is against that, would not go amiss. If he could advise a way to do that, I would be most happy to oblige.

This forum is for certain a fun site, that is if you like tools, welding, fabrication, and spraying and not forgetting upholstery He always makes it fun to read his efforts!

Roy

Comment

Justin has good discipline, for sure. I would not like the idea of "burn out" for Justin or anyone here on his site. The best part is that IF any moderation is needed, it's one of the hats that Justin wears, but if he needs to do that, it's not obvious...at least to me.

It seems we self-moderate.

I do not get time to read every posting but wish I did. I gravitate to the threads that are, to me, interesting or that are about things of which I may know something or could learn something from and there are plenty of those.

This thread is of interest and I hope James puts his 2 cents in or at least posts some updates as he puts in his "hour a day" on his '53.

BTW, I am asked regularly about things posted on the Registry site and I'll occasionally be lead there, but if I have any time for forums, I use it here. Much more civil and friendly, with great variety and fantastic pictures, many of which I, an addicted Porsche junkie for 50 years, have never seen!

Regards,
                              -Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X