New Guy From Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy From Maryland

My name is Chris. I've been in Maryland for 26 years, but Philly will always be my home. I've been restoring, collecting and "racing" cars for about 35 years I've owned mainly Fords, but have always loved all things Porsche. Earlier this year, I got the go ahead from the boss to pursue a 356. A friend of mine who's owned a real Speedster since the 60s told me we might consider a replica. His logic was that his car had become so valuable, he was terrified to take it out and enjoy it. We thought about what he'd said for a long time and opted to have a replica built. While we're very, very happy with it, the genuine 356 was still calling. While looking for a project 356, I stumbled upon a car too compelling to pass up. A '61 T5B, it had an engine problem early in life, was disassembled and never re-assembled. It was stored in the California desert until being discovered and restored in 2012. While I am assured there is no such thing as a rust free 356, this one's pretty damned close. Its sheet metal is 100% original; it is all matching numbers and it's been restored to a very nice driver standard. It has just enough wrong with it to give me something with which to tinker, but we are quite happy with it.

Well, I've bored you more than enough - here are some pics. Thanks for having me...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06252-1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	27304

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	27305

Name:	IMG_39191.JPG
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	27306

Name:	IMG_05961.JPG
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	27307

Name:	Photo52.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	27308

Name:	photo.JPG
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	27309

Welcome along Chris, Well, what a lovely pair of cars. The speedster rep looks great and yes, it useable in any weather. The BT5 again how few there are in original chassis condition. Looks a super car you are a very lucky guy indeed.

Enjoy the forum, I can say you are one of the few who can look at all the restoration pages without having to touch a welder

Roy

Comment

Chris, I don't how I missed this but I managed to, sorry. A belated warm welcome to Our forum! Thank you for joining and posting these shots of your Porsche's. You are officially the 4th guy I know of who owns both real cars and a replica. This is exactly why we welcome anything Porsche shaped here. Your T5 looks and sounds like an amazing find in this day and age; not a whole lot of rust free examples come along anymore. It seems you have all the bases covered: A 996 for creature comfort driving and a Spartan Speedster for the pure early sports car experience. Nice cars, all of them! Thanks and welcome once again! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Chris,
        A very sweet fleet you have there. Nice lens work too. Welcome.

Best regards,
        Joel

Comment

Working...
        X