New Guy and Porscheholic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy and Porscheholic

Greetings all! Just found this site. My first post was pics of the 1961 356 cab I posted in the way it was thread - the 356 I almost bought in 1966 but just barely didn't! Early influences were Steve McQueen, who lived up the street, a very cool guy who would stop when I was playing out front in my junior years and would let me ogle his cars, and my "cool" uncle who had a 356A coupe. Always into sports cars, my first two cars (both while I was 16) were an Austin Healey "bugeye" Sprite and an MGB. Finally got my first 356 in 2006, about 40 years after I passed on the first, and my first 911 in 1993 when I drove off with a new '93 911 RS America a year after I ditched my ex who didn't believe in such frivolities. Now driving an '09 Turbo daily, and looking to spruce up my '60 356 Coupe which is a 10-20' driver.

Long time member of 356 Registry and some other Porsche forums.

Thanks for posting this and Welcome once again Jim! Very interesting history and even more amazing is that you waited for 40 years to finally make your dream come true; very cool story. Tells us more about your Steve McQueen memories. You lived down the street from him? Was this in the Hollywood hills area? Did you ever get a chance to speak with him about his Speedster? Some photos of your current cars would be great!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Welcome Jim--I think you will love abcgt.com and the wonderful forum that Justin has put together for us. I first saw a 356 in 1951 or so in Munich, where we lived for awhile, and wanted one ever since. Got mine in 1995 (B coupe). Drive her every chance I get.

Pat Daily

Comment

Jim,

Like Pat I agree, this forum is friendly and inviting, its really only what we all need, people who enjoy the same cars as we own and drive. My dad had a frog-eye (sorry bug) a nice car to drive and work on. Sounds like you lived in an interesting area as a boy. Cars make impressions when you are young. My uncle had a new Sunbeam Talbot 90 coupe in the middle 50's and its roof line was so low it made all other cars so high! Then in 57/58 saw my first 356 cars close up. They were even lower so that started me off on Porsche.

Welcome along.

Roy

Comment

Working...
        X