Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nor Cal member

Hello Folks
    Just getting into 356's . Been around Porsche's my entire life as my father was, and still is at 80 yrs old, a Porschephile.

Looks like a great board and I look forward to learning and contributing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1385080_757954634220671_1361507401_n.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	37224
    Here I am at Daytona in the International Horseshoe in 930 770 0911 (009 0005)

Hey Van,

Thanks for join us here and Welcome to our forum! I love race cars so your photo immediately peaked my interest. If you have a chance please consider a post in the 911 section sharing any additional history, photos and details of this car you might be willing to share.

Do I understand correctly that your just now beginning to turn your attention to the 356? Are you actively or passively looking to getting into your first one? Year, model preference?
    Welcome once again!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hello Justin and thank you.

Would be happy to share info about this 935.

I have a friend who is into the 356's and one close friend who just got one. I also have a bunch of 356 parts that recently found their way into my garage so I am trying to learn and figure out what my next step is. Looking at a 57 356A coupe tomorrow.

Comment

My pleasure and Thanks; looking forward to learning about your 935.

Best of luck with the '57 tomorrow. Being a life-long Porsche guy you know all about potential rust issues and 356's corrode exceptionally well! Aside from cancer be very wary of good intentioned poorly executed rust repairs. A lot of time this creates far more "damage" and work to correct than the original rust that was being addressed. All you have to do is look at the build threads here performed by Tom, Phil, David and John (to name a few) to see how an initially fair priced donor car can quickly go south once you begin stripping it down and opening it up. If you need advice on what and where to look please don't hesitate to ask!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Van,

You must have hit reply to moderator instead of submit so your post reply was sent to me as a private email. I've copied and pasted it below. Thanks! Justin

Justin

Thank you so much for the advice. Similar to the issues that can haunt the 911's but one can never be reminded too many times to keep their head and not get emotional when purchasing one of these cars. I will certainly look the car over and take some photos and seek advice and opinions from you and the others on the board.

I still have a 935 but unfortunately the car we are talking about went to France last year. It is a great car with fantastic IMSA and European history. It is now in the Hawaiian Tropic livery it ran Le Mans in around 1980 with Bob Akin and Charles Mendez.

Cheers, Van
          Justin Rio

Comment

Van,

Must be nice live in your area where so many 356 cars ended up. I guess your dad owned some?

Hope the 57 looks good.

Justins threads are also so good ( he didn't say so but they are!)

Welcome along.

Roy

Comment

Van, the ZF Steering box you have remained unchanged through its production and is correct for all 356 cars mid'57 356AT2 until productions end in 1965. These boxes are of course a desired bolt on upgrade for any earlier 356. Some additional details can be found here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/4-356-Forum/5072-Evolution-of-the-356A-T1--T2-How-they-differ.html?limit=6&start=90

Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
              X