Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new member

Greetings,all.
    Was told of this site by a good friend. I've been a member for a few days, still groping around with my computer illiteracy, but, very glad to be here. The 4-cam stuff is my primary interest, as that fed my family for the past 20 years. That said, at 79+ years, working on Porsche since 1954 I'll chime in on other things also. Being of Irish decent, I'll ALWAYS have a story to tell!
    Gerry McCarthy

Thanks for joining Gerry! I look forward to reading about your Porsche experiences and stories!
    trevorcgates@gmail.com
    Engine # P66909... are you out there
    Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Welcome aboard Gerry, Its a great site with great people.
      Gordon

Comment

Gerry, Thanks once again for joining us here and please thank your friend for putting out the good word! If you have any questions concerning the site such as loading photo attachments etc. just let me know. Looking forward to any stories you're willing to share! Justin

BTW: are you still building 4-cam engines or have you since retired?
        Justin Rio

Comment

Welcome along! Its always nice to hear from experienced 356 guys. Your name is known to me even from across the pond.

Roy

Comment

Justin:
            I sold Kam Motorsports in November 2005, agreeing to work part time for the new owner. 2 years on he disappeared into the night, leaving much unhappiness in his wake. By then i had had 2 heart attacks, and was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I had also watched my protoge, Jeff Adams take wings beautifully. Today, he is as good as you can get inthe 4 cam world. All in all, a good time to move to my new recliner.
            I still consult, an make small parts, such as a line of 4 cam throttle linkage, which seems to disappear regularly.
            My Dr. tells me Im going to die, but not of prostate cancer. Some humor!
            Gerry McCarthy

Comment

Welcome Gerry. Looking forward to your 4 cam stories. My wife is of Irish decent. Know what you mean about stories.

Phil Planck

Comment

Would someone please explain the meaning/value of "karma", and how it is "calculated" for this site
                Gerry McCarthy

Comment

Its really nothing Gerry, just another way of thanking or rating a member for their participation. By hitting the "+" or "-" icon you can raise or lower the score accordingly. Thank you again BTW for your great Participation! I just raised yours.
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=25487
                    Its really nothing Gerry, just another way of thanking or rating a member for their participation. By hitting the "+" or "-" icon you can raise or lower the score accordingly. Thank you again BTW for your great Participation! I just raised yours.
                    Justin
                    Well crap, just read this - ah-ha something new! - and tried to raise Gerry's as I enjoy his posts but succeeded in taking him down a point instead. All thumbs here!
                    Ashley Page

Comment

If you are reading this....Hi Gerry.

Gerry has helped me enormously over the years as I have encountered 4-cam (and other) 356 'issues' that have been beyond my grasp, but I recently reconnected with my original mentor and former local 4-cam guru, Jack Heron.

Mid-way in age between Gerry and me, Jack, now retired from a second career outside of Porsche repair he began after GIVING me his/my first shop in 1973, still has his special tools and knowledge.

Here is a picture from yesterday's visit to review a C-2 engine that just 'leaks':
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_16651.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	63435
                      Maybe you knew him, Gerry? I believe he was in 4-cam school in '63 or '64.
                      Anyway, before and after my military interruption and I worked full or part-time for Jack, his shop was filled with Spyders, 4-cam 356s and engines.....and the best I could do was change spark plugs.

Not much has changed but color and amount of hair, sad to say.

Best to all who read this,
                      -Bruce Baker

Comment

Well crap, just read this - ah-ha something new! - and tried to raise Gerry's as I enjoy his posts but succeeded in taking him down a point instead. All thumbs here!
                        Not to worry Ashley, I fixed it.
                        Cheers,
                        Joel

Comment

Great story and photo to go with it Bruce.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	356SCnewyear_2015-12-31.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	71223
                            Happy new year Gerry McCarthy

you will outlive us all

at least in spirit

Comment

Welcome aboard!