New guy from England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy from England

Hey Drew, Thank you for joining and welcome to our forum!! A lot of very interesting projects you've had over the years and you're still hungry for another? Look forward to a few photos of your cars! Thanks and Welcome once again! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin
      Here is my old 1959 RHD coupe, she was my daily driver for around 10 years but needed some quite major surgery to keep her on the road.
      One memorable journey was a trip to 24hr Le Mans, traveling down with a friends 911 RS lightweight. He had to stop every few miles to let me catch up but we had a great weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LEMANS.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	31810

I will try and dig out some restoration pics and post them in the restoration section in a couple of weeks.
      Regards
      Drew

Comment

great photo... welcome!

Comment

Drew,

Welcome along here. You have had some interesting cars. The Kubelwagen for one and the BF109E parts must really be interesting. My brother has some alloy pieces from a crashed one in Kent ( pilot survived ) but do you have mechanical items? I helped him restore a Messerschmitt 3 wheeler about 15 years ago a very early one I will find the photos.

Regarding the 356A I have seen often WUF 810 and met the current owner. You should join www.ddk-online.com we like 356 previous owners and those looking for another one.

WUF 810 is now in fantastic condition maybe you already know that?

I attach a photo of the car these days.

Name:	2010_0307kidsgoodwood0008.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	31879

Name:	2010_0307kidsgoodwood0009.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	31880

Roy

Comment

Thank you Roy
            I had heard that WUF 810 was in good hands but the pictures you have posted show her to be in much better condition than I had expected.
            Here is a picture of my Type 82 on the day I sold it.

Name:	20131124_102847.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	31893

More pictures to follow.
            Regards
            Drew

Comment

Very nice looking resto on that 810 Drew! I imagine this was a complete project more or less, I would think parts for these vehicles are hard to come by??
              Thanks for posting those shots of Drew's old A coupe Roy! I'm sure the current owner would love to have copy of that old shot Drew posted earlier. I find it quite interesting that the license plate becomes the identity of the car over your way. By contrast, over the last 40 years we've registered my A coupe 3 times with the state of California and its received a new plate each time. Nice stuff so far Drew and Looking forward to more! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	post-4224-1133254207.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	31929Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0109.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	31928

More pics to follow.
                Regards
                Drew

Comment

Drew,

Fantastic D. The kubelwagen also so nice to have a guy on board here thats been through the mill so to speak. I love restoration stories and how its all done. I have never taken my 'A' into a garage for work in 44 years ( apart from MOT tests.) However not all my work work has been to the standard normally achieved these days. I have to admit to some bodges to keep my car original as possible. But.. I do know where there is a bit of electrolux fridge under my car. I had some pieces used when welding up some other cars and I couldn't be bothered to go to our local hardware store that stocked steel sheet.

We just didn't have the same commitment back then or rather I didn't. Tell you one thing though, you the fridge metal has lasted so well, probably galvanised? Didn't know then not nice to weld galvanised steel health wise?

Roy

Comment

Nice work Drew! She sure was rough when you found her; a lot of fabrication I'm sure to bring it back to factory specs. The D looks very as well! Look forward to more shots of your past collection. Thanks for sharing them!

Roy, your story reminds me of my father in the late '70's cutting small sections from old fenders and doors from various other makes which had a similar bend or shape pattern needed to repair rust around the door openings on his brothers 65 C cabriolet and his own 56 coupe (my coupster project.) They were all gas welded in and a few still remain in there to this day. So the old fridge metal is not too outlandish; its all steel. Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Drew,

Good to hear your still in the market for yet another "A"

I'm near Reigate so not to far away from you, be nice to meet up with WUF for a catch up ?

Some up to date pictures of WUF for you

All the best

Garry

Name:	DSC_1072.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	33715

Name:	photo6.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	33716

Name:	DSC_0970.JPG
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	33717

Comment

Garry,
                        Pleased you joined up here. I didn't realise you knew Drew when I posted on DDK. He seems as interested as us in aircooling

Yes, will look out for you at Goodwood.

Hope you both visit this site often, I can get all the enjoyment of fabrication, welding and leading without the pain of having to do it and then realising I should have put in more effort. Some of these guys are amazing! I have learnt so much actually just watching them

Roy

Comment

Nice Photos! I see that Drew's old car is in good hands. Thanks for posting and Welcome to our forum Garry! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Kubelwagen's are awesome! Sorry you sold it. Welcome and good to meet you!

Comment

Hi Guys
                              The new 356 project is getting nearer, I am going to keep it under wraps until it lands in the UK but as soon as it's here I will post a full restoration thread.
                              Here is another pic of WUF the day it passed it's MOT after some major surgery around the rear torsion bar area.

Name:	CHAMPAGNE98.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	35023

More soon.
                              Regards
                              Drew

Comment

Working...
                              X